Job #: req22659
Organization: World Bank
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Arabic
Closing Date: 5/25/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
Mediation Services (MEF) is an independent, informal, and confidential office in the World Bank Group (WBG) whose purpose is to facilitate effective communication among staff members and assist them in reaching mutually acceptable solutions to workplace issues or concerns which affect them. MEF is one of several Ethics and Internal Justice Services (EIJ) available to WBG staff.
To build an effective global institution to fight poverty and boost prosperity, the WBG needs a workplace environment that values diversity, and promotes open communication, mutual trust and teamwork. It is the policy of the WBG to encourage staff and managers to address and resolve work-related disputes timely and directly whenever it is possible. MEF is available to staff who are either unable to resolve their issues directly or who believe they can benefit from the assistance of a neutral third party.
In addition to mediation, MEF offers facilitation, team building, and conflict management training. MEF works and liaises with other EIJ and related services (Ombuds, Peer Review Services, Administrative Tribunal, Ethics and Business Conduct, Integrity Vice Presidency, Human Resources, Staff Association) on organizational and institutional concerns. MEF reports to the Vice President of Ethics and Internal Justice.
MEF is seeking a qualified professional for a full-time position as a Mediation Officer. He/she will carry out his or her substantive duties under the direction of the Manager, Mediation Services. To enhance access to MEF services by staff located in the Middle East and Northern Africa (MNA) country offices, this position is based in the Cairo, Egypt office.
Duties and Accountabilities: The main responsibility of the Mediation Officer is the prompt and efficient administration of mediation services. This includes, among other duties:
- Mediate and manage cases from intake to closure
- Design and deliver training (conflict resolution, negotiation skills, communication)
- Facilitate group interventions and team building activities
- Prepare blogs, case summaries, and contribute to internal reports
- Conduct outreach activities to raise awareness about MEF services
- Provide analytical insight, conduct research, and provide professional support to the Manager. Additionally, the Mediation Officer may be asked to:
- Identify patterns and analyze issues in the region and contribute to WBG/ EIJ initiatives and activities
- In the absence of and when appointed by the Manager, represent the office and provide direction, and guidance
- Assist with the management of the Mediation Roster
- Master’s degree or equivalent or higher in law, conflict resolution, organizational development, social science, or other related fields with a minimum of five years of experience (in conflict resolution, international organizations, are highly desirable) or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certificate of professional training as a mediator (40 hours minimum)
- Experience mediating workplace disputes
- Experience facilitating group interventions and or moderating team activities
- Proven problem-solving skills and emotional acumen
- Strong theoretical base in dispute resolution, combined with a broad grasp of relevant theory and best practices
- Ability to translate theory of dispute resolution concepts into practical application in context of WBG work.
- Proven training skills and experience in developing training materials
- Ability to participate productively in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, to inspire trust and to demonstrate high personal integrity
- Excellent and proven interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; fluency in languages particularly Arabic would be highly desirable. Must be able to travel extensively within the Region
- Proven ability to promote and contribute to a collaborative team environment, build trust among colleagues, work effectively across disciplines and organizational boundaries including with senior officials, and effectively handle conflict.
- Additional certification (Behavioral Assessments, Conflict Management, Organizational Consulting) desired.
- Knowledge and experience working in the Middle East and Northern Africa is highly desirable.
- Lead and Innovate: Applies critical thinking to current approaches, identifies areas for improvement, and tries new solutions that drive results. Inspires and influences others to drive innovation. Operates in ambiguity and changing needs and supports others to do the same.
- Drive for Results: Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results and has the personal organization to do so. Sets challenging goals and seeks continuously for further improvements. Acts as a trusted, strategic advisor, partnering with collaborators to deliver results. Understands stakeholders’ most pressing challenges and contributes to solutions.
- Collaborate within Teams and Work Across Boundaries: contribute productively to the team’s work and output. Keeps others informed to ensure integration and meaningful results. Displays a sense of mutuality and respect and resolves conflicts productively. Seeks and listens to others’ input to inform own decision-making and openly shares information. Frames thinking/actions with a WBG corporate perspective in mind.
- Create, Apply, and Share Knowledge: contribute to an environment where knowledge is created, applied and shared. Contributes to the unit’s and WBG’s body of knowledge by applying lessons learned and expertise. Actively invests in own knowledge and seeks feedback. Builds personal and professional networks within and beyond the work group.
- Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making: Seeks and analyzes facts, data, and lessons learned to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others’ work. Shows initiative when necessary and makes decisions in a timely manner within own area of responsibility.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.