Senior Developer, Financial Applications
Job #: req22912
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Information Technology
Term Duration: 4 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 6/16/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
ITS Vice Presidency Context:
Information and Technology Solutions (ITS) enables the WBG to achieve its mission of ending extreme poverty and promote shared prosperity in a sustainable way by delivering transformative information and technologies to its staff working in over 150 locations. Our vision is to transform how the Bank Group accomplishes its mission through information and technology. In this fast-paced, ever-changing world, the formulation and implementation of the ITS strategy is an ongoing, iterative process of learning and adaptation developed through extensive consultations with business partners throughout the World Bank Group.
ITS shapes its strategy in response to changing business priorities and leverages new technologies to achieve three high-level business outcomes: business enablement, by providing Bank Group units with innovative digital tools and technologies to transform how they deliver value for their clients; empowerment & effectiveness, by ensuring that all Bank Group staff are connected, able to find information, and productive to accelerate the delivery of development solutions globally; and resilience, by equipping the Bank Group to provide risk-based cybersecurity and robust data protection for a global network and a growing cloud platform.
Implementation of the strategy is guided by three core principles. The first is to deliver solutions for business partners that are customer-centric, innovative, and transformative. The second is to provide the Bank Group with value for money with selective and standard technologies. The third principle is to excel at the basics by providing a high performing, robust, and resilient IT environment for the organization.
The Information Technology Solutions – Treasury (ITSTR) unit supports Treasury systems and provides highly specialized technology services to all business lines within Treasury. The World Bank Treasury (Treasury) provides asset management, banking and debt management, and capital markets services to the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and its affiliates and member countries. Treasury also carries out extensive collaborations with finance officials of member countries and their agencies with the objective of building members’ capacity in public wealth and debt management. The scale of these activities is substantial: Treasury currently manages US$200 billion debt portfolio, $200 billion asset portfolio, $600 billion derivatives portfolio, and $7.2 trillion in annual cash flows.
The ITSTR team is comprised of staff and consultants located at World Bank headquarters in Washington, DC (USA), Chennai (India), and Sofia (Bulgaria). ITSTR supports financial applications and technology infrastructure in areas including cash management, banking, financial messaging, accounting, investment, liquidity, funding, and asset and liability management.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Participate in the feasibility analysis for new systems/applications
- Interface with business analysts, project managers, and/or clients to clarify requirements
- Participate in systems design, working within an established framework.
- Develop technical specifications
- Participate in systems integration efforts, executing as needed to integrate new applications into the installed base
- Develop and/or configure applications or application components to meet documented needs, utilizing standard procedures and techniques in, SQL, PL/SQL, Oracle Apex (or similar Oracle UI development technology), and shell scripting in Unix and Windows environments
- Set up or change application reports using reporting tools
- Test own work, perform peer reviews, contribute to the development of test plans, and participate in post-implementation reviews as needed
- Provide daily operational support for production systems including providing on-call support as needed
- Write system documentation as needed
- Participate in user training, as appropriate, on new or revised systems/applications
- Establish/maintain processes to monitor the operations of existing application systems and alert staff in case of issues
- Gain quick understanding of existing applications and implement necessary changes in SQL, PL/SQL, Oracle Apex, Unix shell scripting (ksh, csh, bash), and Windows scripting
- Create new queue managers and configure them in IBM Websphere MQ per required standards and support existing instances including troubleshooting issues
- Meet all audit requirements by following established procedures for change management
- Have a keen eye to security of the applications
- Test applications to ensure OS patches and/or Windows updates do not have an adverse impact on applications
- Master’s degree in Information Technology with 5 years relevant experience OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Sound engineering judgment about the differing tradeoffs of competing approaches to technical problems
- Proven experience in the areas noted under “Required Technical Experience” in the capacity described under “Roles and Responsibilities”
- Self-motivation to learn new things and contribute to more than one area
- Willingness to contribute to the work program in any needed capacity
- Ability to effectively liaise with stakeholders on technical issues
- Experience in software development life cycle including unit testing, systems integration testing, and user acceptance testing
- Experience in change management procedures
- Willingness to support applications in on-call capacity in a nearly 24X7 environment
- Willingness to provide support on weekends as needed in conjunction with patching of applications, underlying operating systems, and databases
- Proven ability to contribute to projects with minimal guidance
- Capacity to work both independently and in a team
- Willingness to seek advice and assistance when needed
- Excellent communication (oral & written) and collaboration skills
- Keen eye to security of financial applications and data privacy concerns
- Keen understanding of audit requirements for financial applications
Required Technical Experience:
- Oracle database technology and concepts
- Oracle Apex or other Oracle UI development tools such as Oracle Forms
- Oracle SQL and PL/SQL programming
- Unix scripting (Korn shell, C shell, Bash)
- Windows scripting
- IBM Websphere MQ concepts, setup, and configuration
Preferred Additional Technical Experience:
- Reporting Tools
- Financial messaging concepts
- SWIFT messaging and knowledge of SWIFT Alliance products and HSMs
- Financial applications including cash management applications such as Quantum
- Market Data knowledge and experience
- Python programming
- Change management and version control tools (Git, ADO, SVN, etc.)
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.