Climate Change Consultant for Operations with Public Sector Intermediaries
Post of duty: Washington D.C- USA
The IDB Group is a community of diverse, versatile, and passionate people who come together on a journey to improve lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. Our people find purpose and do what they love in an inclusive, collaborative, agile, and rewarding environment.
About this position
We are looking for a motivated, high-performing, and collaborative team member to join us as Climate Change Consultant to focus on intermediated finance transactions developed by the Connectivity, Finance and Markets Division (CMF) with national development banks and public sector financial institutions . As a Climate Change Consultant, you provide technical assistance to introduce key climate and sustainability considerations in IDB operations such as the analysis to ensure their alignment to the Paris Agreement (PA) and the promotion of climate finance and nature-positive investments in their formulation. This position mainly entails operational work, as well as capacity building.
You will work in the Connectivity, Markets and Finance Division (CMF), in close coordination with the Climate Change Division (CCS). This team develops funding mechanisms and risk mitigation structures to mobilize private sector investments and ensure inclusive and sustainable development.
What you’ll do :
- Support the inclusion of climate change considerations in CMF’s dialogue in different levels and design and implement a joint workplan CMF-CCS.
- In coordination with CCS, support the alignment of operations with the PA and mainstream climate change activities, from concept and eligibility stage until their approval and keep the corresponding registries in coordination with the team leader/project team.
- Actively collaborate with project teams in reaching/supporting common conclusions on how to mainstream climate change activities and ensure PA alignment in new operations, including advising sectorial strategies and dialogue with financial institutions counterparties,
- Assist the process of applying Joint MDB Assessment Framework for Paris Alignment , in accordance with the governance arrangements, principles and technical guidance established in the implementation approach developed at the IDB Group. As well as the MDB Joint Methodology on Climate Finance and the IDB’s green finance methodological approach.
- Synthesize findings from the assessment of PA alignment in CMF operations, contributing to advancing the refinement of the IDB Group technical guidance, with a focus on global credit operations with national development banks.
- Prepare training materials for CMF personnel and Borrowers on how the application of the methodologies for PA Alignment, Climate Finance and Green Finance is conducted in CMF operations, the instruments used and the steps of the process along IDB sovereign operations approval cycle.
- Support CMF specialists on technical matters related to Paris Agreement alignment, green and climate finance, including supporting development of Sustainable Finance Taxonomies and Sustainable Finance Dialogues.
- Help consolidate knowledge products and build capacities regarding climate and Paris Alignment across the Bank.
- Other related tasks as required.
What you’ll need
- Education: Professional with a post-graduate degree in economics, natural resources economics, public policy, international development, urban planning, or related fields.
- Experience: At least 5 years of progressive experience in fields relevant to this role: climate change policy, multilateral development bank operations, work in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Languages: Proficiency in Spanish and English, spoken and written, is required. Additional knowledge of French and Portuguese is preferable.
Key skills :
- Learn continuously
- Collaborate and share knowledge
- Focus on clients
- Communicate and influence
- Innovate and try new things
- Citizenship: You are a citizen of one of our 48-member countries.
- Consanguinity : You have no family members (up to the fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB, IDB Invest, or IDB Lab.
Type of contract and duration:
- Type of contract: International Consultant Full-Time
- Length of contract: 24 months
- Work Location: On site.
What we offer
The IDB group provides benefits that respond to the different needs and moments of an employee’s life. These benefits include:
- A competitive compensation packages
- Leaves and vacations : 2 days per month of contract + gender- neutral parental leave
- Health Insurance : the IDB Group provides a monthly allowance for the purchase of health insurance
- Savings plan : The IDB Group cares about your future, depending on the length of the contract, you will receive a monthly savings plan allowance.
- We offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your family when it applies
- Hybrid and flexible work schedules
- Development support: We offer learning opportunities to boost your professional profile such as seminars, 1:1 professional counseling, and much more.
- Health and wellbeing: Access to our Health Services Center which provides preventive care and health education for all employees.
- Other perks: Lactation Room, Daycare Center, Gym, Bike Racks, Parking, and others.
At the IDB Group we work so everyone brings their best and authentic selves to work, willing to try new approaches without fear, and where they are accountable and rewarded for their actions.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) are at the center of our organization. We celebrate all dimensions of diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+ people, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job interview process. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at email@example.com to request reasonable accommodation to complete this application.
Our Human Resources Team reviews carefully every application.
About the IDB Group
The IDB Group, composed of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), IDB Invest, and the IDB Lab offers flexible financing solutions to its member countries to finance economic and social development through lending and grants to public and private entities in Latin America and the Caribbean.
We work to improve lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. Through financial and technical support for countries working to reduce poverty and inequality, we help improve health and education and advance infrastructure. Our aim is to achieve development in a sustainable, climate-friendly way. With a history dating back to 1959, today we are the leading source of development financing for Latin America and the Caribbean. We provide loans, grants, and technical assistance; and we conduct extensive research. We maintain a strong commitment to achieving measurable results and the highest standards of integrity, transparency, and accountability.
Follow us : https://www.linkedin.com/company/inter-american-development-bank/
- External Opening Date: May 30, 2023
- External Closing Date: Jun 16, 2023
- External Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- External Contact Name: HR Service Center
- Job Field: Technical Support