Job Identification : 13684
Locations : Cox’s Bazaar, Bangladesh
Posting Date : 09/15/2023, 09:13 AM
Apply Before : 09/22/2023, 09:00 PM
Job Schedule : Full time
Grade : P2
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Rotational/Non Rotational : Non-Rotational
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education and Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 2 year(s) experience
Required Languages : Englsih
Vacancy Timeline : 1 Week
Job Category : Humanitarian & Emergency Response
This is a re-advertisement – Previous applicants need not to reapply.
The Midwife Mentor position will be based in Cox’s Bazar. They report to the Programme Specialist-SRH based in Cox’s Bazar.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Since August of 2017, a refugee influx of 750,000 people precipitated an already protracted refugee situation in to a protracted crisis. UNFPA through partners has deployed nearly 300 newly licensed national midwives to support the government health facilities to provide Sexual Reproduce Health (SRH) services. The purpose of this position is to mentor the national midwives, their managers as well as the doctors that work with them to enable and capacitate evidence-based respectful midwifery-led care within an inter-disciplinary team for the refugee and host community girls and women.
You would be responsible for:
- Provide oversight and support to health facility managers to enable national midwives to provide quality comprehensive SRH services with a focus on maternal health.
- Provide relevant trainings to the midwives and involved doctors on bedside teaching, and mentorship.
- Assess and respond to challenges in the enabling environment, including logistics and commodities and capacity or communicate to relevant support systems.
- Facilitate/support the midwives to improve/expand services within their scope of practice.
- Coordinate with other partners offering SRH services and participate in SRH working group, as needed.
- Develop guidelines for provision of SRH care to refugees and host communities, as needed.
- Build capacity of midwives to provide initial stabilization of emergencies when needed, and evidence based routine maternity care, including respectful adolescent friendly ANC, delivery, and PNC services.
- Build capacity of midwives to provide comprehensive SRH services including family planning, cervical cancer screening, MR/PAC, clinical management of rape, health response to gender-based violence and prevention and treatment of sexually transmitted infections.
- Coordinate training and mentoring sessions on all aspects of comprehensive SRHR.
- Support an effective response that integrates SRH (including Adolescent and Sexual Reproductive Health), gender-based violence (GBV) and data interventions.
- Develop and support the implementation of systems to strengthen the quality of SRHR service delivery.
- Build capacity of midwives to provide the needed data for monitoring and evaluation.
Advocacy and Partnership
- Advocate within facilities for evidence-based respectful adolescent-friendly midwifery led SRH services.
- Coordinate with other partners at the facility level to synergize SRH care provision.
- Contribute to SRH sector meetings and within all other situational Reports as needed.
Project Management Support
- Provide support to assessment of SRH needs of the affected population particularly as it relates to midwives, any needed.
- Provide input for oversight (in collaboration with the Logistics/Procurement officer) procurement of emergency Reproductive Health (RH) kits, equipment and medical supplies.
- Oversee national midwife supervisors.
- Assist in developing/adapting protocols for selected areas in programme coordination (such as syndromic case management of sexually transmitted infections (STIs), referral for emergency obstetric care, midwifery, fistula repair, medical response to survivors of rape, counselling and family planning services, etc.).
- Coach and support the midwives and other health care providers to strengthen the implementation of sexual and reproductive health priorities.
- Provide inputs for Situational Reports and other communication products, as required.
- Conduct monitoring/mentoring visits and ensure a systematic approach for tracking barriers, challenges, and progress within facilities.
Qualifications and Experience:
Advanced university degree in midwifery, nursing, medicine or International Confederation of Midwives standard midwife or related fields.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 2 years of full scope clinical midwifery experience.
- Experience with mentoring and training.
- Technical knowledge of current developments in sexual and reproductive health care.
- Strong expertise in capacity development.
- Knowledge and understanding of the health care in low resource settings, particularly in the areas of reproductive health.
- Experience in the humanitarian situation is an added advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS word, Excel, etc.), experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Fluency in English is required; knowledge of other official UN languages is preferable.
Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
Embracing cultural diversity,
Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
Thinking analytically and strategically,
Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results-based programmes
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilisation
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.