The Busara Center for Behavioral Economics is an advisory and research organization focused on evaluation and implementation of behavioral interventions in understudied countries and populations. Busara’s mission is to work with researchers and organizations to advance and apply behavioral science in pursuit of poverty alleviation.
- Experience 2 years
- Location Lagos
About the role:
We are looking for a qualified qualitative researcher, enthusiastic about human-centered design, to join our team.
A qualitative research specialist supports the company’s research and consulting arms, by leading the design, planning, execution, analysis, presentation, and publication of Busara’s qualitative research projects. The post holder leads many aspects of research, particularly planning, designing, implementing and analyzing both in person and virtual qualitative research.
To ensure high levels of rigor in research initiatives, a Qualitative Research Specialist serves as an internal expert for the rest of the organization and offers a technical core to the project teams.
Design and analyze qualitative research projects in collaboration with staff in other divisions.
- Incorporate qualitative and quantitative methods, behavioral science, psychology, and economics into projects managed by Busara’s other divisions.
- Design qualitative research instruments that can be conducted by other people (namely Field officers) in collaboration with Qual and Design staff and Busara’s other divisions.
- Identify the most appropriate qualitative methodologies to answer particular research questions that take budget, time and logistical constraints into consideration.
- Generate key research inputs, such as pre-analysis plans, recruitment protocols, analysis code templates, field officer training and data check templates.
- Provide ad-hoc technical support to all projects that have qualitative research within them, including research being conducted by other organizations. This can include training other members of staff to conduct high quality research and providing support with analysis.
- Rapidly analyse data from qualitative interviews conducted by others using a variety of methods such as NVivo, data stripping and thematic analysis.
- Create analysis frameworks/ coding sheets to act as templates for qualitative analysis in order to enable multiple people to analyse the data and be aligned with what they should be reporting.
- Write qualitative analysis reports and present findings to clients that directly answer their research questions and can be transformed into design challenges for intervention design.
- Conduct qualitative research both in person and remotely with target audiences, thought leaders and other stakeholders.
Lead the delivery of qualitative research outputs
- Assist/ lead in producing and delivering reports and presentations of the research work for consulting clients.
- Generate blog posts and/or podcast episodes in collaboration with the communications department that communicates research output to a more general audience.
- Generate high quality academic working papers and journal publications on Busara’s internal and external experimental research.
- Contribute to building out of local academic networks.
- Attend and present Busara’s work at academic and practitioner conferences around the world.
- Keep abreast of developments in qualitative research and design, and promote qualitative research capability within Busara through knowledge sharing and training activities and the development of new approached.
- Manage the delivery of qualitative research including being responsible for the outputs being delivered by other members of staff, ensuring project sticks to deadlines, liaising with clients and managing all logistics associated with project management.
Support Qual and Design activities and organizational learning and development.
- Support the production of research best-practice guides and tools for internal use.
- Provide ad-hoc analysis and writing support for business development, such as writing concept notes, attending client pitches etc.
- Provide structured mentorship and feedback to junior members of staff working closely with the QRS on projects.
- Manage Qualitative Analysts and contribute towards their learning and growth towards Research specialists.
- Contribute towards Busara’s internal and external training programs in Qualitative Research and behavioral science, including designing and running workshops, assessing staff on their comprehension of qualitative research, training Field officers and staff to conduct high quality research, conducting reading group sessions, host weekly office hours, and conducting online training.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences e.g. Anthropology, Sociology, Psychology and Humanities, Economics, Public Policy, or related fields.
- Experience designing qualitative research (preferably large scale research) including instrument development, protocol, recruitment screening, pre analysis plans and training others to conduct research.
- Experience conducting qualitative research within a business setting
- Experience conducting interviews and moderating group dialogues.
- Experience utilizing ethnographic research tools e.g. participant observation, journals, photovoice, digital ethnography etc…
- Experience using varied data analysis techniques such as Nvivo, QDA Miner, Atlas
- Strong analytical and writing skills
- 2+ years previous work experience in a related field
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently and a team player.
- Interest and experience working in a fast-paced working environment.
- Strong ability to communicate the power of qualitative research to stakeholders from varied backgrounds.
- Excellent communication and writing skills, with a strong ability to present information in a concise, insightful, structured and provocative manner, both in written and oral forms.
- Experience working with low-income populations in emerging markets and/or experience working on the continent.
- A Master’s degree or PhD in Social Sciences, Anthropology, Psychology, Sociology, Economics, Public Policy, or related fields.
- Experience managing or mentoring staff
- Familiarity with and interest in behavioral economics or science
- Previous experience conducting research in developing countries
- Strong knowledge of HCD approach
- Understanding of experimental design, including RCTs and A/B testing.
As applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the vacancy is filled, you are encouraged to submit your application soonest possible.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Busara Center for Behavioral Economics on jobs.lever.co to apply