Sightsavers is an international organisation that changes lives for the long term. We work in more than 30 countries to eliminate avoidable blindness and support people with visual impairments to live independently.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager – Disability Inclusive Development Programme
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract
Reports to: Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager – Inclusion / DID MEL Manager
Department: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning, Operations, Planning and Finance Directorate
Contract: 2 years’ Fixed Term Contract
- Sightsavers is looking for a motivated and skilled Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) professional to join the dynamic, global MEL Team as the Disability Inclusive Development (DID) Programme MEL Manager.
- The post-holder will be the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning technical lead and manager of the DID Programme projects.
- The DID programme is a consortium programme that aims to improve the long-term well-being and inclusion of people with disabilities.
- The DID programme commenced in 2018 and is expected to conclude in July 2024.Sightsavers leads the consortium in implementing five health and education projects in Nigeria, Kenya and Bangladesh.
- The post-holder will develop and implement DID’s adaptive management approach that guides its oversight and reporting, and further develop participatory and inclusive MEL practices. Working collaboratively with key MEL team members, the postholder will develop and test MEL tools and practices with the intention of cascading these tools, practices and learning to the broader MEL team and to other Sightsavers staff and partners.
- We are looking for a MEL professional who is an excellent collaborator, creative problem solver and able to provide technical support at the micro and macro level.
- This position will be expected to provide technical MEL leadership in social inclusion at programmatic and project level, including on the collection and use of inclusive data. Experience in MEL for education or social inclusion is essential.
- The postholder is expected to travel up to six weeks a ye
Technical Leadership and Management:
- Play a key role as a member of the Global Coordination Team that manages Sightsavers’ DID portfolio.
- Lead on the design, implementation and oversight of the MEL plans (including theories of change) for the DID projects.
- Coordinate consortium partners’ inputs to delivering MEL plans through establishing and coordinating MEL sub-committees.
- Represent Sightsavers at consortium meetings and forums on MEL.
Learning, Adaptation and Evidence:
- Consolidate /sense make evidence and learning from MEL processes to generate knowledge around project implementation, using participatory methods.
- Feed knowledge into internal and external forums and networks and facilitate reflection, learning and adaptation among project teams and partners.
- Lead on the development and dissemination of learning and evidence products and promote a culture of learning on the DID programme.
- Closely collaborate and coordinate with Evidence and Research Advisors who have a role in the programme’s evidence generation.
- Develop research protocols for MEL work on projects and ensure compliance with ethical data principles, data protection legislation and research ethics approval procedures as applicable per country.
- Procure and manage evaluation consultants and/or contribute towards evaluative enquiry.
- Disseminate key learning and best practice to external and internal stakeholders through engagement in conferences, networks and country visits.
Developing and Improving:
- Provide technical support to country teams to develop and improve their monitoring and learning practice during project implementation.
- Lead and develop the two MEL Officers to ensure high levels of performance, motivation and continuous professional development.
- Influence and strengthen Sightsavers MEL practice based on own learning andexperience.
- With MEL colleagues, support the development, integration and learning from approaches to inclusive data, especially disability data, in line with the Inclusive Data Charter to which Sightsavers is a signatory
Monitoring and Reporting:
- Lead on the design, management, implementation, consolidation and reporting of baseline, annual and endline data.
- Provide technical support, quality assure and contribute to results framework and narrative reporting to the DID fund manager.
- Provide technical support and input for systems and process as they emerge in relation to the Learning, Accountability, and Monitoring Progress (LAMP) framework for Social Inclusion and Inclusive Education
- The principal accountabilities are not meant to be an exhaustive list of tasks. The need for flexibility is required and the job holder is expected to perform any other related duties that are within the employee’s skills and abilities whenever reasonably instructed.
Knowledge (education and related experience):
- Educated to a Master’s level in a relevant field.
- A degree in a relevant field such as disability studies, international development / relations, public health, education or gender studies would be beneficial.
- Strong understanding of the international development/not-for-profit sector specifically systems strengthening and working in partnership with government.
- Project management certification (or equivalent work experience)
- Understanding and knowledge of adaptive management and corresponding MEL approaches.
- Demonstrable experience producing a range of polished written products in English for technical and general audiences.
- Experience in developing research protocols and conforming to ethical approval processes.
- Experience in procuring and managing evaluation consultants.
- Use of inclusive data, especially disability data
- Working knowledge and experience of participatory planning, evaluating and monitoring approaches.
- Demonstrable understanding and responding to the complexities of working across multiple countries and continents in an international development organisation and consortium.
- Experience in managing monitoring, evaluation and learning for a multi-country programme.
- Experience of working in disability inclusion programmes.
- Experience of using the Washington Group questions.
- Experience in developmental evaluation.
- Experience of managing staff remotely.
- Experience of training needs analysis and delivering engaging and outcome focused training or coaching.
Skills (special training or competence):
- Excellent technical skills in monitoring, evaluation and learning. For example, developing theories of change, designing MEL plans, writing logframes, managing oversight processes, sharing evidence and communicating learning.
- Strategic thinker
- Excellent oral and written skills in English
- Ability to influence and manage multiple stakeholders
- Ability to balance attention to detail with the big picture
- Ability to manage large, complex pieces of work with multiple stakeholders and to produce key deliverables on time.
- Confident in quantitative and qualitative monitoring and evaluation techniques, analysis and reporting
- Participatory facilitation skills
- Effective communication, presentation, facilitation, negotiation and influencing skills
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office products and online tools for a virtual environment such as Miro, Google Sheets, Power Bi
- Experience using qualitative, for example Nvivo, and quantitative statistical packages an asset
- Great team player and highly collaborative•Able to give and receive constructive feedback
- Pro-active and solutions orientated
- Methodical and accurate
- Excellent organisation and self-management
- Flexible and patient
- Assertive and self-motivated
- DID Coordination Team
- MEL Team
- Global Technical Leads
- Research Team
- Country teams.
- DID Fund Management Team
- DID consortium partners
- Organisations of Persons with Disabilities
- Government partners.
Local Terms and Conditions apply.
Application Closing Date
14th October, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online