The Institute of Human Virology Nigeria (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis (TB) and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, and care and support services.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Program Manager / Coordinator
Location: International Research Center of Excellence, Institute of Human Virology Nigeria, Abuja, Nigeria
Project: Inform Africa (Role of Data Streams In Informing Infection Dynamics in Africa), one of the seven research hubs grant award of the new National Institutes of Health five-year program, Harnessing Data Science for Health Discovery and Innovation in Africa (DS-I Africa)
Duration of Engagement: 5 years, contingent upon availability of grant funding.
- The Institute of Human Virology Nigeria is one of seven African research hubs for the new National Institutes of Health (NIH) five-year program, Harnessing Data Science for Health Discovery and Innovation in Africa (DS-I Africa).
- In addition to the seven research hubs, the NIH DS-I Africa initiative also awarded five research training grants, four ethics program awards, and an open data science platform and coordinating center awards.
- The investigators of all 17 awards will all work together within the DS-I Africa consortium to promote the use of data science for innovation and discovery in Africa.
- Building on existing data, researchers of the IHVN research hub for INFORM Africa will establish data streams from public and private sectors to understand the multilayer interactions that may explain the dynamics and impact of the COVID- 19 pandemic, through three proposed research projects and two cores: the Data Management and Analysis Core to support management and analysis of both pre-existing data and new data produced through the Hub, and an Administrative Core.
- By utilizing large datasets on HIV and SARS-CoV-2 from Nigeria and South Africa, two of Africa’s largest and most affected countries, INFORM Africa will be able to provide novel insights on the epidemiology of both viruses as well as their impact on each other, to create a core capability for governments across Africa to better respond to both these concurrent epidemics as well as future epidemics.
- The Program Manager/Coordinator will work under the direction of the overall INFORM Africa Principal Investigator (PI) and in close collaboration with the INFORM Africa multiPIs (MPI) and key personnel to provide high level scientific coordination and administrative management to meet the INFORM Africa objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities
The duties of the program manager/coordinator working under the direction of the INFORM Africa PI include, but are not limited to the following:
- Prepare materials for, and liaise with INFORM Africa multi-PIs and key personnel for Institutional Review Boards ethical approvals.
- Work closely with INFORM Africa multi-PIs and key personnel to ensure that adequate progress is made on milestones for each of the projects and cores.
- Work closely with INFORM Africa multi-PIs and key personnel to ensure that scientific reports from the projects and the cores are prepared, collated, reviewed and submitted on time to NIH following sign off by the PI.
- Prepare research materials and coordinate activities of INFORM Africa sub committees and subsequent research proposals.
- Attend working groups meetings, conferences, and meetings of INFORM Africa research hub or the DS-I Africa consortium as assigned by the PI.
- Coordinate and conduct the dissemination and local implementation of research terms of reference and procedures to INFORM Africa research hub.
- Schedule regular videoconference/Zoom calls or meetings for the INFORM Africa steering committee, subcommittees, the scientific advisory board, the community advisory board, the investigative team and develop minutes, action items with timelines.
- Follow up on action items identified to ensure timeliness of activities.
- Develop and maintain a filing system for INFORM Africa documents & maintain contact lists.
- Act as the point of contact for internal and external partners.
- Maintain and monitor project plans and project schedules.
- Coordinate itineraries, flight and ground transport, and other travel support services.
- Work with IHVN and partner travel logistics to ensure that travel requests, accommodations, and remunerations are submitted on time and within budget.
Budget Management and Reports:
- Work with IHVN grants and contracts and finance department to ensure research grant expenditures are per sponsor and organization regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Work with grants and contracts and finance department to prepare financial reports, maintain correspondence with INFORM Africa stakeholders via emails, memos & letters.
- Prepare meeting retirements as needed.
- Communicate activity schedules and information to the INFORM Africa team and other collaborators where relevant.
- Work with the communication team to post activities of INFORM Africa, and promote the visibility of events.
A research-oriented individual with an interest in science and good at health project management and research administration with:
- A PhD, MD/MPH or MPH with significant experience in research program management, especially multi-site research consortia.
Experience and Skills:
- Strong research training and applied research experience.
- Literature search and systematic review skills.
- Organizational skills, ability to absorb new tasks as they arise and are assigned.
- An analytical mindset with problem-solving skills
- Mature interpersonal and communication skills.
- Nigeria and/or other African country-related work experience.
The candidate should have:
- Good understanding of GIS analysis will be an advantage.
- Experience coordinating NIH funded research projects
- Experience in coordinating multi-country research projects.
- The Program Manager/coordinator reports directly to the INFORM Africa Principal Investigator.
Application Closing Date
8th June, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed Resume and a one-page Cover Letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to “Deputy Director, Human Resources” via: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.