National Consultant for conducting a gender analysis and developing recommendations for the integration of gender aspects in the documents of the State Planning System of the Republic of Kazakhstan
Location : Astana, KAZAKHSTAN
Application Deadline : 21-Oct-23 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English Russian
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UN Women, the United Nations entity for gender equality and the empowerment of women, is an active advocate and global champion for women and girls. UN Women assists UN member states in setting international norms and standards for achieving gender equality, works with governments and civil society to develop laws, policies, programmes, and services needed to implement these standards.
UN Women ensures the central role of gender equality in the planning and budgeting of national development, and actively promotes the equal participation of women in all stages of life, with a focus on five priority areas of action: strengthening women’s leadership and expanding their participation in society; elimination of violence against women; engaging women in the full spectrum of peace and security issues; empowering women in the economy UN Women also coordinates the work on the promotion of gender equality across the whole UN system.
The Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan is committed to promoting gender equality and empowering women and girls in all spheres of life. Therefore, UN Women, together with the Ministry of Information and Social Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan (hereinafter – Ministry), with the support of the National Commission for Women Affairs, Family and Demographic Policy under the President of Kazakhstan (hereinafter – National Commission), implements a joint project for 2022-2024.
The main goal of the project is to provide effective and timely support to the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan to achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls in the country, including the most vulnerable groups, considering the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic crisis in accordance with Action plans of the updated Concept on Family and Gender Policies in the Republic of Kazakhstan until 2030. The project covers three significant components (1) strengthening national legislation and policies with a strong perspective of gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls, (2) a gender-sensitive approach in educational policies and (3) economic empowerment of women.
As part of the Republic of Kazakhstan’s commitment to advancing gender equality and the empowerment of women, it is crucial to incorporate the gender dimension in strategic-level state documents. The State Planning System in the Republic of Kazakhstan is a complex system of interrelated strategic elements, consisting of principles, documents, processes, and participants in state planning, ensuring the development of the country for the long-term (over 5 years), medium-term (from one to 5 years inclusive) periods. State planning covers the activities of state authorities and other participants in the country’s development process, aimed at increasing the level of socio-economic development, improving the welfare of citizens, and strengthening the country’s security. Incorporating gender aspects in the State Planning System will vertically strengthen national policies and programmes by addressing gender-specific needs and promoting equal opportunities for both men and women.
Thus, within the framework of the project’s first component, the UN Women, together with the Ministry and with the support of the National Commission, plans to conduct a gender analysis of the State Planning System strategic documents and to develop recommendations for the integration of gender aspects in its documents and further monitoring and evaluation of the impact.
For the above-mentioned activities, UN Women will contract a national consultant with relevant experience and knowledge in the field of development and design of State Planning System documents with strong knowledge of gender aspects and its integration.
The main objective of this consultancy is to conduct a gender analysis of the State Planning System documents of the Republic of Kazakhstan and to develop recommendations for the integration of the gender dimension and further monitoring and evaluation of the impact. The key documents of the State Planning System include but not limited to: 1) Development Strategy of Kazakhstan until 2050, stated in Message of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan – Leader of the Nation N.A. Nazarbayev to the people of Kazakhstan, Astana, December 14, 2012;
2) “On the National Priorities of the Republic of Kazakhstan until 2025”, approved by Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated February 26, 2021 No. 520.;
3) “On approval of the National Development Plan of the Republic of Kazakhstan until 2025 and invalidation of some decrees of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan” approved by Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan dated February 15, 2018 No. 636.; National Security Strategy of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
4) draft of selected strategic document prepared by national partner.
The results of the conducted analysis will give information and evidence the extent to which these strategic documents reflect gender-responsive approaches and address gender-sensitive needs of the population in strategic policies and practices and identify any gaps or challenges in the implementation of gender aspects. This analysis helps to ensure that the documents are inclusive and equitable, taking into account the different experiences, needs, and equal perspectives of women and men, girls and boys.
The analysis and recommendations resulting from this contract will serve as a policy-making and programming foundation for improving the State Planning System of Kazakhstan through the integration of gender perspectives into the strategies, plans, and national projects, making them more effective, addressing the needs of the population and promoting gender equality and empowerment of women and girls in Kazakhstan.
Duties and Responsibilities
The National Consultant will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Prepare the inception report outlining the approach, methodology, and timeline for the deliverables.
- Conduct an overview of international experience in the integration of gender- aspects in high-level strategic documents on the example of OECD countries.
- Conduct necessary consultations with state authorities and other national partners regarding the project objectives and implementation.
- Review the existing documents of the State Planning System of Kazakhstan, including its policies, strategies, plans, and projects. Conduct a gender analysis of the reviewed documents, including an assessment of the extent to which they reflect gender-responsive approaches, policies and practices.
- Identify gaps and challenges in the implementation of gender aspects in the State Planning System of Kazakhstan.
- Develop recommendations and specific tools for the monitoring and evaluation of the impact in mid-term and long-term perspectives.
- Develop recommendations for the integration of gender perspectives in all the documents of the State Planning System of Kazakhstan with detailed indications in which specific articles, parts, or sections of the documents where the gender dimension should be integrated. Coordinate the process with UN Women.
- Validate the recommendations through consultations with relevant state bodies responsible for the development and update of the State Planning System documents (the Agency of the Strategic Planning and Reforms, the National Commission, line Ministries and other relevant authorities).
- Prepare a final report and a PowerPoint Presentation on the findings of the gender analysis and the recommendations for the documents indicated in the State Planning System of the Republic of Kazakhstan. Present results of the project to UN Women and other relevant national partners.
It is expected that the National Consultant will work remotely and conduct the necessary consultations with UN Women and partners.
All deliverables must be approved by UN Women Kazakhstan CO.
- Respect for Diversity
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Required Skills and Experience
The National Consultant selection process will be based on the following criteria: Education:
- Advanced degree in law, gender studies, social sciences, or other related field.
- Extensive experience in conducting gender analysis and developing recommendations for the integration of gender perspectives in strategic documents, public policies, and programmes.
- At least 5 years of working experience in state bodies structures related to the strategic planning and development of the country. At least 3 years of experience in the development of strategic documents at the central or/and local, regional, and national levels.
- Experience in working with UN agencies or other international organizations, as well as with government bodies in the field of strategic documents and legislation analysis is an asset (attach a copy of supporting materials or provide a link to a website where you can read the document).
- Strong analytical skills and ability to develop and present findings and recommendations in a clear and concise manner.
Knowledge of languages:
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in Russian.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in Kazakh and English is must.
Technical evaluation criterion: Criteria
Advanced degree in law, gender studies, social sciences, or a related field.
Extensive experience in conducting gender analysis and developing recommendations for the integration of gender perspectives in strategic documents, public policies, and programmes
At least 5 years of working experience in state bodies structures related to the strategic planning and development of the country. At least 3 years of experience in the development of strategic documents at the central or/and local, regional, and national levels.
Experience in working with UN agencies or other international organizations, as well as with government bodies in the field of strategic documents and legislation analysis (attach a copy of supporting materials or provide a link to a website where you can read the document).
Functional skills: Strong analytical skills and ability to present findings and recommendations in a clear and concise manner.
Excellent writing and speaking skills in Russian.
Excellent writing and speaking skills in Kazakh and English are an asset
Maximum overall technical score (70%)
Only candidates with a minimum of 490 points will be eligible for financial evaluation.
Financial assessment : The evaluation of the submitted financial proposals will be made on the basis of the following formula: C low / C x 300, where
C is the price of the evaluated offer; and
C low – this is the lowest price of all evaluated offers among the corresponding offers;
300 is the maximum financial point you can get.
The winner is the candidate who scores the highest score on the total score (according to the results of the technical assessment + financial assessment). The maximum possible score for the technical evaluation is 700 and 300 for the financial proposal.
Candidate selection: The contract will be offered to the candidate with the highest score in the cumulative evaluation.
- Document or link proving the experience in working with UN agencies or other international organizations, as well as with government bodies in the field of strategic documents and legislation analysis
- Completed and signed form P11 (form available at http://eca.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment). Applicants without completed P11 forms will be categorized as non-complete applicants and will not be eligible for further evaluation;
- Financial Proposal* in Kazakhstan Tenge, including the total requested amount required to complete all tasks under this Terms of Reference.
Platform admin – jobs.undp.org only accepts one attachment, so you need to prepare all required documents, scan them as one PDF document and attach them to your online application.
* Each candidate must submit a consolidated financial proposal that includes all of the candidate’s expenses required to complete the assigned tasks, including communication costs, travel expenses for the task, etc.
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, hires, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by applicable law. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational needs.
If you require any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information with your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is inconsistent with the goals and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of power and discrimination. All selected candidates will be required to adhere to UN-Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN-Women staff and will therefore be subject to a thorough background and background check. (A background check will include verification of academic credentials and employment history. Selected applicants may be required to provide additional information in order to conduct a background check.)