Local Project Technician
Job advertisement : May 05, 2023
Publication cancellation date : May 19, 2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FLCHI
Job type : Temporary work
Requirement Type: NPP ( National Project Personnel )
Grade Level: N / A
Main location : Chile
Duration: 5 months
Position Number: N / A
FAO seeks to ensure gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and its international consultants, in order to serve the Member States of the Organization in the best possible way in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of sex, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of under-represented or under-represented Member States and persons with disabilities with the necessary qualifications are encouraged to submit their applications.
- All persons working for FAO must comply with the highest standards of professional integrity and conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
The main objective of FAO country offices, headed by an FAO Representative, is to help governments develop policies, programs and projects to achieve food security and reduce hunger and malnutrition, help develop the agricultural, fisheries, forestry sectors and use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable way.
El 2 de diciembre de 2020 el Sr. M.Sc. Carlos Manuel Rodríguez CEO y Presidente del Fondo Mundial para el Medio Ambiente Mundial (GEF, por su sigla en inglés) comunicó el CEO Endorsement of Full-sized Project, con lo cual se aprueba el Documento de Proyecto “Fortalecimiento de la gestión y la gobernanza para la conservación y el uso sostenible de la biodiversidad de importancia mundial en los ecosistemas marinos costeros en Chile”, que tiene como objetivo mejorar la gobernanza de los espacios marino costero, además de comprometer a los actores que actúan en el borde costero a incorporar medidas de manejo y tecnologías para la sostenibilidad del recurso pesquero y mejorar la gestión efectiva de las áreas marinas protegidas. Las agencias ejecutoras del proyecto serán el Ministerio del Medio Ambiente (MMA), la Subsecretaría de Pesca y Acuicultura (SUBPESCA) y el Servicio Nacional de Pesca y Acuicultura (SERNAPESCA), con FAO como agencia implementadora. Para mayor detalle de los objetivos y actividades planificadas para este proyecto, por favor, consulte la página GEF del proyecto y sus documentos asociados, en la siguiente dirección: https://www.thegef.org/project/strengthening-management-and-governance-conservation-and-sustainable-use-globally
Consultants represent an important source of expertise for FAO and make their specialized contributions worldwide to achieve the strategic objectives of the Organization. In order for FAO to attract and employ the best possible experts in the wide range of technical areas of its mandate, a competitive selection process has been introduced. The objective of this process is to create a group of candidates that can be used when their experience is required, guaranteeing a transparent and rigorous selection process.
Los presentes Términos de Referencia se relacionan con el requerimiento de contratación de un/a Técnico/a Local Zona Norte, que proporcione asistencia técnica in situ para la correcta y exitosa implementación del proyecto “Fortalecimiento de la gestión y la gobernanza para la conservación y el uso sostenible de la biodiversidad de importancia mundial en los ecosistemas marinos costeros en Chile”.
- Bajo la supervisión general del Representante de la FAO en Chile y la Coordinadora Nacional del Proyecto.
- Bajo la supervisión directa de la Coordinadora Bi-regional de la Zona Norte del Proyecto.
Field of specialization The Professional will be responsible for providing technical assistance, coordination, supervision, monitoring and evaluation for the correct execution of project activities at the local level, in coordination with the municipalities of La Higuera and Frerina and civil society and artisanal fisheries organizations present in the pilot of the Northern Zone of the GEF Project.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Support the operation of the Local Tables and the Communal Committees of Coastal Marine Governance of the project.
- Support the development and implementation of project activities at the northern pilot site and at the intervention sites in the communes of Frerina and La Higuera, in accordance with the Regional Coordination.
- Make periodic visits to the beneficiaries of the pilot site and the project intervention locations and hold meetings with them for accompaniment, technical assistance, supervision and monitoring of project activities.
- Support the organization and direct exchange of experiences between the local actors of the pilot site of the Northern Zone and the communities surrounding them.
- Maintain regular coordination and communication with the institutional actors of the municipalities that participate in the execution of the project.
- Prepare periodic reports on the activities carried out and collaborate in the preparation of the Project Progress Report.
- Support the monitoring and regular evaluation of the project, gather information on compliance with the indicators of the Results Framework and its means of verification, and identify the lessons learned in the North Zone.
- Guarantee the application of the Ecosystem Approach and the Ecosystem Approach of Fisheries, as well as the gender and intercultural approach throughout the execution of the project, when appropriate.
- Support the Bi-regional Coordinator of the Project in the elaboration of the Terms of Reference and the technical specifications of the consulting or service contracts, and/or in the signing of the Letters of Agreement for the execution of the project activities.
- Supervise the execution of contracts and / or letters of agreement on site.
- Provide technical assistance to civil society organizations to include the Ecosystem Approach and the Ecosystem Approach to Fisheries in the management, planning and development plans of the territory.
- Support the implementation of training and education programs in the area.
- Provide technical information on the risks that may arise during the execution of the project and propose the mitigation measures that are necessary to reduce the impacts of said risks.
THE CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUATED ACCORDING TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- University degree in the areas of social sciences or the like, biology, ecology, fishing, natural resource management or management, geography, marine science.
- At least 3 years of experience working with coastal communities, project management, natural resource management, development of management plans and preparation of technical reports in the aforementioned areas.
- Availability to reside in Coquimbo or La Serena during the execution of the project.
- Class ‘B’ driver’s license.
- Chilean nationality
FAO Core Competencies
- Results-based approach
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
- Demonstrated ability to carry out field work, teamwork and establish good working relationships with public institutions, civil society organizations and local communities.
- Highly organized person with attention to detail, with the capacity for good time management and prioritization of tasks.
- Desirable theoretical and/or practical knowledge about public policies or programs with a gender approach and execution of projects with a gender approach or women’s participation.
- Desirable experience in the execution of projects of cultural relevance or participation of indigenous peoples.
- Desirable knowledge on biodiversity conservation, the Ecosystem Approach to Fisheries and Marine Spatial Planning.
- Preferably with work experience in the coastal zone of the Atacama and Coquimbo regions.
- Excellent oral and written skills.
- Work experience in institutions related to the theme of the project: governance of ecosystems at the national and local level.
- Knowledge and experience in participatory planning and relations with communities.
- High availability to develop field work in the localities of the pilot site (coastal zone of the communes of La Higuera and Freirina).
- Desirable experience in fishing projects, aquaculture, gender approach, indigenous communities, and approaches to environmental problems in the project territory.
- Ability to prepare administrative and technical reports.
- Immediate availability.
- FAO does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing).
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. If you need help or have questions, contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the expiration of the application deadline will not be accepted.
- We inform you that FAO will only consider academic degrees or credentials obtained from a teaching institution included in the World Database on Higher Education, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For any other questions visit the FAO website on employment: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/es/ .
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all and integrity and transparency.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
- If you would like to apply, go to the FAO recruitment website ( Jobs at FAO) and complete your online profile.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
- We advise candidates to apply well in advance of the deadline.
- If you need help, contact: Careers@fao.org.
SMOKING IS PROHIBITED ON FAO PREMISES