SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE Open to Internal and External Candidates Position Title: IT Assistant Vacancy Number: SVN/IOMSO/012/2022 Duty Station: IOM Somalia in Mogadishu, Somalia Classification: General Service, Grade G5 Type of Appointment: Special Short Term, Six months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible Closing Date: 20 June 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Context: The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants. Since 2006, IOM has been implementing a range of humanitarian and development projects in all regions of Somalia. With 6.7 million people requiring humanitarian assistance in 2017, evolving mixed migration flows in and out of Somalia, and increasing access and donor interest in Somalia, the programmatic scope for IOM is growing rapidly. In this context, IOM Somalia is implementing a multitude of projects and is expanding its sectorial portfolio. Under the overall supervision of the Information Technology Officer and under the direct supervision of the Senior ICT Assistant in the Nairobi Support Office, the IT Assistant will provide overall assistance and daily technical support to users of information management tools and technology infrastructure of the mission. The incumbent has to be competent in the technical aspect of desktop troubleshooting and user orientation
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide a timely IT user support while maintaining the highest level of IT customer service. Ensure that all ICT-Support requests/tickets are answered to appropriately via email, telephone call, or in person.
- Provide onsite IT support to IOM Somalia Sub-offices when necessary
- Install, configure and administer network connectivity (LAN/WAN/Wireless Access Points/VPN/Servers)
- Installation and configuration of IOM corporate applications (SAP, O365, internet, file and print sharing, etc.)
- Manage problem-solving, support, and assistance for use of office technology (including but not limited to Microsoft Windows 10, Office 365, and Adobe Acrobat).
- Liaise with Procurement &Logistics Department and IT Sr Assistant for adequate provisioning of IT services and equipment. Assist in the procurement of IT, communications, electrical, and data security services and equipment and maintain an updated list of equipment and documents.
- Manage all IT equipment in IOM Somalia Sub-offices and ensure all computers sent to sub-office are registered in IT Inventory and all standard software is installed.
- Provide training to staff/users to ensure productive use of new and existing systems.
- Update hardware/software inventory and inform all programs about the number of software requires for their sections.
- Liaise with the ICT Somalia Unit as needed and coordinate with ICT Global Support f escalation is required.
- Ensure that IOM Somalia is in compliance with the ICT Standards and Guidelines.
- Assist in the regular updates of the antivirus database and the distribution of the updates to all the workstations.
- Maintain the regular daily data protection system (backup), put and remote tapes, check the status of the backup and report to the specialist if there is any problem.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience Education • Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or Computer Science from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience; or • High School Degree in the above fields with minimum five years of relevant professional experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Experience • A minimum of five years of experience in LAN/WAN networking environment. • Experience with HP/Compaq, IBM, and Cisco and Siemon equipment. • Ability to design and configure networks. • Experience in working in an international organization.
Skills • Working knowledge of at least: Windows Server 2008 software in a multi-site environment. Microsoft Exchange Server 2013, TCP/IP Protocol, Cisco Router Configuration. Windows 10 administration.
Languages • Fluency in English and Somali both written and spoken is required.
Required Competencies Values • Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible. • Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct. • Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1 • Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results. • Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes. • Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate. • Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work. • Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Other Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Special Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No.), Position Title, and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: [email protected]
Posting period: From 07.06.2022 to 20.06.2022
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.