Position Title : Finance and Administrative Assistant
Duty Station : IOM Philippines Country Office (Maasin City)
Classification : General Service Staff, G-5
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, three months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 14 June 2022 (Reposting)
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Programmes and under the direct supervision of Head of Satellite Office (Maasin) of the country mission, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible in performing a range of supporting accounting functions for the mission projects in line with IOM policies, rules and regulations.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assists to review request for payments (RFPs) and ensure that:
- Claims are valid, specifically that services have been rendered or deliveries have been made.
- Supporting documents are complete and approved.
- Values are consistent and missing information are obtained from concerned units or staff members.
- Match invoices to properly approved Purchase Orders or other instrument of commitment (e.g. contract).
- Assigns WBS and General Ledger information to RFPs.
- Submits RFPs for approval – the approving authority to be determined by the value of the RFP.
- Monitors the turn-around of RFPs which are sent to Manila and its payment.
- Checks the vendors/payees approved RFPs (or cash in exceptional circumstances).
- Responsible for the issuance of check payments according to the threshold set forth for the sub-office.
- Performs the clearing of vendor and general ledger accounts specific to the project.
- Assists in disposing staff vendor accounts, particularly follow of expenses.
- Performs the encoding and entering transactions in SAP and cash pay- out functions.
- Payments to vendors, contractors, project staff and others.
- Month-end closing entries related to project.
- Maintains Excel cashbook for operations advances.
- Checks weekly cash certificates.
- Arranges for weekly cash certificates to be verified/validated and signed by the Head of Sub-Office.
- Performs monthly bank reconciliations and forward to the Country Office Manila Finance Team.
- Assists in the computation of travel advances and expense claim.
- Monitors staff accounts for personal use of communications, vehicles and other official line or equipment, and recovery thereof.
- Assist in the checking and verifying the CBI and Cash for work before payment must be made.
- Maintains finance and other related matters.
- Performs other related duties as directed.
- Develop best practice procedures and attend regular meetings on day-to-day administrative matters.
- Maintain an understanding of the IOM recruitment process and advise staff on best practice and process when they need to recruit (in coordination with IOM Manila as required).
- Responsible for records keeping including the records of assets and other administration-related files.
- Assist to create and maintain HR files for all new and current staff members.
- Monitor staff members attendance records, leave plans and overtime.
- Assist in interpreting and processing of entitlements, issuance of contracts and maintenance of various personnel records and files.
- Assist in the induction of new staff. Assist in providing detailed induction for new staff member at the office showing office procedures and IOM internal procedures.
- Organize logins and e-mail accounts for all new interns, consultants, and staff members.
- Assist in requisition of office supplies, equipment and arrange for distribution together with the appropriate inventory records.
- Have a clear understanding of IOM operational systems of the office including IT, Security, Health, and Safety
- Perform other related duties as directed.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with three years of relevant professional experience; or
- Completed High School degree in the above fields with five years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience operating SAP accounting/finance software.
- Effectively applies knowledge of relevant financial discipline.
- Computer literacy including proficiency in MS Office applications
- Knowledge of compliant business administration.
- Knowledge of the region is an advantage.
- Knowledge of compliant business administration.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of any local language is desirable.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
The position involves onsite and/or offsite work (or a combination of both). The working modality will be further discussed during the interviews if candidate is available to work on-site and/or offsite.
How to apply
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page), a résumé highlighting the required education and experience, and a duly completed IOM Personal History Form. To access the form, please visit this link (four pages).
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via [email protected] not later than 14 June 2022. Position title and SVN Number (SVN 2022 011 – Finance and Administrative Assistant) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.