Job #: req24781
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 11/8/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC — a member of the World Bank Group — is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2023, IFC committed a record US$43.7 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
IFC has embarked on an ambitious new growth strategy (IFC 3.0) to stimulate more investment activity, especially in Low Income Countries (LICs) and Fragile and Conflict affected Situations (FCS). This strategy calls for generating our own opportunities by proactively working “Upstream” to create, deepen, and expand markets and to imagine, design and implement investment projects. It requires taking a systematic approach to understanding the regulatory and sector bottlenecks that prevent the flow of private capital into productive investment in our member countries and addressing these bottlenecks through World Bank Group engagement on policy reforms and programmatic interventions at the country and sector level. It also requires capacity to leverage WBG programs and projects to develop our own proactive sector interventions and to imagine and design projects even in the absence of reforms.
The Financial Institutions Group (FIG), one of IFC’s industry departments, supports projects in numerous financial sub sectors, partners with local financial institutions, develops domestic and regional equity and debt markets and introduces new financing instruments. FIG engages in a wide range of sub-sectors including Microfinance, SME, Gender, Climate, Insurance, Capital Markets, Housing, Distressed Assets, and other areas, with both investment and advisory services. The goal is to develop efficient financial systems that will increase financial inclusion and fuel economic growth in client countries and enhance IFC’s developmental impact.
The FIG’s Middle East, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Central Asia, and Turkey (FIG MCT) team is based across the region with main hubs and locations in Istanbul, Dubai, Karachi, Amman, and Almaty. The team members work on both new business development and processing, and portfolio management across the region.
FIG is seeking Investment Officers with expertise in the banking and financial sector and preferably a deeper understanding of one or more of the following sectors: SME Banking, Microfinance, digital financial services, climate finance. The selected candidate will focus on supporting the development of a high-quality pipeline in the Middle East, Central Asia and Turkey (MCT) region under the supervision of the Regional Upstream Manager. They will also be expected to directly support the investment team which originates, manages and monitors IFC’s financial sector investments, including investments that support the institution’s regional expansion across MCT.
Role and Responsibilities
The roles and responsibilities of the position will include but not be limited to:
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of banking, financial institutions, and related industry knowledge and ability to identify risks and opportunities.
- Support the identification and assessment of FIG advisory and investment opportunities based on country and sector strategies and market creation potential.
- Contribute to the development of projects and programs, including market studies and client diagnostics, and successfully designing and implementing sector and client level engagements leading to future investments or supporting current FIG clients.
- Help spot game-changing trends, technologies and business models that can bring solutions to emerging markets, with an emphasis on expanding the role of inclusion, digital and climate finance solutions.
- Produce regular reports on the assigned portfolio including monitoring progress against project milestones and KPIs.
- Contribute to sector-specific data analysis and stress-testing of various operating models to help generate ideas for new projects, new products and platform businesses.
- Support investment transactions as required from initiation, due diligence, internal approvals, processing and negotiations of debt and equity investment, actively handling key work and coordinating work of other team members from across multiple departments.
- Work with the World Bank to analyze sector and regulatory reforms that are needed to unlock opportunities for private investment.
- Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in Business, Finance, Economics, or other relevant field.
- At least 8 years of relevant experience in project and/or program development, producing feasibility studies, hands-on advisory and/or consulting functions in emerging markets.
- Experience in project/program management, including executing against implementation plans with defined business development milestones.
- Strong experience in the banking and financial sector, including a solid operational understanding of commercial banks and other financial entities in emerging markets with track-record of supporting origination, structuring, processing, negotiating, and closing investments.
- Outstanding analytical and critical thinking skills including the capacity to innovate and challenge the status quo and experience in new idea generation, business development, and creating projects/programs from scratch.
- Understanding of the relevant sector and ability to link policy reforms, advisory interventions, investment, and mobilization to deliver solutions at a country level via the Cascade approach.
- Ability to engage with private sector clients, local and national governments and other stakeholders to encourage pioneering business and market development.
- Experience in monitoring and reporting on a portfolio of projects/programs/initiatives.
- Genuine commitment to development and to the World Bank Group and IFC’s mission, strategy and values.
- Understanding of IFC’s strategic priorities and changing business model against the backdrop of IFC 3.0.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills in English.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.