The Wildlife Conservation Society is an international NGO headquartered at Bronx Zoo in New York City working to save wildlife and wild lands and to meet global challenges in over 50 countries in Africa, Asia, the Americas and the world’s oceans. The Africa Program is the largest of WCS’s field programs, with approximately 1,100 staff in 12 country programs focused across four major regions (Central Africa, Sudano-Sahel, East and Southern Africa, and Madagascar and Western Indian Ocean).
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resources Manager
Location: Calabar, Cross River
Employment Type: Full-time
Reports To: Country Director
Start Date: 1st July, 2022
Duration: Five years
- The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is a US non-profit, tax-exempt, private organization established in 1895 that saves wildlife and wild places by understanding critical issues, crafting science-based solutions, and taking conservation actions that benefit nature and humanity.
- With more than a century of experience, long-term commitments in dozens of landscapes, presence in more than 60 nations, and experience helping to establish over 150 protected areas across the globe, WCS has amassed the biological knowledge, cultural understanding and partnerships to ensure that vibrant, wild places and wildlife thrive alongside local communities.
- Working with local communities and organizations, that knowledge is applied to address species, habitat and ecosystem management issues critical to improving the quality of life of poor rural people whose livelihoods depend on the direct utilization of natural resources.
- The Human Resources Manager will lead and manage the Human Resources function, provide overall advice, coordination and management as well as providing technical support to the field offices.
- He/she will ensure efficient support to the program in accordance with existing Nigeria policies and procedures.
- The HR Manager will be part of the Country program Senior Management team.
- He/she will work closely with the Africa HR Director and the Central Africa & Gulf of Guinea regional team.
- Lead and manage the Human Resources function (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Provide technical support, advice and capacity building of managers on people management skills
- Advise and assist managers in Human Resources related issues and concerns to Recruitment, development and people planning, performance management, employee relations and others
- Drive and support recruitment and selection activities ensuring compliance with recruitment process and policies and best practice
- Work with senior management team in the program and senior staff on staff retention strategies and initiatives
- Ensure proper onboarding process of new staff
- Ensure oversight and consistency in position titles and grades, across all field locations
- Assist managers to identify, recommend and approve Learning & Development initiatives for their employees through the WCS-U Learning platform and others
- Drive any Continental and Regional HR initiatives within the country
Performance, Well-being, Compensation & Benefits:
- Proactively respond to and manage performance counselling, employee grievances and disciplinary issues as required, with a focus on building manager competency on performance management and ensuring that documentation is well kept
- Lead the performance management process including conducting trainings
- Act as an impartial mediator in disciplinary procedures and ensure it is administered in an equitable and fair manner and meets all legal and labor regulations and requirements
- Lead people well-being initiatives at the country level
- Define and review salary structure in partnership with the Senior Management team, the Africa HR Director and the relevant regional staff
Human Resources Policies and Support:
- Maintain and update Staff Human Resources Handbooks as necessary
- Proactively pursue continuous process improvement in Human Resources related practices in order to enhance the quality and efficiency of output/delivery.
- Work closely with Africa HR Director and the Regional Office to share information and provide support as required
- Accountable for making sound decisions based on Nigeria program policies, standards, and the advice of technical experts in the program
- Ensure an up-to-date database of staff contracts and filing of staff documentation
- Ensure proper management of staff absences including leave
- Ensure that staff benefits are duly explained to employees and serve as liaison between employees and respective insurance company.
- Manage orientation process and arrivals checklist for new staff and ensure support for all new staff and their integration into the organization
- Manage appropriately staff exit procedures
- Support Regional Office on any HR related activity within the country.
- Any other task as may be required by the Line Manager.
- At least 5 years experience in Human resource management with 2 years People management in a similar role within an INGO
- Relevant University Degree preferably in Human Resources Management or Management
- Professional training in Human Resources Management.
- Ability to develop clear goals and identify priority activities and assignments
- Demonstrated experience in executing human resources processes.
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills, demonstrated ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team.
- Proven ability to manage large and varied workloads, and deal constructively with diverse people.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision.
- Pro-active, stable and robust character and a good team-player
- Knowledge of Nigeria labour laws and legal issues.
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Country HR Certification.
Application Closing Date
24th June, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their detailed Application / Cover Letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org using “Nigeria HR Manager” as the subject of the email.
- Please include the names and contact information of three references.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- WCS is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value.