Job position – Protection Manager Work location – Maiduguri (frequent field visits)
Reporting to – Overall Supervisor: Head of Mission Supervision of – CCCM Assistants and Monitors
Direct Supervisor: Protection Coordinator
General purpose of the position
The incumbent will, under overall supervision of Head of Mission and direct supervision of the Protection Coordinator based in Maiduguri, be in charge of all Protection activities of INTERSOS in particular GBV prevention and response services, case management, delivery of PSS activities through WGFS and community-based protection mechanism. S/he will ensure timely reporting to project managers and donors and help in developing briefing notes and project proposals in relation to protection sector.
Tasks and Main Responsibilities
- Responsible for the timely implementation of activities, management of budgets, including budget forecasting, development of work plans and indicator tracking sheets
- Defines efficient and effective operating processes required to ensure a proper management of the project activities
- Conducts regular tracking on project progress based on logframe indicators as well as project spending based on budgets. Lead the follow-up actions required.
- Undertakes regular participatory monitoring and verification visits to ensure adequate progress against action plans, outputs using INTERSOS’ internal project appraisal tool; and ensuring that quality elements are signed off. Provide advice on any corrective action necessary.
- Contributes to continued improvement of the quality of the project, including assessments, monitoring and evaluation, implementation of Core Humanitarian Standards and protection mainstreaming
- Prepares and conducts a range of training and workshop on protection related topics for project staff and beneficiaries
- Organizes community engagements, mobilization and awareness campaigns targeting women and other IDP and host community members
- Ensures accurate project reporting (i.e. intermediate and final report) and its timely delivery to the donor agency
- Reports regularly on protection activities and general GBV activities through the GBVMS+ (weekly) and 5Ws (monthly) to respective working group and subcluster
- Ensures that all project activities are being implemented in line with INTERSOS’ internal policies, in particular the child protection policy, at the same time respecting donor and cluster regulations as well as international humanitarian sector standards
- Fosters an integrated approach between protection and other sectors of INTERSOS in emergency interventions in Nigeria
- Represents the protection/GBV project in front of national authorities, nonstate actors, UN agencies, NGOs, donors, etc. in Upper Nile State
- Oversees and establishes partnership in order to ensure a proper and comprehensive protection /GBV response in the area
- Ensures a steady and active representation of INTERSOS at cluster level as well as in all other significant meetings, including active participation in relevant working groups
- Participates in interagency rapid assessments organized by clusters and TWG evaluating needs and possible emergency responses in the protection sector
- He will work in close collaboration with the GBV/PSS Specialist, Senior Protection Officers and other protection field staff
- Ensures that mainstreaming and integration of protection to other sectors of INTERSOS
- Recruits and manages national staff if applicable and defines their roles and assigns clear responsibilities and tasks
- Ensures the coaching of any staff member under his/her responsibility
- Guides the professional development of the staff and conducts regular staff evaluations
- Prepares accurately all financial documentation and ensures correct recording of expenses in the financial system
- Ensures correct application of both, INTERSOS and donors’ financial procedures
- Guarantees that INTERSOS’ security procedures are respected and correctly implemented
- If needed, In coordination with the Protection Coordinator, and Senior Protection Officers responsible for the updating of local security information and evacuation plans (in particular the CPP) and submit to the Security Manager and Security Coordinator
- Performs additional tasks as assigned.
- Minimum 4-years of supervisory experience with an INGO, NGOs and/or local authorities in Nigeria;
- University degree in a related field (e.g. Social Work, Psychology, Law, etc…);
- Strong technical knowledge of general protection concerns and case management with an emphasis on GBV cases;
- Advanced computer literacy (Microsoft Office Suite, e-mail, internet, etc…);
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, writing and reporting skills;
- Excellent leadership, planning, organization, people management, time management and project management skills;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Ability and motivation to work well with authorities, leaders and communities;
- Willing to work extra hours and available at the weekend for emergency cases;
- Capacity to work under pressure and willingness to work and live in a complex context;
- Fluency in English, Kanuri and Hausa.
How to apply
Interested candidates should complete this form and attach CV with the following format “Surname Position you applied for”. ONLY applicants whose competencies meet the requirement of the position will be contacted.
Application deadline: apply no later than 19th June 2022 at 4:00 PM.
INTERSOS do not ask for any form of payment at any stage of recruitment. Applications are processed according to the order of arrival. INTERSOS reserves the right to close the offer before the term initially expressed in the advert, if an applicant is accepted.