The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 27 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our unique organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Operations and Management Directorate (OMD) provides corporate services to all SPC Divisions and Programmes. It consists of three key departments: Finance, Human Resources and Information Services. OMD is focused on improving the effectiveness of systems, policies and management to provide high-quality customer-oriented services.
The role – the Full Stack Web Developer will build, manage, and maintain web applications developed under the PDH programme. The role will collaborate with business/IT analyst and web designers to gather requirements of the web application to be built.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
Websites and web applications front-end and back-end development
- Optimize web performance to deliver fast and seamless user interactions.
- Ensure web applications are cross-browser compatible, web accessible, and mobile responsive.
- Ensure server-side logic and database structures are designed and implemented to support dynamic and decoupled web applications.
- Develop Application Programming Interfaces (API) to enhance integration and functionality.
- Ensure application architecture scalability, security, and efficient data management.
- Share all source code via SPC Git repositories (e.g., GitHub)
- Collaborate effectively with colleagues and external partners to support robust integration with various systems, APIs, and third-party services.
- Address and resolve efficiently data synchronization, authentication, and data exchange issues.
- Develop applications with performance and security in mind (including a good understanding of SPC security policy).
Web application project analysis and design
- Coordinate with the solution architect, project manager and business stakeholders to ensure project deliverable timelines and outputs are well understood and project risks are identified early.
- Lead and participate in the writing and review of terms of references ensuring business requirements are well-documented and can be translated into technical specifications.
- Communicate well with web designers involved in projects to improve efficiency in delivery, consistency across apps and optimize integration process.
Web apps deployment, monitoring and maintenance
- Ensure established PDH deployment processes are put into practice e.g., use and maintain git repository, deploy to staging environments, launch in production server.
- Manage and maintain databases leading to minimised unplanned down-time and performance issues.
- Ensure coordination with ICT system administrators contributes to the deployment and stability of web applications.
- Coordinate the deployment pipeline with vendors and partners to ensure efficient delivery in line with project requirements.
Contribute to effective PDH team environment and SPC corporate activities
- Share experience and knowledge contributing towards strengthening web application development capability across SPC and promoting shared learning, reusability, cost-effectiveness, and sustainability.
- Ensure the PDH team is kept informed of innovations, emerging trends and new web-development methodologies that enhance the PDH programme’s ability to meet the needs of stakeholders.
- Collectcontinual feedback from users of web-based systems and other web-based products to inform iterative product improvement and ensure stakeholder needs are being met.
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- Degree in computer science or a related subject
- Professional technical/qualifications in software development and maintenance
- Experience: At least 5 years of experience as a full-stack developer working on complex projects.
- Cloud-native applications: 3 years of experience working with decoupled applications and microservices architectures using containerized deployment and orchestration tools.
- Requirement analysis: Communicating frequently with stakeholders and end users to evaluate requirements and develop work packages that will deliver working solutions/products that are fit for purpose.
- Database and data management: Solid understanding of database management systems (e.g., MySQL, PostgreSQL) and some experience in data modelling, writing complex SQL queries, and database performance optimization.
- Geospatial data: Understanding of GIS standards and experience integrating OGC APIs in frontend components (e.g., Leaflet, OpenLayers, etc.)
- Version Control Systems: Proficiency in using Git, including branching, merging, and resolving conflicts. Familiarity with collaborative development workflows and practices (CI/CD).
- Testing and Debugging: Experience with testing frameworks and tools for both front-end and back-end development, such as Jest, Mocha, Selenium, or Postman. Strong debugging skills and ability to troubleshoot and resolve issues efficiently.
- Fluency in English.
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Knowledge of Pacific Island countries and territories is an advantage.
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – This vacant position is budgeted for 3 years and is subject to renewal depending on funding and performance.
Remuneration – the Full Stack Web Developer is a band 10 position in SPC’s 2023 salary scale, with a starting salary range of 3,568–4,364 SDR (special drawing rights) per month, which currently converts to approximately XPF 540,472–660,991 (USD 4,781–5,847; EUR 4,529–5,539). An offer of appointment for an initial contract will normally be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration being given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale is based on annual performance reviews. SPC salaries are not presently subject to income tax in New Caledonia.
Benefits for international staff employees based in New Caledonia – SPC provides subsidised housing in Noumea. Establishment and repatriation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave travel, health and life and disability insurances and education allowances are available for eligible employees and their eligible dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 working days of annual leave per annum and other types of leave, and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8 % of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilinguism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will begiven to the Pacific Islander. Applicants will be assured of complete confidentiality in line with SPC’s private policy.
How to apply
Closing date: 21 January 2024 – 11:00 pm (Noumea time)
Job Reference: CR000166
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage if all the above documents are not provided. Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
SPC does not charge a fee to consider your application and will never ask for your banking or financial information during the recruitment process.
Screening questions (maximum of 2,000 characters per question):
- Share an instance where you played a key role in understanding and addressing user needs and requirements for a project. Describe the steps you took, the challenges you encountered, and the outcomes you achieved.
- Drawing from your own experience, how do you ensure that the code you write is maintainable and easy to share with a team of developers?
- Describe a time when you worked with a cross-functional team to integrate a web application with various systems, APIs, and third-party services. How did you manage data synchronization, authentication, and data exchange issues?