Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations working in approximately 94 countries worldwide to find solutions to poverty and what it considers injustice around the world. In all Oxfam’s actions, the ultimate goal is to enable people to exercise their rights and manage their own lives. Oxfam works directly with communities and seeks to influence the powerful, to ensure that poor people can improve their lives and livelihoods and have a say in decisions that affect them. Each organization (affiliate) works together internationally to achieve a greater impact through collective efforts. With a population of over 160 million people, Nigeria is endowed with huge human and natural resources. However, in 2010, 52 percent of the population lived in rural areas and 64 percent of the population on less than US$ 1 per day. Oxfam’s work in Nigeria focuses primarily on improving livelihoods, women’s rights, and good governance. Our work in Nigeria focuses on: Economic justice and improving livelihoods. Gender justice and female leadership. Good governance and the Niger Delta. Disaster risk reduction and responding to humanitarian crises. Central to our work is the belief that power relations need to change to enable poor people to demand and claim their rights. Oxfam’s vision for Nigeria includes a transparent and accountable government, active citizens, and private sector that works toward shared growth that is equitable to meet the needs of the people, especially the vulnerable poor. To this achieve this we work with a wide variety of partner and allies, such as community organizations and regional groups at the local, state and national levels.
Internal Job Grade
Logistics & Admin Officer
Staff reporting directly to thispost
Project Monitoring Unit (PMU)
Shaping a stronger Oxfam for people living in poverty.
To promote agriculture-driven economic growth and improve the living conditions for 10,000 rural farmer households (60% women) with a specific focus on women and youth.
The driver will work within the Logistics department to support operations structure, committed to providing reliable support to program activities in order to achieve efficiency in program delivery.
- Ensure the project vehicle – or any other car as directed or under the driver’s control is always in good working order and properly maintained.
- Always abide by standard driving /safety rules and procedure.
- Ensure that periodic maintenance is effected on the project vehicle as and when due and to notify the Logistics Officer / Logistics Assistant at least 36 hours before designated time.
- Transport project staff and equipment efficiently and safely as required.
- Collecting and distribution of vehicle log-sheet, responsible for monthly compilation and submission of log-sheets
- Schedule vehicle use to meet programmatic and operational needs
- Ensure trip ticket or form are used by program staff and approved by necessary person
- Maintain Vehicle Board daily.
- Oversee and ensure proper use of vehicles
- Organise cleaning of vehicles
- Oversee fuel consumption purchase and tracking including coordination with petrol stations
- Ensure that accident reports are completed and filed.
- Ensure security measures for vehicle such as parking, storage of keys, emergency suppliers etc.
- In collaboration with security officer coordinate movement route for field trip.
- Coordinate communication with staff for every filed trip.
- Ensure major repairs are done in a timely manner.
- Collect and submit vehicle related receipts to Fleet manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
Eager and required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values (click here) as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights (click here).
Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles.
- Minimum of Secondary School Certificate qualification.
- 5 years driving experience and long-distance driving to all parts of Nigeria.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience with International organizations, Embassy or any similar body will be an advantage.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- A good knowledge and understanding of vehicle mechanics and the ability to carry out minor vehicle maintenance.
- Good working knowledge of road networks in most parts of Northern Nigeria
- Knowledge on Automobile certification Trade test 1 & 2
- Fluent in Speaking English and Hausa
Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen.
Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.
Key Behavioral Competencies
(based on Oxfam’s Leadership Model)
We are comfortable to make transparent decisions and to adapt decision making modes to the context and needs.
We have the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organization We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities, we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.
We put ‘we’ before ‘me’ and place an emphasis on the power of the collective, nurture the team and play to the strengths of each individual. We are not concerned with hierarchical power, and we engage with, trust and value the knowledge and expertise of others across all levels of the organization.
We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organization.
We are good listeners who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Our messages to others are clear and consider different preferences.
We can explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organizational values. We are ready to be held to account for what we do and how we behave, as we are also holding others to account in a consistent manner.
Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity
We scan the environment, anticipate changes, are comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with a large number of elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.
We view problems as parts of an overall system and in their relation to the whole system, rather than reacting to a specific part, outcome or event in isolation. We focus on cyclical rather than linear cause and effect. By consistently practicing systems thinking we are aware of and manage well unintended consequences of organizational decisions and actions.
Strategic Thinking and Judgment
We use judgment, weighing risk against the imperative to act. We make decisions consistent with organizational strategies and values.
We have the ability to identify and lead visionary initiatives that are beneficial for our organization and we set high-level direction through a visioning process that engages the organization and diverse external stakeholders.
We are able to develop a high degree of self-awareness around our own strengths and weaknesses and our impact on others. Our self-awareness enables us to moderate and self-regulate our behaviors to control and channel our impulses for good purposes.
We all work to effectively empower and enable others to deliver the organizations goals through creating conditions of success. We passionately invest in others by developing their careers, not only their skills for the job. We provide freedom; demonstrate belief and trust provide appropriate support.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Oxfam on jobs.oxfamnovib.nl to apply