CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT : 2301709
Consultant ( e ) International ( e ) Bovine identification strategy
Publication of offer: 11/sept./2023
Date of publication: 25 / sept./2023, 21: 59:00
Organizational Unit: FNALG
Type of job: Temporary work
Type of requisition: Consultant
Grade: N / A
Main location: Algeria
Duration: 30 Days spread over six Months
Position number: N / A
FAO is committed to ensuring – gender, balanced geographic distribution and linguistic diversity – among its staff and the international consultants it employs, to best serve Member States in all regions.
- FAO is committed to ensuring the diversity of its workforce, ensuring balanced representation of women and men as well as nationalities, profiles and cultures.
- Women, nationals ( e ) s of unrepresented or underrepresented Member States and persons with disabilities with the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.
- Everyone working for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to respect the values of FAO.
- FAO, as the specialized agency of the United Nations, has adopted a zero tolerance policy with regard to behavior incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of power and discrimination.
- The references and background of all selected candidates will be subject to rigorous verification.
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
The dairy cattle sector plays a strategic role in Algeria in view of its impact on food security and its socio-economic place. The national strategy implemented to organize the dairy cattle sector in Algeria and increase the production of milk and meat, is justified by the strategic nature acquired of these products among national priorities and for which self-sufficiency has become imperative. The milk sector deserves the greatest attention because of its many implications in the national and family economy, as well as in the country’s food security improvement strategy. The total cattle population is estimated at around 1.9 million head ( MADR, 2020 ), including 908,412 dairy cows.This breeding plays an important role in the Algerian agricultural economy and contributes 49% to cover national needs for animal proteins but also to the creation of jobs in rural areas.
Despite its performance, the dairy sector faces various constraints, particularly affecting upstream ( producers ) and faces challenges, notably linked to the climate, to the stagnation of the market and to the size of the farms, namely 44% of the breeders have between 1 to 5 dairy cows and 40% by having between 6 and 12. Milk activity is in deficit for the majority of farms, which are drawn into a spiral of underperformance which compromises their future sustainability, mainly due to the lack of fodder resources, very high cost, low genetic potential and lack of advice and development support.
The « project Support for the sustainable and inclusive development of the milk sector in Algeria targeting women and young people in particular » ( TCP / ALG/3902 ) will support the current efforts of the government to strengthen the dairy beef milk sector through the development of a national strategy with action plans, a capacity building program in the various links in the sector, thus pilot operations on the identification of dairy cattle subsidized by the State.
Animal identification is essential for performance control and genetic improvement, animal health management, the traceability of the movements of animals and their products and the efficiency of these government subsidies.
The consultant will work under the general supervision of the representative FAO in Algeria and the supervision of the technical official responsible for Animal Health and Production ( LTO ) at the FAO subregional office for North Africa ( SNEMD )
Area of specialization
The consultant will be responsible for developing a national strategy for the identification of cattle and management
Tasks and responsibilities
- Submit a work plan with methodology and timetable ;
- Diagnose the existing animal identification situation ( documents, regulatory texts and project … ) ;
- Identify the main constraints and their causes ;
- Develop the key axes of the bovine identification strategy with its main components ;
- Present the key axes of the strategy to the actors concerned during a ( workshop Virtual or face-to-face depending on the progress of the work ) ;
- On the basis of validated axes and components, develop a bovine identification strategy which includes institutional arrangements, administrative management, partnerships, the information system and the management of the database, the choice of loops, the closure operation, the permanent monitoring of this operation ;
- Return to all partners the strategy accompanied by a detailed action plan for its care in particular the programming of an operation to identify the cattle herd during a strategy validation workshop and the action plan ;
- Propose draft regulatory texts relating to the identification of cattle and management ;
- Prepare mission reports.
THE CANDIDATES WILL BE SELECTED ACCORDING TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA :
Minimum conditions to be fulfilled
- University diploma obtained in an institution / university in a field related to animal production, veterinary medicine or in a related field ;
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in strategic development and analysis ;
- Current knowledge of French ( level C ) and average knowledge of English ( level B ).
Basic skills required by FAO
- Attention to results
- Have team spirit
- Meaning of communication
- Establishment of constructive relationships
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
Technical / Functional Skills
- Confirmed experience in animal identification.
- Knowledge in results-based management.
- Mastery of strategic development tools
- Suitable for working in a multidisciplinary team ;
- Good organizational, analysis, synthesis and writing capacity and mastery of the Microsoft office automation / IT suite ;
Please note that all candidates must adhere to the values of FAO – commitment to the Organization, respect for everyone, integrity and transparency.
- FAO does not collect fees at any stage of recruitment ( application, interview, file processing ).
- Incomplete application files will not be examined. To get help, write to: [email protected].
- Applications received after the closing date of the call will not be accepted.
- Please note that FAO only takes into account university degrees and degrees issued by recognized institutions listed in the World Higher Education Database, the list updated by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. To access the list, please click here www.whed.net/
- Other offers can be found on the Employment web page at FAO: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/fr/
HOW TO POSTULATE To apply, please complete the online form on the FAO recruitment website, Jobs at FAO. Incomplete application files will not be examined. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to register their applications with a largely sufficient period of time before the deadline. To get help, write to: [email protected].
FAO IS A NON-FUMEUR AREA.