Water Resources Management Specialist
Job #: req24809
Organization: World Bank
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Bishkek,Kyrgyz Republic
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Russian
Closing Date: 11/7/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to grow a career that is truly worthwhile? The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The Sustainable Development (SD) Practice Group (PG) helps countries tackle their most complex challenges in the areas of Agriculture and Food, Climate Change, Environment, Natural Resources & Blue Economy, Environmental and Social Framework, Urban, Disaster Risk Management, Resilience & Land, Social Sustainability and Inclusion, and Water.
The Water Global Practice
Water resources are under unprecedented and increasing pressures, driven by greater climate variability, population and economic growth, land use changes, and declining quantities and qualities of both ground and surface waters. With cross cutting impacts on agriculture, education, energy, health, gender, and livelihoods, water is an essential resource for all life on the planet and is at the center of economic and social development. The world will not be able to meet the great development challenges of the 21st century – human development, livable cities, climate change, food security, energy security, and universal access to services – unless we ensure a water-secure world for all.
The Water Global Practice (GP) is in a unique position to help governments take an integrated and strategic approach to securing water for all through partnerships (e.g., Global Water Security and Sanitation Program, 2030 Water Resources Group), finance, and knowledge. The Water GP places water resource management (hydrology, economics, storage, groundwater use, rivers and deltas, disaster management), service delivery (to households, businesses, and farmers), and an understanding of water in the context of the broader economy at the center of its efforts to help countries address these challenges.
For more information: https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/water
Water in Europe and Central Asia (ECA)
SCAWA is the unit covering the Europe and Central Asia region. The unit brings together about 30 staff (half of which are in Washington DC), covering an existing project portfolio of 40+ projects and overall commitments of 3.3 billion USD. The unit also manages two important regional programs, the Central Asia Energy and Water Development Program (CAWEP) and the Danube Water Program (DWP). Over the last years, the demand from clients in ECA has been shifting from traditional infrastructure lending to a broader set of concepts around water security and water management, institutional development, and a wider range of instruments, including technical assistance and reimbursable advisory services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The selected candidate will report to the Practice Manager and will work out of the World Bank Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic office, closely with staff from the unit and beyond. Specific duties will include:
- Provide overall operational support to Kyrgyz Republic water portfolio (and other GP related projects e.g., Environment, Urban) and potentially other Central Asian countries (as needed).
- Support and co-lead the Bank’s water policy dialogue with the authorities and others on strategic water issues and implementation of ongoing water sector reforms.
- Support and co-lead assigned operational project responsibilities, including supervision of operations (missions to the field, preparation of operation documents) and preparation of newly identified lending opportunities.
- Support and contribute to various analytical and advisory work and knowledge generation activities on water.
- Support overall coordination of water project activities with internal Bank stakeholders (e.g., country management units, sustainable development practice group leadership) and external partners and donors.
- Support the communication between the team and relevant government stakeholders (both national and regional levels).
- Encourage and support the effective collaboration of all team members with the project authorities and other relevant stakeholders.
- Play an active role in the Bank’s policy dialogue with the authorities, development partners, and others on strategic water issues.
- Actively contribute to the dissemination of our unit’s water activities, within the WBG and in external events
- Provide inputs to operational products/outputs for sector and country briefings, analytical and advisory reports and studies, and portfolio performance and monitoring reviews.
- Organize and participate in meetings with key stakeholders.
- Other tasks related to the implementation of the Central Asia water program as agreed with the project teams and beyond, as agreed with the Practice Manager
Minimum Education Requirements
Master’s degree in water or environmental engineering, economics, water resources management, or other fields relevant for water sector development
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience
- Demonstrates advanced understanding of water resources planning, management, and development, with depth in at least one subtopic and relevant experience applying this knowledge to operations, analytical work, and other deliverables.
- Demonstrated effective communication and excellent organization and coordination skills as well as timely and good report writing abilities.
- Demonstrated track record of operational support of government institutions in responding to broad water security and/or environment and urban agendas.
- Understanding of the Kyrgyz Republic water sector institutional structure and involvement in stakeholder engagement and public consultations processes
- Demonstrated teamwork and understanding of World Bank
- Demonstrated track record of forging positive relationships with organizations and individuals which can better inform the water strategies and result in higher quality implementation and impact of Bank supported programs.
- Understanding of different business models for management of the water sector, including private and public sector engagement and partnerships in the sector
- Ability to work independently and take initiative and adjust to changing work program requirements (as needed)
- Excellent knowledge of English and Russian languages in both spoken and written form, is a must.
- Lead and Innovate – Develops innovative solutions.
- Deliver Results for Clients – Proactively addresses clients stated and unstated needs.
- Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries – Collaborates across boundaries, gives own perspective, and willingly receives diverse perspectives.
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge – Applies knowledge across WBG to strengthen solutions for internal and/or external clients.
- Make Smart Decisions – Interprets a wide range of information and pushes to move forward.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.