Description of assignment title: Travel Assistant
Assignment country: Nigeria
Expected start date: 10/02/2023
Sustainable Development Goal: 1. No poverty
Volunteer category: National UN Volunteer Specialist
Host entity: UNDP
Duration: 12 months (with possibility of extension)
Number of assignments: 1
Duty stations: Abuja
Mission and objectives
UNDP is the United Nations largest agency with a mandate to eradicate poverty, through sustainable and inclusive human development. UNDP has been in Nigeria since the country became independent in 1960 providing capacity building and policy development support to the Federal Government of Nigeria in areas of Governance & Peace Building, Inclusive growth, and Sustainable Development. UNDP continues to support the government in the implementation of development interventions aimed at meeting medium to long term goals enshrined in National and Subnational development plans as well as the Sustainable Development Goals. The goal of UNDP is to improve the lives of the people of Nigeria, especially the poorest and most vulnerable, and to ensure a future that offers equality, dignity, and opportunity for all. UNDP works in partnership with the federal Government of Nigeria, development partners, UN agencies, civil society and local communities to help identify local solutions to meet global and national development challenges through a range of interventions that combine UNDP’s expertise and comparative advantage in the areas of Governance & Peace Building, Inclusive growth and Sustainable Development.
Under the supervision of the Procurement Analyst, the Travel Assistant provides travel related services in a large Country Office ensuring high quality and accuracy of work in order to obtain the optimum travel services. He/she analyzes and interprets rules and guidelines regarding travel and entitlements and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex issues related to travel. The Travel Assistant closely monitors travel expenditures and internal cost and ensures their timely and accurate billing, settlement and cost recovery. The Travel Assistant promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the delivery of travel services.
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Procurement Analyst or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Travel Assistant will support in the following: 1. Implementation of operational strategies
- Ensures implementation of operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of UN/UNDP rules and regulations, policies and strategies on travel management.
- Ensure implementation of cost saving measures through negotiation with travel service provider, arrangement of the most economic route and appropriate itinerary. 2. Supports travel management processes for CO, NIM/DIM projects and at the request of other Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Processing of requests for travel in T&E module Atlas. Ensures availability of budget according to COA.
- Processing of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the travel services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
- Follow-up with contracted travel agent to ensure provision of high quality professional service and most competitive price.
- Provision of information to the staff on travel including entitlements, travel route and hotel arrangement.
- Arrangements for security clearance when required.
- Processing travel authorization and travel claims in line with travel entitlements for staff, consultants, UN and visitors, ensuring that the travel arrangement follow the UN rules of most direct route and most competitive prices.
- Hotel reservations for visiting UN/UNDP officials.
- Processing requests for visas for all UN travelers, as well as requests for Resident Permit and Diplomatic Identification Card for international staff as it may be required.
- Processing of application and renewal of UNLP for UN staff.
- Preparation of routine correspondence, faxes, memoranda and reports in accordance with CO SOP.
- Reconciliation of settlements to be paid by the Finance Unit.
- Review of T&E Dashboard and ensure its compliance 3. Contributes to implementation of sourcing strategy focusing on achievement of the following result: o Collection and analysis of market situation on travel service area. Conduct of surveys/biddings of travel services. o Assist in the conduct of DSA survey; survey and analysis of most competitive hotel prices and quality of hotel services; submission of report to HQ and distribution of the Hotel list to all UN agencies. o Preparation of LTAs for travel and hotel services on behalf of UN Agencies o Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results: o Participation in the training for the programme, operations and projects staff on procurement and travel. o Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor. Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to integrate the UN Volunteers programme mandate within their assignment and promote voluntary action through engagement with communities in the course of their work. As such, UN Volunteers should dedicate a part of their working time to some of the following suggested activities:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Provide annual and end of assignment self-reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities.
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
- As an active UNDP team member, efficient, timely, responsive, client-friendly and high-quality support rendered to UNDP and its beneficiaries in the accomplishment of her/his functions,
Age: 27 – 80
Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
3 years of experience in Administration, Social Sciences and other related fields would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development.
- Have affinity with or interest in UNDP, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment.
Area(s) of expertise
Administration, Logistics and Inventory, Transport
English, Level: Fluent, Required
Required education level
Bachelor degree or equivalent in
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Support to travel management processes
- Implementation of sourcing strategies
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Competencies and values
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Living conditions and remarks
The assignment will take place in the nation’s capital, Abuja (Hardship Classification C). Abuja is housed by many expatriate and diplomatic communities. Cost of living in Abuja varies but could be termed as high considering the class of people residing in the capital city. Terrorism is the main threat in the Abuja. General crime is also prevalent. UN staff members are advised to stay only in UNDSS assessed hotels and residential areas. As this is a national UN Volunteer assignment, the UN Volunteer will be responsible for arranging his/her own housing and other living essentials.
United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme that welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, care protected characteristics. As part of their adherence to the values of UNV, all UN Volunteers commit themselves to combat any form of discrimination, and to promoting respect for human rights and individual dignity, without distinction of a person’s race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
Note on Covid-19 vaccination requirements
Selected candidates for certain occupational groups may be subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) in line with the applicable host entity policy