Job Identification : 14187
Locations : Dili, Timor-Leste
Posting Date : 10/17/2023, 04:59 AM
Apply Before : 10/24/2023, 02:59 PM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NPSA-9
Vacancy Type : National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area : Nature, Climate and Energy
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Contract Duration : 1 Year
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 2 year(s) experience OR Bachelor’s Degree – 4 year(s) experience
Required Languages : Tetum and English
Mobility required/no mobility
no mobility required
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Promoting Green Transformation in the Pacific towards Net-Zero and Climate-Resilient Development (“Green Transformation”) project is a multi-Country Project funded by the Government of Japan covering four (4) countries in the Pacific namely Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Timor-Leste, and Vanuatu. The overall objective of the project is to support these pacific countries in, among others, accelerating their commitment towards net-zero under the Paris Agreement.
Timor-Leste’s Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) outlined the country’s commitment to scale-up investment in renewable energy systems to reduce diesel consumption and improve the resilience of rural communities, men and women. The Green Transformation project will contribute to the country’s objective under the NDC to prioritize actions to increase energy security and access in rural communities and use of low carbon technologies. The project will support:
- Communities that are not yet connected to the national grid with solar lighting that will enable the household members to engage in productive work even in the evenings and for the children to study. It will also provide improved cooking stoves so that their consumption of firewood will be significantly reduced;
- The solarization of SAMES (Serviço Autónomo de Medicamentos e Equipamentos de Saúde) so that this critical health facility will have reliable source of electricity to store medicines in the temperature required, strengthen service operations, strengthen its digital systems for inventory management, and save funds in the long run; and
- Solarization of schools so that the ICT labs can have reliable source of energy to conduct ICT classes in an uninterrupted manner and promote access to digital learning platforms.
Overall the Technical Project Analyst will be under the supervision of National Project Manager and ICT Engineer, the Technical Project Analyst will assume the following roles and responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities
The Technical Project Analyst will be reporting all ICT related works or tasks to ICT Engineer; and overall project activities to National Project Manager in a close collaboration with the Head of Climate Change and Environment Unit, and UNDP Country Office Senior Management (Deputy Resident Representative and Resident Representative) and other relevant units.
- Lead technical team members and engineers in the implementation of renovation of schools ICT labs, installation of ICT facility and system in Schools’s ICT labs, installations of solar systems in SAMES and health centers, and intallations of solar lighthing in the households.
- Lead site assessment for site technical data collections and analyses including risks on social and environmental impacts and review and evaluate technical document or data for accuracy and ensure project targets, goals and priority are achieved.
- Together with the technical team identify project requirements and develop project activities schedule as well as conduct regular site visits during construction or renovation, installation of solar system and ICT facility, such as in-progress visit, punch-list inspection, pre-construction visit and close-out visit and conduct safety inspection as per project ESMP (Environmental and Social Management Plan), including quality assurance as per project document throughout the construction/renovation, installation of solar system and ICT facility.
- Together with technical team and site officer ensure that project activities and its working environment, including tools, equipment and procedures are implemented and established in accordance with general acceptable practice, project ESMP and other constructions or installation of solar power system and ICT facilities standards or codes and with the National Project Manager and site officer oversee the installation of solar panel light and distribution of improved cooking stove to communities or households. Ensure that project scope of works for constructions/renovations, installation of solar power system and ICT facilities are kept up-to-date and in-allignment with contract’s obligations.
- Delegate, evaluate, monitor project tasks/activities within technical team and ensuring that they are in-aligned with the project goals and objectives; Liasing and managing work with technical team members to ensure project activities are completed per standard design, procedure and schedule.
- Prepare team workplan and assign tasks in accordance with supervisors approval plan and activities; Identify and assess risks; and formulate strategies or means to manage or mitigate or guard against identified risk for the construction/renovation, installation of solar system power and ICT facility.
- Together with technical team during implementation of activities, record, mitigate and track any recurring issues internally with contractor, vendor or supplier. Prepare activities progress report (monthly and quarterly), SOP and other activities related documents; Support engineers in preparing technical specification, budget plan and BoQ for procurement purposes.
- Perform other related technical works as necessary or required.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
People Management competencies:
- UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies: Business Management
- Results-based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Monitoring : Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results
Business Direction & Strategy
- System Thinking: Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
2030 Agenda: Engagement & Effectiveness
- Effectiveness: Project Quality Assurance; Systems and tools for managing risk
2030 Agenda: Planet
- Nature, Climate and Energy: Chemicals and Waste management: practical application
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Civil Engineering, Construction management, Earth science, Computer Science, Information Technology, or other closely related field is required.
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s degree) in Civil Engineering, Construction management, Earth science, Computer Science, Information Technology, or other closely related field in combination with an additional 2 years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of Master´s degree.
- Minimum two years (with Master’s degree) or four years (with Bachelor’s degree) in implementing environmental related works, leading, coordinating, interacting and effectively managing multidisciplinary technical team in renovation/contruction or installation/upgrading ICT facility project.
- Experience in performing organizational skills to carry out multiple tasks without negotiating safety, quality and team-spirits is an asset.
- Experience in promoting and implementing the vision, mission, values, and strategic goals of UNDP Plans, prioritizes, and delivers tasks on time is an asset.
- Experience in an effective participation of a team-based collaboration and cooperation is an asset.
- Experience in site works safety practice is an asset.
- Experience in site assessment, tracking activities progress, evaluating project milestones and performance and identifying solutions for improvement is an asset.
- Experience in coaching and motivating team members.
- Experience in solving and managing conflicts among team members; and be able to settle or address issues amongst team members to prevent any undesiarable behaviours.
- Strong team-works skills with gender, religion, age and/or cross-cultural sensitivity or tactful
- Demonstrated capacity in knowledge sharing and knowledge management and ability to generate innovative and new ideas and promote learning through leadership and personal example
- Good coomunications and interpersonal skills
- Strong demonstration of effective participation a in team-based collaboration and cooperation
- Strong ability to effectively work with tight schedule or under pressure
- Excellence computer skills
- Strong ability to identify and feedback from and to the issues, ideas, concerns or insterets of other team members
- Fluency in Tetum and English Language is required.
- Regular travel to Municipalities.
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.