Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Systems Enhancement Accountant
Job type: Full time
Reports To: Associate Director, Finance
- This position will report to the Finance Manager and will be responsible for continuous improvement of financial systems and compliance levels at the State offices in the country.
Essential Job Functions, Duties And Responsibilities
- Working with the Office of Compliance and Risk Management, identifies potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk; prioritizes areas to be addressed, then, working with staff on the ground, develops/implements corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues, and provides general guidance on how to avoid or deal with similar situations in the future. The implementation phase must include direct training and demonstration of how to implement corrective action.
- Ensure compliance issues/concerns within the organization are being appropriately evaluated and resolved.
- Report on a regular basis, and as directed or requested, to keep the Director, Finance and Senior Management informed of the operation and progress of compliance efforts.
- Institutes and maintains an effective compliance communication program for the organization, including promoting (a) use of the Feedback Finance hotline; (b) heightened awareness of SOPs and (c) understanding of new and existing compliance issues and related policies and procedures.
- Work with the State Finance and Administrative staff to ensure that s/he fully understands and complies with the provisions of the FHI360 financial policies and procedures manual.
- Provide continued orientation to the State Finance and Administrative staff on how to support facilities to compile and submit monthly fund requests and prepare consolidated fund requests for the whole state (covering all Health facilities and Sub awards).
- Develop, maintain and work with the State Finance and Administrative staff to ensure that they fully understand and comply with the FHI 360 procurement process including, but limited to, purchase requests, prequalifying vendors, soliciting quotes, collating quotation/bids from prequalified/potential vendors, the vendor selection process through receipt and payment for goods and/or services.
- Train State Finance and Administrative staff on the procedure involved in tracking expenditures incurred from States sub agreements by FHI360 on behalf of the government and maintain copies of all documentation. After training, follow up to ensure that procedures are followed. Provide additional hands on training and guidance as necessary.
- Train State Implementing Team (SIT) Accountants on the procedures involved in the collection and processing of travel advances (TAs), prepare sub-recipients financial reports (SFRs), reimbursement requests and continuous quality improvement/ technical assistance (CQI/TA) reports from SIT members to the FHI360 state offices. After training, follow up to ensure that procedures are followed. Provide additional hands on training and guidance as necessary.
- Train State Finance and Administrative staff on how to track burn rate/maintain financial monitoring pipelines for each health facility, to monitor budget performance against plans for each health facility managed under the sub agreement and provide feedback to the SIT and other stakeholders in the States. After training, follow up to ensure that procedures are followed. Provide additional hands on training and guidance as necessary.
- Provide hands on training to the State Finance and Administrative staff on how to maintain inventory of all project assets managed through the sub agreement, including ensuring proper filling and storage of financial documents at SIT level. After training, follow up to ensure that procedures are followed. Provide additional hands on training and guidance as necessary.
Qualifications and Requirements
- BSc. in Accounting, Finance and Business Administration or its recognized equivalent, and 5 – 7 years relevant experience, or
- MSc. in Accounting, Finance and Business Administration or its recognized equivalent, and 3 – 5 years relevant experience.
- Experience in accounting and accounting principles sufficient to prepare complex and detailed financial and budgetary analyses.
- Experience in financial reporting, and financial management systems applications.
- Experience with USAID-funded programs and non-governmental organizations in Nigeria.
- CPA, ACA or recognized equivalent is required.
- Demonstrated success in multicultural environments is an advantage.
- Experience must reflect the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to train one on one and in a small group specific technical applications in a way that makes the trainee feel comfortable enough to ask questions when they do not understand and proficient when training is complete
- If necessary, must have the ability to deliver a strong message of compliance in a difficult situation
- Demonstrated analytical skills in the interpretation of budgetary, financial and related management information
- Ability to conduct complex system analysis studies involving financially oriented applications
- Proficiency in the use of software applications, database and spreadsheets (including extensive knowledge of Excel database applications)
- Knowledge of local and donor (including USAID) contractual requirements and regulations
- Must have report writing skills and be able to communicate with impact
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize and handle pressure situations
- Excellent numerical, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to use software tools to present data clearly and concisely
- Ability to travel a minimum of 25%.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online