Support professional for the implementation of the Project + Forests ( Biobío Region )
Job advertisement : Jun 4, 2023
Publication cancellation date : Jun 18, 2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FLCHI
Job type : Temporary work
Requirement Type: NPP ( National Project Personnel )
Grade Level: N / A
Main location : Chile
Duration: 3 evidentiary months, with the possibility of extension for an additional 9 months
Position Number: N / A
FAO seeks to ensure gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and its international consultants, in order to serve the Member States of the Organization in the best possible way in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of sex, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of under-represented or under-represented Member States and persons with disabilities with the necessary qualifications are encouraged to submit their applications.
- All persons working for FAO must comply with the highest standards of professional integrity and conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
The main objective of FAO country offices, headed by an FAO Representative, is to help governments develop policies, programs and projects to achieve food security and reduce hunger and malnutrition, help develop the agricultural, fisheries, forestry sectors and use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable way.
This vacancy is part of the project approved by the Green Climate Fund “ Chile REDD-plus Payment for Results period 2014-2016 ” than FAO, in association with the National Forest Corporation of Chile, it will execute to increase the resilience of ecosystems and native forest, and contribute to mitigating climate change in Chile. The project will contribute to reducing the social, environmental and economic vulnerability generated by climate change, desertification, land degradation and drought, in the forests and local communities that depend on them in 5 regions of the country ( Maule, Biobío, Ñuble, Araucanía, Los Ríos and Los Lagos ).
National specialists represent an important source of expertise for FAO and make their specialized contributions worldwide to achieve the strategic objectives of the Organization. In order for FAO to attract and employ the best possible experts in the wide range of technical areas of its mandate, a competitive selection process has been introduced.
For this position, the hiring of 3 Professionals for the Provinces of: Arauco, Concepción and Biobío is required.
Under the general supervision of the National Project Coordinator + Forests, the direct supervision of the Project Technical Assistant at FAO, the technical advice of the head Department of Conservation of Forest and Regional Xerophytic Ecosystems, of the CONAF Regional Climate Change Coordinator and under the guidelines of the Regional Technical Specialist.
Field of specialization
The support professional for the implementation of the Project aims to: Collaborate in supervision, coordination and implementation of the technical and operational management of the different initiatives to be carried out within the framework of the project in the region, ensuring the achievement of the objectives and goals proposed in accordance with the policies and regulations established by FAO, the Green Climate Fund and by the State of Chile and, the generation of environmental, economic and social co-benefits for vulnerable groups defined in the CONAF ENCCRV.
Its headquarters will be in the Biobío region, mainly in the Province of Concepción and must be available to go out on the ground frequently inside or outside the region.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Collaborate with the regional, provincial and Project development team + forests, in the technical and operational tasks of the project.
- Support in the planning, coordination, operational, administrative and financial management, implementation, technical and administrative supervision of action measures US1, MT5, IF2, IF3 and MT4 of the ENCCRV that will be implemented through the project + Forests: MT4: Forestry and revegetation in prioritized areas, MT5: Restoration of prioritized areas and IF2: Restoration of ecosystems affected by fire, IF3: preventive forestry in urban interface US1: forest management focused on public and private land and US3: strengthening of the energy program and energy matrix at the country level.
- Collaborate with in the design and implementation of the regional technical proposals that CONAF will develop within the framework of the ENCCRV Benefit Distribution System.
- Execute dissemination and training activities contemplated in the Project in order to strengthen the capacities of the beneficiaries of the intervention areas.
- Execute the activities associated with compliance with the environmental and social safeguards that apply to the Project within the framework of the ENCCRV, specifically those contained in its Environmental and Social Safeguards Management Framework and the project’s gender action plan.
- Know and master all the themes, contracts and documents of the project.
- Identify properties, communities, cooperatives, associations that can be beneficiaries of the project.
- Supervise and support the formulation of territorial projects and link work with relevant local actors.
- Know and master all the themes, contracts and documents of the project.
- Continuously follow up on consultancies and contracts carried out in the region.
- Update documentation of backups and supports for contracting goods and services.
- Prepare, whenever necessary, management plans, technical reports, terms of reference, result reports, presentations and any other required products associated with the nature of the project.
- Evaluate the progress and performance of the projects in execution in the territory.
- Attend project-related meetings, inside or outside the region.
- Support in the coordination of administration actions with the different FAO areas at the regional and central levels such as acquisitions and purchases of goods and services, hiring of individual consultancies and tenders, under the regulations in force for each case, governed by the FAO Manual.
- Support in the systematization of the results obtained from the application of the project.
- Support in the supervision, monitoring and evaluation of projects carried out within the framework of the Project.
- Preparation and support in the development of reports of progress and performance associated with the projects carried out in the province in which it operates.
- Coordinate and support the preparation, in co-authorship with CONAF professionals, of informative technical documents associated with the ENCCRV and the + Forests Project.
- Accompany the design of tools and approaches to incorporate gender aspects and integrate social considerations in the different lines of work of the Project at the regional level.
- Provide technical inputs on social and gender considerations for inclusion in the strategic and operational documents of the + Forests Project.
- Support other activities that are assigned by the Representation.
THE CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUED IN ARRANGE TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- University degree Forest Engineer, Conservation Engineer in Natural Resources or related.
- Work experience of at least 1 year is required
- An excellent command ( C level ) of Spanish is required.
- National of Chile.
- Permanent residence in the Biobío Region.
FAO core competencies
- Results-based approach
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge exchange and continuous improvement
- Desirable experience in restoration and / or reforestation with native species in the Biobío region.
- Desirable experience of at least 6 months in field work with small forest owners and indigenous communities in the Biobío region.
- Knowledge of the institutional and regulatory framework of the forest and environmental area in force in Chile.
- Have adequate knowledge and desirable experience in the design and implementation of projects in the rural territory to which it is applying.
- With aptitudes to relate and interact respectfully and adequately with peasants and, in general, men and women recipients of the rural Chilean world.
- Ability to facilitate agreements, reach consensus, good communication and willingness with the actors involved; interpersonal skills; resolving capacities.
- Availability to go out on the ground frequently in the region and travel in the country as required.
- Software management associated with Geographic Information Systems ( SIG ).
- Desirable experience working in the public sector and / or climate change.
- Experience in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint use and handling ( medium ).
- Current driver’s license, and desirable driving experience on complex roads / adverse conditions.
- Competences, skills and abilities in oral and written communication, coordination and teamwork, leadership, conflict management and resolution, and negotiation, work under pressure in defined deadlines and consultation processes in the public-private sphere.
- Immediate availability.
- Desirable experience in the execution of projects associated with the ENCCRV in its Phases II or III.
- Availability for frequent trips to the terrain, inside and outside the Region.
- Have a Class B driver’s license.
- Own laptop.
- FAO does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process ( application, interview, processing ).
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. If you need help or have questions, contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the expiration of the application deadline will not be accepted.
- We inform you that FAO will only consider academic degrees or credentials obtained from a teaching institution included in the World Database on Higher Education, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For any other questions visit the FAO website on employment: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/es/ .
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all and integrity and transparency.
PRESENTATION OF REQUESTMENTS
- If you want to apply, go to the FAO Recruitment Website ( Employment in FAO ) and complete your online profile.
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. Only applications received through the contracting portal will be considered.
- We advise candidates to submit their application sufficiently in advance of the expiration of the term.
- If you need help, contact: Careers@fao.org.
IN THE LOCALS OF FAO IT IS FORBIDDEN TO SMOKE