Position based in Kharkiv.
Full-time with frequent travels in the East of Ukraine
Position to be filled ASAP with a duration for 6 months.
Since 24 February 2022, Ukraine has been under attack by Russia causing an immense humanitarian crisis and significant global tensions. To respond to the humanitarian needs, Solidar Suisse partnered with the Ukrainian organisations Luhansk Association of Organizations of People with Disabilities (LAOPwD) and VIS (Vinnytsia oblast) to provide humanitarian assistance to internally displaced people (IDP), households with people with disabilities, returnees and non-displaced communities in de-occupied areas or territories that remain under Ukraine control in the east and south. The project covers Cash for Shelter renovation (light and medium), Mental Health and Psychosocial Support, winterization support as well as Multipurpose Cash Assistance (MPCA).
Role overall scope:
The Shelter Coordinator is responsible for supervising all project activities related to Cash for Shelter renovation from needs assessment, document verification, reconstruction planning, mid-term, and final evaluation of reconstruction, winterproofing and accessibility upgrades for people with disabilities. The coordinator will work closely with a team of construction specialists from LAOPwD.
The Shelter Coordinator supports the Country Representative, the implementing partners, and HQ in Zurich.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Lead needs assessments, project plans, management, and monitoring of the implementation of shelter renovations.
- Ensure that beneficiaries have access to safe shelter provision and to establish relationships with key stakeholders.
- Identify vulnerable households with damaged or substandard housing that qualify for cash for shelter using PwD and Socio-Economic Vulnerability Tool (SEVAT).
- Develop list of damaged houses recommended for renovation by the project using the in-take strategy on vulnerability criteria.
- Liaise with partners, local authorities, and local communities.
- Manage and facilitate implementation of construction, maintenance and repair activities as defined by the project proposal and target groups.
- Supervise and guide Shelter construction team of LAOPwD, other staff and contractors throughout the planning and implementation of shelter repair.
- Facilitate or engage in communication and liaison activities to pro-actively consult and involve beneficiaries, key informants, stakeholders, humanitarian partners and Solidar staff in all stages of project design and implementation.
- Ensure daily monitoring of the quality of construction and the progress of project/work implementation. Ensure protection/accessibility issues are incorporated in shelter activities.
- Uphold rigorous project cycle management standards at the field site level.
Ensure that asbestos is never used in construction, and this is clearly communicated to beneficiaries and construction workers.
- Provide regular updates on progress to the Country Representative and other team members (MEAL and Project Coordinator).
- Responsible for providing input and/or prepare project progress reports, donor reports, cluster reports as per given deadlines and as necessary.
- Develop concept notes and/or proposals and budgets in close cooperation with the Country Representative.
- Contribute to the strategic direction of the country shelter operation through participation in strategy planning meetings and developing strategic documents related to WASH and shelter reconstruction.
- Develop supply/procurement plans for shelter program activities and coordinate with the based logistics personnel for their delivery to the field.
- Ensure staff compliance with security management rules and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with the Solidar Suisse procurement policies and donor guidelines.
- Ensure compliance with the Solidar Suisse accountability framework (i.e., Accountability to Affected Population).
Experience and technical competencies:
- A degree in engineering, polytechnics, or other related field of study.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in shelter projects in conflict context including implementation of shelter projects by external contractors, including quality checking.
- Experience of working with IDPs, Returnees, Refugees and host communities.
- Experience in participating to working groups or clusters desirable.
- Experience working with International NGOs, UN agencies, line ministries and/or local authorities in refugee settings in complex emergencies.
- Previous experience in designing and leading shelter damage/renovation field assessments.
- Experience in the training and mentoring of staff.
- Very good coordination skills.
- Excellent communication and representation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with all the types of stakeholders.
- Able to work effectively and creatively within a team.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential information.
- Knowledge of Ukrainian and Russian is mandatory.
- Organization skills, delegation, and empowerment approach to the partners
- Leadership and interpersonal skills
- Flexibility and agility
- High resilience to stress
- Willingness to travel (30%-40% of the time, more time spent in the field is expected at the inception and verification stages of the project)