Family Health International (FHI 360) is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Technical Advisor, Prevention – Research & Learning
Job type: Full time
Supervisor: Technical Director – GF HIV Project
Background / Basic Function
- Harm reduction and AGYW are new intervention areas on the Global Fund HIV/TB grant to Nigeria, implemented by FHI360 in various states.
- Currently in Nigeria, there exists paucity of strategic information, both qualitative and quantitative regarding various aspects of the specific needs of AGYW in their diversity and people who use drugs .
- This position will support the grant implementation and coordination of program areas related to AGYW and PWUD by contributing to the knowledge base and profile of these intervention areas to inform program design, delivery, monitoring and quality assurance whilst also contributing to reviews of existing implementation policies, guidelines and program approaches in partnership with civil society, government, donors and other stakeholders based on learnings and emerging needs through Implementation Science and Research.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Technical Director, provide day-to-day implementation support and advice to implementing states on appropriate technical and programmatic approaches for harm reduction and AGYW interventions, with a focus on quality and evidence-based interventions.
- Guide implementers, in partnership with technical agencies i.e. UNODC and UNAIDS to bring evidence-based improvements in the delivery of harm reduction and AGYW services which respond to people’s needs, use of data for decision making. Work with FHI360’s sub-recipients and staff across implementing states to adapt and disseminate guidelines, tools and procedures aligned to normative global guidance that will support the achievement of quality service delivery, including monitoring compliance.
- Lead the development of research protocols and guide the team in obtaining needed ethical clearances for conduct of research using program data from harm reduction and AGYW implementation, and where relevant strategic information from the region.
- This may include development of academic articles to publish scientific evidence as it relates to harm reduction and AGYW HIV programs in Nigeria.
- Support the FHI360 SI team in setting up the right data sets and indicators for needed implementation research and post interventional studies that will come useful in determination of subsequent funding mechanisms/models.
- Coordinate and support strategic dissemination of best practices and lessons learnt amongst all stakeholders in Nigeria, including bilateral, academic institutions, government, and technical agencies.
- Work closely with Monitoring and Evaluation staff to define data needs related to Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and other workplan tracking measures for harm reduction and AGYW interventions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Health Policy or related field with 5 – 8 years’ work experience in statistical analysis and operational research methods.
- A Degree in Statistics or Data Science and/or possession of a PhD in any relevant field will be an added advantage.
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health systems and NGOs and CBOs is highly desirable.
- Experience working with donor funded programs required, Global Fund/PEPFAR experience desirable.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Proficient in functions required for operational research and statistics, including interpersonal and communication skills necessary for effective interactions with study teams
- Sound understanding of inferential statistics and ability to statistically analyse and interpret big data, identify errors, and prepare reports.
- Working knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures for conducting research studies under government, organizational and donor regulations.
- Knowledge of data analysis tools, preferably statistical software.
- Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Knowledge of health and development programs in developing countries in general and Nigeria specifically.
- Substantial experience in the following technical areas: HIV prevention and care for adolescent and young women in their diversity and harm reduction for people who use drugs.
- Knowledge of Nigerian clinical setting, including government and non-government settings.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the social, political and ethical issues surrounding HIV infections and needs of adolescents and young people
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication.
- Well-developed computer skills.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria 25% time.
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online