The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Policy Officer – Research, Oil & Gas Officer
Requisition ID: 1172
Location: Algiers – AFREC (Algeria), Algeria
Reports to: Head of Division of Energy Policies, Strategies and Supports
Directorate/Department: African Energy Commission (AFREC)
Division: Division of Energy Policies, Strategies and Supports
Number of Direct Reports: 1
Number of Indirect Reports: 2
Job Grade: P3
Number of Positions: 01
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- Enables AU achieve divisional objectives in its various departments/ organs.
- Provide support in the preparation and implementation of the programmes developed out of the Division’s strategic plan;
- Actively contribute in the development of strategies, policies, programmes and plans.
- Liaise with Member States, Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and other stakeholders on relevant matters and ensure coordination and collaboration at all levels;
- Prepare and develop reports, budget and work programmes related to the functions of the Division;
- Provide support to develop resource mobilization strategy with close coordination with relevant stakeholders;
- Conduct complex analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the Division and AFREC’s internal and external uses;
- Liaise with the various divisions of AFREC and Departments/Units of the African Union Commission for coordination and alignment purposes;
- Prepare budgets and reports for the Division in accordance with relevant frameworks.
- Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets as may be required;
- Assist in developing and implementing AFREC’s programme on Oil and Gas Sector which including coordinated support on policies formulation and legal frameworks development in order to build the African institutional and human capacities of Member States to increase investments and regulate the African Oil and Gas sector and its Sub-Sector.
- Initiate holistic continental, regional and national strategies for the development of African Domestic Oil and Gas Market in Africa and prepare comprehensive policies and action plans to ensure values added, job creation inclusive growth and sustainability of the sector.
- Coordinate policy advisories and technical support for the African Member States and Pan African Institutions on oil and gas sector policies, legal frameworks and regulations, institutional reforms and strategic matter related to the development and investment.
- Assist in developing advocacy initiatives, knowledge building activities, resource mobilization strategy and donors coordination for developing oil and gas sector in Africa.
- Prepare action plans that effectively address the problems and constrains arising from current approach for developing oil and gas sector in Africa and creating African Domestic Market for Crude oil, Oil Products and Natural Gas as well as cross boarder trading.
- Coordinate preparation of policy briefs, studies, researches and case studies in promoting resource integration, investment and development of oil and gas sector in national, regional and continental level.
- Build partnership and collaboration with Member States, RECs, Pan – African Institutions, International Organizations, think – tanks, Investors and any relevant stakeholders in to benchmark policy formulation in order to develop effective support and interventions to the Member States and strengthen National, regional and continental institutional know – how on African Oil and Gas Sector.
- Assist in mobilizing technical and financial support to the Member States for preparing and implementing projects and programmes on Renewable Energies and Energy Efficiency.
- Represent AFREC at workshops, conferences, meetings and seminars pertaining to oil and gas sector and provide guidance on issues related with AFREC’s work on this sector.
- Keep abreast of global and regional development and trends in the oil and gas policies and governance and its impact on African oil and gas sector with special attention on the new policies related with climate change and energy transition.
- Coordinate the advisory support on oil and gas including policies, regulatory frameworks, institutional structures to capacitate Member States in the sector.
- Identify the potential areas of support to Member States and design the appropriate interventions.
- Design and conduct a comprehensives capacity building programme to experts of Member states and promote the collaboration and cross boarders’ experiences sharing.
- Implement AFREC’s programme on oil and gas and promote establishment of African market of crude oil, oil products and natural gas and facilitate cross boarders trading between Member States.
- Advise the Head of Division on oil and gas programme;
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A University Master’s Degree in petroleum or Natural Gas including Geosciences, Engineering, Economics, Policy or related disciplines with seven (7) years of experience in oil and gas industry, regulatory environment or international organizations out of which three (3) years at supervisory level.
- A University Bachelor Degree in Petroleum or Natural Gas including Geosciences, Engineering, Economics, Policy or related disciplines with ten (10) years of experience in oil and gas industry, regulatory environment or international organizations out of which five (5) years at supervisory level.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Sound planning and organisational skills
- Ability to negotiate diplomatically
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, and Arabic) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Strategic Insight
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationship
- Communicating with Influence.
- Conceptual thinking
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Indicative basic salary of US$37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (48% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 18,547.20 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
11th July, 2022.
Method of Nigeria
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online