Senior Governance Specialist
Job #: req23195
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Public Sector Development
Term Duration: 4 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 6/30/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. https://ww.worldbank.org.
South Asia Region (SAR)
The World Bank Group serves eight client countries in the South Asia Region, home to nearly 1.8 billion people. Clients range from large rapidly growing sophisticated middle-income countries to IDA countries to fragile and small island and landlocked states. Over the past few years, work has focused on the response to the COVID-19 crisis. In FY22, the region delivered $10.7 billion in financing for client countries and a wide range of ASAs and engagements with countries. The focus for the post-pandemic recovery lies on economic recovery and prudent fiscal and debt management; private sector expansion and job creation; climate resilience and improving human capital. The region will continue to support progress on structural reforms and invest in inclusion, gender equality, productive jobs, climate resilience and digital economy.
For more information on the South Asia Region (SAR): https://www.worldbank.org/en/region/sar
Governance Global Practice
An effective and accountable governance framework, in the form of functioning institutions, is a necessary precondition for sustainable poverty reduction. The Governance Global Practice helps countries build capable, effective, transparent, accountable, and inclusive institutions that deliver citizen-centric services, facilitate private-sector growth and build trust in government. The GGP brings together professionals in financial management, public investment management, procurement, taxation, regulatory policy, transparency, digital governance, justice, anticorruption, and social accountability to develop innovative, integrated solutions to pernicious institutional problems. For further information, https://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/governance
Duties and Accountabilities The Unit is looking for a Senior Governance Specialist in Islamabad, Pakistan. The Specialist will be under the supervision of the Governance Practice Manager (PM) for the ESAG1 Unit and will be part of the in-country team that develops and implements ESAG1’s lending and analytical program. You will work in coordination with other ESAG1 team members based in Washington DC and the other country offices, as well as with colleagues from Procurement and other Global Practices.
The Senior Governance Specialist to lead policy and operational dialogue with country authorities in the engagements related to GovTech and digital government including:
- Core government functions (public financial management, human resource management, tax and customs, etc.);
- Service delivery (e-services, business process simplification, standards, user experience and inclusion);
- Public administration from GovTech and digital government perspective (institutional reforms, change management, whole of government coordination); and/or
- Public accountability from GovTech and digital government perspective (citizen engagement, integrity, transparency, anticorruption).
- Task team leader for specific lending or analytical tasks led by The Governance GP, or contribute, as a team member, to Governance GP led tasks;
- Contribute to multi-sector lending and ASA tasks with other GPs or regional teams.
- Provide timely and just-in-time advice (briefs, memos, presentations) on political economy issues relevant to World Bank operations in Pakistan and other countries in the region.
- Review and provide feedback on operational and strategy documents to shape their alignment with the local context.
The selected candidate will have demonstrated significant, directly relevant, experience including:
- Specialized expertise in the areas of digital government related institutional and public sector reforms including service delivery, technology for climate and resilience, use of new technologies, and data analytics as well as public administration and institutional reforms;
- Hands on experience in government implementation of GovTech a plus
- Experience with a range of World Bank operational instruments: Development Policy, Program for Results, Investment Projects, and Trust Funds
- Demonstrated experience designing and delivering Advisory Services and Analytics
- Team leadership, coordination, coaching, mentoring of more junior staff
In addition, the following minimum education and experience criteria apply:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., digital government, public administration, public policy, international development, engineering, economics, finance, law)
- 8 years of relevant professional experience
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English language is necessary.
- Strong analytical capabilities and planning, organization, and time management skills.
- Experience across multiple countries
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills; ability to listen carefully and provide sound advice in a constructive manner; ability and readiness to stand firm on difficult and sensitive issues; ability to convey ideas and positions clearly and tactfully to staff and managers at all levels.
- Strong team player, willing to collaborate closely with colleagues and across boundaries; ability to operate effectively in a decentralized, matrix environment.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and adapt, and flexibility in responding to unexpected needs and demands.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.