Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) Center is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Researcher
Location: Abuja (FCT)
Employment Type: Full-time
Reports To: Country Director
- The researcher will be a highly valued member of CIVIC’s Nigeria Team and will be responsible for the design, implementation, oversight of field research as well as drafting research reports aimed at gaining civilians and security forces perspectives on conflicts.
- Integrate thinking through advocacy and influencing methods and strategies into research design.
- Explore creative ways of presenting research findings and integrate into the design process
- Advise on potential use of quantitative methods, including surveys to advance research aims.
- Contribute to identification of additional research topics that are pertinent to protection of civilians.
- When needed, develop scopes of work, and support the hiring of consultants for additional research need
- Ensure timely submission of program deliverables.
- In close coordination with CIVIC’s Nigeria Team in Abuja and Maiduguri, provide overall research support for all Nigeria Team research efforts.
- Lead the design of CIVIC’s research initiatives, including the use of methods, sampling/selection of interviewees, development of questionnaires and interview guides, field testing questionnaires and interview guides (as appropriate) Recommend priorities for budgeted funds given program-specific objectives and progress toward results.
- Ensure research is designed to be conflict sensitive, socially inclusive, mainstream gender and adhere to ethical standards, including safety and security of researchers and respondents.
- Identify new partnerships with like-minded NGOs and actors in the field.
- Conduct desk and field research and assessments to inform fresh policy, practice, and training recommendations for diverse stakeholders to improve civilian protection.
- Conduct desk studies of existing reporting and research to identify areas key gaps and to help guide CIVIC’s data collection.
- Lead CIVIC’s research, with a focus on gaining perspectives of civilians on how they are affected by conflict.
- Conduct alone, and at times with team members, key informant interviews, focus group discussions and other qualitative approaches to research.
- Conduct and oversee data collection involving quantitative methods if deemed suitable.
- Travel to conflict areas to engage with civilians, security service providers, and civil society.
- Conduct interviews in a manner that ensures the safety of all interviewees and researchers.
- In close coordination with Country Director, oversee research efforts provided by consultants and partnership with research institutions.
- Any other task assigned by your line manager.
Drafting Reports and Advocacy:
- Develop pragmatic recommendations for communities, security forces, government, civil society, and diplomatic actors.
- Contribute to the drafting and review of internal and external reporting for accuracy and consistency.
- Transcribe and synthesize findings from research while maintaining maximum objectivity.
- Develop high-quality papers, research reports, policy briefs and creative outputs based upon research findings.
- Along with country director, brief government officials, civil society representatives, communities, and diplomatic community on research findings.
- In close coordination with the Country Director and MEL team, ensure data is collected and reported for CIVIC’s internal learning as well as donor reporting.
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal-All staff (Program & Operation staff)
- External -Donor Representatives & Relevant security forces.
Educational Qualification & Experience Requirements
- Candidates should possess a Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years’ experience and a successful track record of designing, conducting, and publishing research on conflict issues.
- Understanding of and experience in conflict sensitive research methodologies
- Knowledge of conflict, political and civilian protection dynamics in northeast Nigeria preferred
- Demonstrable objectivity and rigor in prior research efforts.
- Proven ability to synthesize large amounts of data, identify areas of agreement and disagreement, and develop research findings.
- Demonstrated experience making practical, and implementable, policy and programmatic recommendations based on research findings.
- Demonstrable ability to draft reports, policy briefings and papers in an accessible style
- An understanding of conflict prevention, conflict mitigation and protection of civilians preferred.
- Poise, flexibility, and mature judgment to engage professionally in stressful and conflict-affected environments.
- Be comfortable working independently and with teams to drive organizational results.
- Creative thinker with the ability to develop new research issues.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, and fast-growing, organization.
- Travel: Up to 50% required (domestic, principally in conflict areas in the northeast).
- Experience forming and leading research teams in Nigeria, preferably in the northeast.
- Proven experience conducting qualitative research, including key informant interviews, focus groups discussion, and other methods.
- Experience conducing mixed method research, including qualitative and quantitative research.
- Experience interviewing, and engaging with, survivors of violence, including the use of ethical research protocols.
- Demonstrable experience in developing and implementing research studies that examine dynamics around age, gender, disability, and other social characteristics and include and highlight the voices and experiences of those often marginalized such as women, people with disabilities and young people
- Nationally and LGAs within Northeast Nigeria.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Fluency in Hausa is desirable. Kanuri is an advantage.
Application Closing Date
29th August, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Equal Opportunity: CIVIC is an equal –opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, etc.
- CIVIC is not able to sponsor employees now, therefore, please ensure that you are able to legally work in this location when applying. Upon offer, the candidate will be asked to provide a copy of their passport, National ID, work permit, or other documentation which allows them to work in the specified location.
- Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies:CIVIC does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. CIVIC does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.