Job position – Protection Officer (Community-based) Work location – Roving (Girei, Yola, Mubi, Michika & Madagali)
Reporting to – Senior Protection OfficerSupervision of – N/A
General purpose of the position
Under guidance of the Senior Protection Officer, Staff member is responsible for planning and conducting daily monitoring visits, Focus Group Discussions, sensitization/awareness raising and information dissemination, community mobilization and engagement, referrals, assessments and data collection and gaps identification among Persons with Special Needs, particularly Persons Living with Disabilities (PWD). In addition, contribute to the development of concept ideas on PWD programming and support coordination with other partners to harmonize and advocate for services, assistance and protection of Persons Living with Disabilities.
Tasks and Main Responsibilities
- Identify and ensure inclusion of Persons with Special Needs (PSN), particularly Persons Living with Disabilities (PWD) among affected population in the provision of protection and assistance in the intervention sites;
- Conduct needs assessment among Persons Living with Disabilities to understand their situation (including living conditions and needs) to inform programme planning, response and advocacy on behalf of the population group;
- Maintain a comprehensive record (including bio-data, vulnerability, protection and material needs, referrals, etc. in a password protected database) of all PSNs with particular focus on Persons Living with Disabilities identified in the intervention areas;
- Build capacity of staff, volunteers and local leaders and authorities on the protection and inclusion of and mainstreaming of Persons Living with Disabilities into all sectoral interventions across the programme implementation locations; and the Magna Carta of PWD and Convention on the Rights of PWDs
- Carry out awareness raising / sensitization in communities and lead (INTERSOS) preparation and execution of the commemoration of International Day of Persons Living with Disabilities in coordination with other actors (including NGOs, CBOs and Civil Society Organizations);
- Facilitate referral to INTERSOS Psychosocial support team on the need of psychosocial support of Persons Living with Disabilities and other persons of concern in need of such services amongst the affected population across the intervention locations;
- Provide clear information on available services to and facilitate referrals of Persons Living with Disabilities (PWD) to other agencies including specialized services on need basis and carry out proper follow up on all referred cases;
- Ensure procurement and distribution of in-kind disability aid materials and assistive devices; such as: orthotics, prosthetics, visual aids, hearing aids, wheelchairs, crutches, splints, braces, footwear and other mobility devices on need basis and in timely manner;
- Liaise with appropriate stakeholders including government institutions, Civic Society Organizations, NGOs and benevolent, religious and community support groups to ensure effective coordination, protection and inclusion of persons living with disabilities;
- Establish and/or strengthen committees on Person Living with Disabilities and build capacities of the committees’ members to support protection of (including identification, referrals, advocacies, etc.) and communication with community on Persons Living with Disabilities;
- Contribute aspects relating to Persons Living with Disabilities during development of concept notes and proposals. Also, produce timely reports including flash updates, weekly and bi-weekly report and prepare draft of monthly, mid-term and end of project reports;
- Perform any other tasks as required or assigned by the supervisor.
- University degree in a related field (e.g. Social Work, Psychology, Law)
- Minimum 5-years of relevant work experience in psychology, social work, case management, counselling, etc.;
- Minimum 3- of work experience with an INGO, NGOs and/or local authorities in years Nigeria in the protection sector;
- Minimum 2-year of supervisory experience with an INGO, NGOs and/or local authorities in Nigeria
- Advanced computer literacy (Microsoft Office Suite, e-mail, internet, etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal, communication skills, writing and reporting skills
- Ability and motivation to work well with local authorities, local leaders and local community.
- Willing to work extra hours and available at the weekend for emergency cases.
- Capacity to work under pressure and willingness to work and live in a complex context.
- Excellent leadership, planning, organisation, people management and time management skills;
How to apply
Interested candidates should complete this form and attach CV with the following format “Surname Position you applied for”. ONLY applicants whose competencies meet the requirement of the position will be contacted.
Application deadline: apply no later than 31st May 2022 at 4:00 PM.
INTERSOS do not ask for any form of payment at any stage of recruitment. Applications are processed according to the order of arrival. INTERSOS reserves the right to close the offer before the term initially expressed in the advert, if an applicant is accepted.