Position Title: Project Support Officer
Duty Station: Juba, South Sudan
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 30 November 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM in South Sudan has a broad range of programming centred around three broad areas: humanitarian coordination and support; humanitarian response and resilience; and peacebuilding, transition, and development. Humanitarian coordination and support includes leading/co-leading the Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) and Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI) Clusters, Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and management of WASH and Shelter and NFI core-pipelines, humanitarian hubs and common transport services. Humanitarian response and resilience includes CCCM, WASH, Shelter & NFI, health, protection, gender equality and inclusion, mental health and psychosocial support and the management of a Rapid Response Fund. Under peacebuilding, transition and development, IOM South Sudan implements programmes on housing, land and property issues, transition and recovery, transhumance conflict prevention, community-based violence reduction, community development and migration management.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Programme Coordinator (Community Resilience and Disaster Risk Management) and the direct supervision of the Enhancing Community Resilience
Project (ECRP) Programme Officer, and in full coordination with the Programme Support Unit (PSU), the Project Support Officer will be responsible for assisting with the review, editing, development and submission of ECRP reports and communications products.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide technical guidance and inputs to support the preparation of updated ECRP project narratives, work plans, logical frameworks, results matrices, and other project-related documents, in close coordination with PSU.
- Track project budgets for ECRP, draft specific reports, including budgetary and results reports, and recommend action to resolve issues in close coordination with the Resource Management Unit (RMU) and PSU.
- Facilitate the timely start-up and implementation of the project´s overall monitoring, quality control, and process improvement, and check adherence to IOM rules and principles, and donors’ requirements.
- Assist in the roll-out of ECRP-II backstopping community engagement for local governance and disaster risk reduction, including kick-off meetings and periodic review meetings.
- Provide technical and procedural support to interface with IOM’s Project Information and Management Application (PRIMA), including results monitoring, reporting, project revision etc.
- Provide administrative and logistical support for the preparation and organization of donor’s missions, conferences, meetings, trainings and other events, and assist with communication and liaison activities with donors, counterparts, and the Government.
- Coordinate the production and draft specific segments of project information factsheets, newsletters, and ad-hoc reports for internal and external use.
- Assist in the implementation of visibility actions related to ECRP.
- Coordinate and contribute to the development and implementation of the ECRPcommunication and visibility plan, including the use and management of social media tools, periodic newsletters, stories, and other relevant communications, in close collaboration with the PSU/communication team.
- Support the mission communication officer/team in the production of advocacy and communication materials (e.g., briefings, newsletters, press releases, media packets and reports, films, videos, audio-visuals, etc.), and in the social media outlet updates by providing technical inputs and guidance.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in International Law, International Relations, Political or Social Sciences, Development Studies, Human Rights, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in project coordination and implementation;
- Experience in liaising with government actors on national and international level;
- Experience in liaising with international organizations, preferably in the UN context;
- Experience in research, drafting/writing, and monitoring project or donor reports;
- Experience in coordinating or managing data, online communications, and social media channels.
- Ability to draft correspondence and communicate effectively in English;
- Familiarity with financial oversight and knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and SAP (PRISM) highly desirable;
- Knowledge of IOM/UN accounting system, software and procedures a distinct advantage;
- High level of professionalism and ability to work under pressure and adhere to strict deadlines in a complex and fast changing environment;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and gender sensitivity;
- Knowledge of MS Office products and good computer literacy skills required.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic, French, Spanish, and/or a local language is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications HERE via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 30 November 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2022 319 Project Support Officer (P2) Juba, South Sudan (57843386) Released
Posting: Posting NC57843387 (57843387) Released