Position Title : Project Officer (WASH)
Duty Station : Dnipro, Ukraine
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, nine months
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 26 May 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), the guidance of the Emergency and Stabilization Programme Coordinator, and the direct supervision of Program Officer (WASH), the Project Officer (WASH) will be responsible for supporting Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) project functions in accordance with the International Organization for Migration’s (IOM) regulations, rules and procedures.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Provide technical inputs and information for the development and execution of the WASH strategy/response plan for IOM in alignment with the overall emergency response plan of the organization.
2. Check that the projects(s) activities under responsibility align with time, quality and budget as per the project’s work plan and inform the Programme Manager of any delay or workaround required for timely completion of activities.
3. Provide necessary information and documentation to support the preparation of project proposals and/or for IOM to contact potential donors. Assist in organizing and coordinating donor visits. Contribute to contingency planning for possible WASH emergency response if required.
4. Draft and/or review technical specifications, Bill of Quantities (BoQs), drawings of the WASH infrastructure planned to be implemented as necessary in order to facilitate the quality of the output and alignment to donor requirements. Monitor technical progress of the project(s) under supervision and check compliance of outputs to planned targets.
5. Contribute to the monitoring of project(s) budget according to internal and donor requirements. Adhere to the guidelines provided by the Programme Coordinator (WASH) regarding the use of budget lines for the project(s) activities.
6. Supervise relevant staff and help to resolve team conflicts.
7. Coordinate and support project(s) procurement activities in close coordination with the Programme Coordinator (WASH) as well as in accordance to specifications or BoQs. Closely coordinate with the procurement and logistics unit to facilitate the procurement and delivery of the required materials and items to the respective sites in a timely manner. Follow up the schedule with contractors and prepare and sign completion certificates as delegated. Work closely with the administrative units of IOM to facilitate contracts management, including close out procedures and final payments to the contractors.
8. In close coordination with the Programme Coordinator (WASH), liaise with the WASH Cluster, other WASH agencies, government authorities / entities and other relevant stakeholders as appropriate to coordinate IOM WASH activities. Check that all relevant permits and authorizations are obtained from the local authorities to facilitate project stability and good relations with the local government.
9. Under the direction of the Programme Coordinator (WASH), coordinate the implementation of activities with IOM support units, liaising with project(s) team as required.
10. Facilitate the dissemination of information in a timely manner.
11. Monitor project implementation, undertake regular visits to the areas of operation and record relevant data for further analysis. Ensure that all the project data and information is archived and shared appropriately. Draft progress reports to the Programme Coordinator (WASH) indicating progress, constraints and requirements for project completion.
12. Facilitate the integration of cross-cutting issues in the WASH programming such as Gender-Based Violence (GBV), Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP), Environment and other cross cutting issues of relevance.
13. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Geology or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in the implementation of WASH activities humanitarian crises and in support of emergency responses;
• Experience in the region is an advantage;
• Experience in the coordination and implementation of WASH infrastructure, including contract management;
• Experience in the implementation of activities that include the promotion of hygiene.
• In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization.
• Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
• Excellent Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Skills; Managerial Skills; Organizational Skills.
• Ability to work with limited supervision.
• Works effectively with Donors, local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge Ukrainian and Russian is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
*With frequent travel to other locations within Ukraine.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 26 May 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment
system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 20.05.2022 to 26.05.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2022 153 Project Officer (WASH) (P2) Dnipro, Ukraine (57579789) Released
Posting: Posting NC57579790 (57579790) Released