Position Title: Deputy Chief of Mission (Governance and Mobility)
Duty Station: Baghdad, Iraq
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P5
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 02 June 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- External female candidates:
- Candidate from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states of IOM and female candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director for the Middle East and North Africa based in Cairo, Egypt, direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), and in close coordination with the Deputy Chief of Mission for Peace and Development (in Erbil), the successful candidate will support the CoM in their responsibility to ensure programmatic coherence, effectiveness, and efficiency across the mission. The successful candidate will oversee the Country Office’s migration governance and mobility programme portfolio, as well as the national UN Migration Network Secretariat and sub-offices in the centre and south of Iraq. The successful candidate will ensure that implementation of IOM programmes is done in line with IOM Iraq’s mission strategy (2021-24) and in line with the expectations of IOM’s Donors, the Government of Iraq, and beneficiaries.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In close coordination with the Deputy Chief of Mission (Peace and Development), oversee the Country Office’s governance and mobility programme portfolio, including the direct supervision of Partnership and Coordination, Migration Health and Migration Management Divisions, as well the national UN Migration Network Secretariat.
- As delegated by the CoM, represent the CO, promoting IOM activities with the national authorities, diplomatic corps, United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), United Nations Country Team (UNCT) agencies, governmental and private donors, the Multinational Forces (Civil-Military coordination), non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and other partners.
- Operate as administrative supervisor of all Heads of Sub-Offices in the centre and south of Iraq. Ensure the effective management of offices is in place and, in coordination with the Head of Resources Management, ensure that office/administrative systems are fit for purpose to support the implementation of IOM programmes, that offices report in timely and informative manner, and that relevant Heads of Sub-Offices fully discharge their duties.
- Contribute to ensuring the highest efficiency in CO Risk Management and Compliance functions, to ensure strengthening internal controls and compliance with contractual rules and regulations through effective management and the provision of accurate, researched, and documented risk and compliance information, effective delivery of services, transparent utilization, and management of programme resources.
- Ensure the continuous, effective, and efficient planning, coordination, and integration between the CoM’s Office in Baghdad, DCoM’s (Peace and Development) Office in Erbil, and Sub-Offices in Iraq.
- Work closely with the CoM, DCoM (Peace and Development) and Division Heads to enhance inter-unit/ division collaboration and coordination, to maximize efficiencies and efficacy within the CO programming, to ensure that all IOM Iraq work towards common goals and a consistent and coherent strategy.
- Make strategic recommendations and provide advice to the CoM/DCoM/Senior Management to improve the overall performance of the CO and support the CoM’s Office with development of strategy/policies/guidance notes, organize regular senior management meetings, set up meetings with external partners (UN/Govt etc.), prepare speeches/talking points, and support/facilitate consultation process with government/UN/international community on IOM Iraq’s Strategy.
- Coordinate and manage IOM Iraq’s inputs into key policy documents/ frameworks of the UN, Government, donor, and other forums, with a special focus on migration governance, mobility, and the Global Compact for Migration.
- Support IOM’s engagement with UN and governmental partners though the provision of strategy documents, position papers, presentations, talking points, etc., in order to ensure that IOM presents a consistent and professional face in any aspect of our engagement with partners.
- Coordinate the generation of strategic information and ensure that information is disseminated in an efficient and coordinated manner both within IOM as well as to external partners. Ensure that different research studies that are being developed in the CO are complementarily in focus.
- Formally deputize for the CoM and stand in for DCoM (in Erbil) on an ongoing basis, as needed, and exercising CO management responsibility, including facilitating senior management meetings and other coordination meetings, as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with ten years of relevant professional experience; or,
- University degree in the above fields with twelve years of relevant professional experience.
- Operational and field experience in project development and management, monitoring and evaluation;
- Experience in managing IOM/UN offices and liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions;
- Work experience in Iraq or MENA region is an asset.
- Sound knowledge of refugee and migration related issues, including economic and social conditions of migrants in several countries;
- Good knowledge of financial and administrative management;
- Excellent knowledge of technical cooperation principles, concepts and techniques.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French, Spanish, and/or Arabic is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 02 June 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 20.05.2022 to 02.06.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2022 135 Deputy Chief of Mission (Governance and Mobility) (P5) Baghdad, Iraq (57577913) Released
Posting: Posting NC57577914 (57577914) Released