Job Identification : 13450
Locations : Islamabad, Pakistan
Posting Date : 09/04/2023, 06:57 AM
Apply Before : 09/18/2023, 06:59 PM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NB4
Vacancy Type : National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area : Crisis management / Country Management Support
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Contract Duration : 1 Year
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 2 year(s) experience OR Bachelor’s Degree – 4 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English
Mobility required/no mobility
no mobility required
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP Pakistan’s Decentralization, Human Rights and Local Governance (DHL) project is a multi-sector project aimed at strengthening federal, provincial and local governance mechanisms against the backdrop of the 18th Constitutional Amendment (2010). The core objective of the project is to ensure inclusive service delivery in all 4 provinces of Pakistan by providing capacity development support to relevant federal ministries and provincial line departments with an aim to create an enabling environment for effective local governance and rights-based development. At the policy level, the project focuses on supporting provincial governments in preparing inclusive policies; at the institutional level the project emphasizes on digitization of existing government systems and at the community level the project works towards social inclusion of vulnerable populations, especially women in coordination with provincial human rights, local government and social welfare departments. The project incorporates gender equity and gender equality as a cross-cutting theme, with specific focus on enhancing capacities and accountability on gender equal and disaggregated approach. This means developing and implementing specific measures to ensure the effective inclusion and voice of women, girls and persons with non-binary gender identities – specifically from the most marginalized and disenfranchised groups. The project has three main components: (1) human rights; (2) social inclusion and gender equality (3) people centred security
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the National Technical Advisor (NTA), the ‘Project Officer – Rights Based Development’ is expected to achieve the aforementioned deliverables, working in close collaboration with the project’s programme and operations teams
- Lead implementation of UNDP’s Human Rights Programme with key Federal Government Partners, particularly the Ministry of Human Rights (MoHR)
- Lead the initiative to provide normative and capacity development support to government partners, CSOs and statutory bodies (NHRIs), particularly the National Commission for Human Rights (NCHR).
- Support ongoing project programming focused on gender justice and rights of most vulnerable communities with Federal institutions.
- Lead project reporting from on-ground initiatives and facilitate project management for improved efficiency
The individual shall undertake the following duties and responsibilities
Lead implementation of UNDP’s Human Rights (Rights Based Development) initiatives
- Lead coordination with the Ministry of Human Rights, Government of Pakistan, on UNDP’s rights-based development initiatives in the country
- Assist the Project Analyst in preparation of all internal and external reports with regards to project implementation
- Support the Research Analyst for any coordination with the Government of Pakistan, particularly the Ministry of Human Rights in effective implementation of its mandate on responsible business practices (BHR Programme)
- Provide capacity development support to civil-society organisations on key initiatives such as the HRIMS, HR Indicators, Business and Human Rights, Environmental (Gender) Justice etc.
- Take lead in preparing and updating project dashboard with all internal and external planning, monitoring, reporting and evaluation deadlines with regards to human rights component
- Regularly share updates from international funding partners on thematic areas relevant to project implementation
- Keep track of progress against deliverables of Individual Contractors (ICs) and Firms contracted by the Project to ensure timely and quality delivery of the rights-based development programme
Support implementation of UNDP’s Security, Gender Equality Social Inclusion and Protection Initiatives
- Conduct necessary research and assist coordination efforts to facilitate work to promote social protection and social inclusion of vulnerable and at-risk populations with Federal Partners
- Assist the team in implementation of the environmental access to gender justice programme
- Create a repository of documents, knowledge products and reports on relevant subject matters
- Take lead in coordination with the National Commission for Human Rights Office in Islamabad on UNDP’s rights-based development initiatives, including research and facilitation for development and implementation of the Commission’s Multi-Year Work Plan to achieve GANHRI A Grade Status
- Support initiatives related to implementation of UNDP’s women in governance, and gender justice project components.
Lead project reporting and facilitate project management for improved project efficiency
- Assist the CTA in conducting research in facilitating preparation of all internal and external reports with regards to project implementation of above areas, and others as and when required
- Keep track of progress against deliverables of Individual Contractors (ICs) and Firms contracted by the Project to ensure timely and quality delivery
- Research and create repository to support the Project Analyst in preparation of concept notes, project proposals and also assist in preparation of budgeted workplans for submission to potential funding partners for expansion of programme interventions.
- Coordinate with the project’s subject specialist experts, including the Project Officers in the provinces, to ensure cross-fertilization and a cohesive approach to programming research and project implementation.
- Preparation and disseminate all routine communication to the Project Analyst.
- Coordinate with government counterparts on exchange of best practices on effective rights-based development between provinces
- Perform any other related duty as and when required.
The incumbent of the position will uphold non-discriminatory behavior and ensure that:
- Human rights and gender equality is prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions.
- Activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UN”;
- Any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender is respected within all implementations including data production.
- Differentiated needs of women and men are considered;
- Inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is created;
- Necessary arrangements to provide gender parity within all committees, meetings, trainings, etc
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
People Management competencies:
- UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
2030 Agenda: Peace
- Rule of Law, Security and Human Rights: Safeguarding human rights and protecting vulnerable groups
- Multi-stakeholder engagement and funding: Ability to engage with a wide range of public and private partners, build, sustain and/or strengthen working relations, trust and mutual understanding
- Relationship management: Ability to engage with a wide range of public and private partners, build, sustain and/or strengthen working relations, trust and mutual understanding
- UNDP Representation: Ability to represent UNDP and productively share UNDP knowledge and activities; advocate for UNDP, its values, mission and work with various constituencies
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in development studies, social sciences, business or related field
- At least two (2) years, with master’s degree, of experience in project design, management, monitoring and evaluation.
- At least two (4) years, with Bachelor’s degree, of experience in project design, management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Effective Project Management skills.
- Effective strategic human resources management
- Knowledge of financial resources management
- Knowledge of procurement and logistical services
- Some understanding of the operating environment, particularly with regards to risk assessments and mitigation strategies
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.), experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Knowledge and experience working in the UN/international organizations or UNDP rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Extensive experience in donor reporting on development programmes/projects.
- Experience of handling operations and finance for projects with development of financial plans, budgets and processes.
- Proficiency in English (spoken and written) is essential.
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.