Marine Reserve Management Specialist
Job advertisement : Sep 5/2023
Publication cancellation date : Sep 19/2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FLCHI – FAO Representation in Chile
Job type : Temporary work
Requirement Type: PSA ( Personal Service Agreements )
Grade Level: N / A
Main location : Chile
Duration: 3 months
Position Number: N / A
IMPORTANT NOTICE – The expiration date and time displayed above are based on the date and time indicated on your personal device.
FAO seeks to ensure gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and its international consultants, in order to serve the Member States of the Organization in the best possible way in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of sex, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of under-represented or under-represented Member States and persons with disabilities with the necessary qualifications are encouraged to submit their applications.
- All persons working for FAO must comply with the highest standards of professional integrity and conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
The main objective of FAO country offices, headed by an FAO Representative, is to help governments develop policies, programs and projects to achieve food security and reduce hunger and malnutrition, help develop the agricultural, fisheries, forestry sectors and use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable way.
On December 2, 2020, Mr. M.Sc. Carlos Manuel Rodríguez CEO and President of the Global Environment Facility ( GEF, for its acronym in English ) communicated CEO Endorsement of Full-sized Project, which approves the Project Document “ Strengthening management and governance for the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity of global importance in coastal marine ecosystems in Chile ”, which aims to improve the governance of coastal marine spaces, in addition to committing the actors that act on the coastal edge to incorporate management measures and technologies for the sustainability of the fishing resource and improve the effective management of marine protected areas. The executing agencies of the project are the Ministry of the Environment ( MMA ), the Ministry of National Assets ( MBBNN ),the Undersecretariat for Fisheries and Aquaculture ( SUBPESCA ), the Undersecretariat for Regional and Administrative Development ( SUBDERE ), the Undersecretariat for the Armed Forces ( SSFFAA ) and the National Fisheries and Aquaculture Service ( SERNAPESCA ), with FAO as the implementing agency. More information about the project is available at: https://gefgobernanza.mma.gob.cl/.
Specialists represent an important source of knowledge for FAO and make their specialized contributions worldwide to achieve the strategic objectives of the Organization. In order for FAO to attract and employ the best possible experts in the wide range of technical areas of its mandate, a competitive selection process has been introduced. The objective of this process is to create a group of candidates that can be used when their experience is required, guaranteeing a transparent and rigorous selection process.
These Terms of Reference are related to the requirement to hire a / a Professional Marine Reserve management support at the North Pilot Site, GEF Coastal Marine Governance, to provide on-site technical assistance for the correct and successful implementation of Product 1.2.1 activities: Management of MPAs implemented with regional and local agreements that promote the participation of local actors and Product 2.1.1: Pilot coastal communities adopt biodiversity-friendly management practices and technologies to sustainably use marine resources and ecosystems, in the context of the implementation of the GEF project.
Under the general supervision of the National Project Coordinator.
Under the direct supervision of the Biregional Coordinator of the Northern Zone of the Project.
Field of specialization
The/the Professional will provide assistance in the design and execution of activities associated with improving the effectiveness of the management of marine protected areas ( Islas Choros-Damas and Chañaral ) Marine Reserves of the Pilot Site North. These activities must be carried out in conjunction with the National Fisheries and Aquaculture Service, which administers the Marine Reserves and incorporates the members of the corresponding Administration and Advisory Committees, in addition to key actors for each activity.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Promote close coordination and alignment with project execution activities at the North Pilot Site, under the guidance of the Bi-regional Coordinator and SERNAPESCA.
- Prepare Work Plan to fulfill the assigned tasks, which will be agreed and coordinated with SERNAPESCA
- Support the Project Management Unit ( UGP ) and SERNAPESCA in the coordination and direction of meetings, workshops to coordinate with local actors ( public, private and community ) the execution of assigned tasks.
- Strengthen governance of Advisory Committees of both Marine Reserves under the guidance and guidance of SERNAPESCA, following the model of the 5 attributes of good governance of the project ( legitimacy and voice, direction, performance, responsibility and accountability and justice and law ).
- Collaborate in the design of the Intersectoral Strategy for the Control and Surveillance of Marine Reserves, generating synergies with ongoing initiatives ( public-private ) and exchange of systems experiences/technologies that exist in other areas
- Collaborate with a specialist in Sustainable Tourism in the Normative Elaboration and promotion of Good Practices for Recreational Diving for both Marine Reserves.
- Collaborate in the implementation of a strategy of good practices, management of navigation and tourism residues in the context of both Marine Reserves ( coordination with an ongoing initiative in SERNAPESCA and others ).
- Collaborate in the organization of Beach Cleaning activity with maritime governance and Advisory Committee.
- Technical support for a public-private initiative to certify / accredit tour operators in Marine Reserves ( consider an ongoing initiative ) that would incorporate several of the aforementioned products.
- Collaboratively design and implement a dissemination and regulatory extension strategy aimed at local communities and visitors ( tourism operators, La Serena and Coquimbo ), including technical support for signage design that will be financed by project.
- Collaborate with other tasks that are required by the Birregional Coordination.
- Prepare a Final Report on the work done.
THE CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUED IN ARRANGE TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- University degree, of at least 8 semesters, in the areas related to biology, natural resources, conservation, or social sciences, with demonstrable specialization in conservation planning and management, especially in marine protected areas.
- At least 3 years of experience in projects associated with conservation planning and management.
- Demonstrable experience in collaborative work with coastal communities, public services, academia and private related to nature conservation, especially the marine one.
- Chilean nationality or resident in the country with regular work permit.
FAO core competencies
- Results-based approach.
- Effective communication.
- Building effective relationships.
- Knowledge exchange and continuous improvement.
Technical / functional skills
- Demonstrated ability to carry out field work, teamwork and establish good working relationships with public institutions, civil society organizations, private and local communities.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, execute projects, and meet goals in a short time.
- Experience and capacities for organizing events.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to projects in progress, abiding by guidelines defined in advance.
- Excellent oral and written skills.
- Work experience in associated projects in conservation planning and management.
- Desirable experience in governance strengthening processes
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in the management and regulations of marine protected areas.
- Knowledge and experience in participatory planning, relationship with various actors and goal monitoring.
- High availability to carry out field work in the towns of the North Pilot Site
- Ability to prepare administrative and technical reports in a timely manner. With high quality standards.
- Have residence in the Coquimbo or La Serena communes, or willingness to move to the area.
- Immediate availability.
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all and integrity and transparency.
- FAO does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process ( application, interview, processing ).
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. If you need help or have questions, contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the expiration of the application deadline will not be accepted.
- We inform you that FAO will only consider academic degrees or credentials obtained from a teaching institution included in the World Database on Higher Education, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For any other questions visit the FAO website on employment: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/es/.
PRESENTATION OF REQUESTMENTS
- If you want to apply, go to the FAO Recruitment Website ( Employment in FAO ) and complete your online profile.
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. Only applications received through the contracting portal will be considered.
- We advise candidates to submit their application sufficiently in advance of the expiration of the term.
- If you need help, contact: [email protected] .
IN THE LOCALS OF FAO IT IS FORBIDDEN TO SMOKE