Job Requisition Type: Evergreen (Formerly known as talent pools, in order to have a balanced number of ready-to-hire candidates who can be deployed at short notice to a vacancy that best matches their skills. Evergreens are primarily used to fill Temporary Appointments.)
Call for applications – Programme Officer, P4: Location: Various locations
Why should you join us?: UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, takes the lead in protecting people forced to flee wars and persecution around the world, providing life-saving aid including shelter, food and water to ensure their basic safety, rights and dignity. With 18,879 women and men working in 137 countries, we work tirelessly to make a difference in the lives of 89.3 million forcibly displaced people worldwide.: Our dedicated and professional staff work around the clock in roles including legal protection, community services, public affairs, health and more. Despite the challenges they can face, our staff are proud to work for UNHCR and determined to make a positive impact.
How can you make a difference?: The Senior Programme Officer may be based in HQ, regional bureau, or a country operation, typically reporting to and be guided by the Chief of Section/Deputy Director/Operations Manager and may supervise a team of local and international staff. The Senior Programme Officer will provide strategic programmatic guidance and advice to senior management with regard to the implementation of country or bureau level protection and solutions strategies within available resources. S/he will coordinate with the other sections/units within the bureau and/or office(s) across the country/region to ensure harmonized programmatic approaches at all levels and throughout the UNHCR programme cycle. S/he will work in line with the multi-functional team approach and the overall UNHCR directions which crucially require working with stakeholders, including with forcibly displaced and stateless people, governmental institutions and entities, non-governmental organizations, the public and private sectors, ensuring that programme management is approached as per UNHCR’s Strategic Directions,), Global Compact for Refugees (GCR), and corporate positions on SDGs. He/she may refer to UNHCR’s Programme policies and the Programme Handbook, and other relevant institutional rules and regulations for further guidance.
Key responsibilities and duties::
- Ensure that the needs of the forcibly displaced and stateless are included in the multi-year strategies and annual implementation priorities in compliance with an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective, as well as planning parameters, policies and principles.
- Provide guidance on the programmatic aspects for developing multi-year protection and solutions strategies and annual implementation priorities, in line with Results-based Management principles, programme planning, and management parameters outlined in policies and the Programme Handbook and other guidance.
- Provide overall direction to broaden partnerships with key stakeholders, especially local organizations, to maximize the protection and solutions response for forcibly displaced and stateless people.
- Guide and provide directions to office(s) in operationalizing new and emerging policies, strategies and partnerships, including in an inter-agency context, identifying opportunities and innovative solutions and ensuring compliance with existing standards.
- Ensure adherence to policies and guidance on selection/retention of partners that is based on the best-fit implementation modality and consequent procedures for the establishment of partnership agreements.
- Review and analyze plans and ensure the timely UNHCR office(s) reporting submissions, while maintaining quality assurance and compliance with established policies, guidelines, procedures and standards.
- Recommend appropriate solutions to identified potential gaps and problems, in cooperation with relevant sections for the efficient implementation of programme activities.
- Develop comprehensive assistance programmes that compliment activities implemented from other operational partners.
- Oversee a timely and effective follow-up of internal and external audits observations and recommendations that relate to programmatic issues.
Who are we looking for?: Candidates with 9 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 8 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 7 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree.
Requirements: Demonstrated experience in developing and managing humanitarian projects and programmes including the allocation and management of resources. Sound knowledge of the UNHCR programme cycle. Knowledge and practical experience on Results Based-Management principles, and preferably UNHCR programme management tools and systems. Demonstrated experience in field operations. Sound knowledge on the centrality of protection in programming. Strong coordination and stakeholder management, as well as monitoring and project management skills.
Advantage: Demonstrated experience in coordination within an inter-agency context and other actors, in a refugee or humanitarian context. Solid experience in training and capacity building activities. Strong capability to analyze complex financial and budgetary data, and formulate, draft and review project agreements. Possess excellent coordination, organizational, stakeholder and time management skills, including project management experience. Knowledge on Joint Needs Assessments and the principles of assistance targeting would be an asset.
For a more detailed description, please review the job description: https://www.unhcr.org/63dcfa134
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: UNHCR’s workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. We seek to sustain and strengthen this diversity and to ensure equal opportunities, as well as an inclusive working environment, for our entire workforce. Joining us means living, sharing and promoting these core values of inclusion, diversity and gender equality.
Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.