Job Identification : 10691
Locations : Nigeria
Posting Date : 05/16/2023, 04:06 PM
Apply Before : 06/06/2023, 09:00 PM
Job Schedule : Full time
Grade : P4
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Rotational/Non Rotational : Non-Rotational
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education and Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 7 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English
Vacancy Timeline : 3 Weeks
Job Category : Administration/Operations/Support
The Programme Coordinator provides the Calabar Sub-office with daily support on programme and operational issues, research and data collection; and assists in the management of the country programme components implemented in the Kaduna state. The Programme Coordinator is part of a Country Office team led by the UNFPA Representative, which provides integrated programme, technical support within the systems strengthening approach fundamental to UNFPA’s overall strategy, and strengthen the partnership and resource mobilization capabilities to increase domestic resource mobilization.
You will report directly to the UNFPA Representative.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Programme Coordinator oversees the delivery of the Country Programme components to be implemented in the Cross River State, and also plays a leadership role within the sub-office, supervising the programme team assigned to the sub-office and inspiring them to translate the country programme goals into specific solutions and results. S/he substantively contributes to the management of UNFPA activities in all areas of its mandate, and proactively provides UNFPA Representative with updates on programmes implementation and results in Cross River State. Furthermore, s/he establishes and maintains collaborative relationships and promotes partnership, synergy and strategic alliances with counterparts in government, multilateral and bilateral agencies, civil society organizations as well as community-based organizations to facilitate successful delivery of the program.
You would be responsible for:
The Programme Coordinator provides the Calabar Sub-office with daily guidance on programme and operational issues, research and data collection; and leads in the management of the country programme components implemented in the Cross River state. He/she is part of a country office team led by the UNFPA Representative, which provided integrated programme and technical support within the systems strengthening approach fundamental to UNFPA overall strategy.
- Provides substantive leadership and inputs into the design and formulation of programmes and projects translating UNFPA’s mandate and strategic priorities, particularly the three transformative goals into local interventions, and responding to Government plans and priorities.
- Introduces into the project formulation process the results of programme and project reviews and evaluations, best practices, as well as innovative strategies, approaches and policies.
- Provides substantive technical support and coordination for the effective management of all programme outputs including development and implementation of result-based work plans, project financial monitoring and budget management.
- In collaboration with the Representative, provides a harmonized coordination support to UN Agencies, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and state’s national authorities through the establishment of a wider/appropriate consultation process to enhance coordination between state counterparts, development partners, thus strengthening the links between states counterparts and UN Agencies, taking into consideration the DaO architecture where required.
- Coordinate with other UN agencies in the provision of technical and program assistance in the Cross River State and capacity development initiatives; and directly supervise and coach sub-office staff.
Donor/Private Sector and Civil Society Engagement
- Advance key relationships to strengthen, positioning and elevating UNFPA Nigeria’s profile with corporate and High Net Worth Individuals.
- Conduct regular scan of Private Sector/Corporates in Nigeria, prioritize relevant Corporates and develop engagement strategies including cause related marketing.
- In conjunction with the Regional Resource Mobilization and Partnerships Advisor and the Country Office’s communications unit develop corporate engagement packages, marketing materials on Nigeria to preposition the Country Office.
- Build relationships and maintain credibility with Corporates and other Private donors.
- Regularly monitor and share information on the Nigerian and global Corporate Social Responsibility trends with implications for Resource Mobilization in Middle Income contexts.
- Document best practices on Private Sector engagement and resource mobilization, Knowledge transfer, and Private Sector Resource Portfolio Compliance Management.
- Develop digital fundraising strategy for MICs within ESAR
- Implement the digital fundraising strategy
- Raise the profile and brand of UNFPA to individual donors
- Maintain individual donor portfolio
- Document best practices on Digital Fundraising
- Compile new data on current trends on innovative financing
- Support COs in identifying and developing investment cases for SDG Financing
- Maintain and strengthen relationships with a wide range of partners to optimize Innovative Financing opportunities.
- Support business development activities for Innovative Financing
Knowledge Transfer and Management
- Lead capacity assessment of Country Offices in Private Sector/Corporate engagement including Private Sector Resource Portfolio Compliance Management, Digital Fundraising, Innovative Financing, Knowledge transfer
- Facilitate capacity development planning with the RO, CO’s
- Monitor implementation of Capacity development plans
- Develop Corporate engagement training package and tools
- Build Capacity of Country Offices in Corporate engagement and Fundraising Portfolio Compliance.
- Facilitate the development of a Corporate grants database for performance monitoring and portfolio management in ESAR.
- Facilitate the Due diligence process.
- Liaise with CO’s to ensure corporate program implementation issues have been resolved and ensure on time submission of key Corporate grant documents as per agreement with donor (semi and annual reports, midterm and final evaluation reports, quarterly financial reports etc).
- Contributes to the resource mobilization strategy by analyzing information on potential donors, preparing substantive briefs and project proposals in line with donor priorities, creating feedback mechanisms and providing information on progress of donor funded projects. Identifies opportunities for cost sharing.
- Plays a leadership role within the sub-office, supervising the programme team assigned to the sub-office and inspiring them to translate the country programme goals into specific solutions and results.
- Proactively provides UNFPA Representative with updates on programmes implementation and results in Cross River state.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships and promotes partnership, synergy and strategic alliances with counterparts in government, multilateral and bilateral agencies, civil society organizations as well as community-based organizations to facilitate successful delivery of the programme.
- Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
Qualifications and Experience:
Advanced university degree in Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Gender, International Development, or related discipline.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 7 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in program management and development relevant to Population and Development, Sexual and Reproductive Health, and Gender.
- Substantive knowledge and practical experience in population and development, sexual and reproductive health, and gender issues.
- Experience in program and/or technical assistance with the UN System.
- Excellent communication skills in speaking and writing English, to foster engaged partnerships at the highest level and to maintain political partnerships in the assigned region.
- Ability to work independently and as part of an integrated, diverse team and be comfortable in multiple, high varied settings with different work and learning styles.
- Ability to lead and manage teams to achieve results.
- Field experience in Sub-Sahara Africa would be an advantage.
Proficiency in both written and spoken English is required
Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
Embracing cultural diversity,
Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
Thinking analytically and strategically,
Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results-based programme
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilization
- Innovate conceptually to enhance program effectiveness
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.