Professional in Environmental Issues
Job advertisement : Aug 31/2023
Publication cancellation date : Oct 31, 2023, 10:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FLCHI – FAO Representation in Chile
Job type : Temporary work
Requirement Type: PSA ( Personal Service Agreements )
Grade Level: N / A
Main location : Chile-Santiago
Duration: 11 months
Position Number: N / A
IMPORTANT NOTICE – The expiration date and time displayed above are based on the date and time indicated on your personal device.
FAO seeks to ensure gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and its international consultants, in order to serve the Member States of the Organization in the best possible way in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of sex, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of under-represented or under-represented Member States and persons with disabilities with the necessary qualifications are encouraged to submit their applications.
- All persons working for FAO must comply with the highest standards of professional integrity and conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
The main objective of FAO country offices, headed by an FAO Representative, is to help governments develop policies, programs and projects to achieve food security and reduce hunger and malnutrition, help develop the agricultural, fisheries, forestry sectors and use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable way.
This vacancy is part of the work of the FAO Representation in Chile that considers the transversal perspectives and the main tasks defined by the Government of Chile and by which FAO will focus its support on the following priorities: ( i ) contribute to food and nutrition sovereignty and security, through sustainable agri-food systems, to achieve healthy diets without leaving anyone behind; ( ii ) promote sustainable, efficient and inclusive production systems, promoting food and nutrition sovereignty and security with territorial relevance; ( iii ) manage the climate crisis, the protection and restoration of ecosystems; and ( iv ) reduce inequalities, through the inclusion in the economic and social development of rural populations and territories,with greater emphasis on territories in vulnerable situations.
National incumbents represent an important source of expertise for FAO and make their specialized contributions worldwide to achieve the strategic objectives of the Organization. In order for FAO to attract and employ the best possible experts in the wide range of technical areas of its mandate, a competitive selection process has been introduced. The objective of this process is to create a group of candidates that can be used when their experience is required, guaranteeing a transparent and rigorous selection process.
These Terms of Reference are related to the requirement to hire a national owner with a focus on environmental, climatic issues, of biodiversity and the other cross-cutting areas inherent in FAO’s mandate in Chile. The owner must support the collection, systematization and analysis of information, as well as the analysis of public policies, instruments and/or regulations on matters related to climate change mitigation and adaptation, biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of natural resources in the context of food systems.
Under the general supervision of the FAO Representative in Chile and the direct supervision of the GEF-GCF Task Manager.
Field of specialization
Under the guidelines of the GEF-GCF Task Manager and the FAO Chile Environmental Program team, the owner has within his objectives the survey, systematization and analysis of information and analysis of public policies, instruments and / or environmental regulations, climate change and / or biodiversity in relation to the issues of FAO’s mandate, in consideration of other tasks that may arise to fulfill the objectives and mandates of the FAO Representation in Chile for their contribution to the incorporation of key issues in the portfolio of projects and allowing to increase the incidence of FAO Chile on the public agenda with possibilities of enriching the portfolio of projects of the Representation.
Tasks and responsibilities
Collect, systematize, and analyze relevant information on environmental, climate change, and / or biodiversity issues relevant to FAO’s mandate and initiatives in Chile.
Analysis and of public policies, instruments and / or environmental regulations, climate change and / or biodiversity in relation to the themes of FAO’s mandate in Chile.
Support the crossing of the country’s key public policies with the international commitments signed by the Country.
Support compliance with the Organization’s guidelines at the international level through FAO’s work in Chile.
Maintain close coordination and permanent follow-up with the GEF-GCF Task Manager and, if appropriate, with the National Project Coordinators, the Technical Officers/as Project leaders and the FAO Chile Environmental Program team.
Support other activities related to the mission within the framework of the work of the FAO Chile Environmental Pillar.
THE CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUED IN ARRANGE TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, law, science / natural resources, social sciences.
- Verifiable work experience of at least 5 years in matters related to the position.
- Native or advanced Spanish level, intermediate English level.
- Chilean nationality or resident in the country with regular work permit.
FAO core competencies
- Results-based approach
- Multidisciplinary teamwork
- Effective and timely communication
- Building effective relationships
- Knowledge exchange and continuous improvement
Technical / functional skills
- Desirable master in environmental, natural resources.
- Verifiable experience in information management and reporting
- Verifiable experience in public policies in Chile.
- Desirable experience and / or knowledge of the national environmental institutionality.
- Desirable experience and / or environmental knowledge and / or agri-food systems.
- Desirable knowledge on gender issues and indigenous communities.
- Experience in project management and use of planning and management tools.
- Microsoft Office user level knowledge.
- Proven coordination capacity.
- Openness and respect for differences and sensitivity towards non-discrimination policies based on race, religion, ideology, sex, orientation and gender, disability and disease ( including HIV / AIDS ).
- Good interpersonal and communication relationship.
- Proven capacity for work in multidisciplinary teams.
- Initiative and proactivity.
- Working capacity under pressure.
- Overview and strategic analysis capacity.
- Orientation to results.
Ability and willingness to learn and to generate and share knowledge.
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all and integrity and transparency.
- FAO does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process ( application, interview, processing ).
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. If you need help or have questions, contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the expiration of the application deadline will not be accepted.
- We inform you that FAO will only consider academic degrees or credentials obtained from a teaching institution included in the World Database on Higher Education, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For any other questions visit the FAO website on employment: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/es/.
PRESENTATION OF REQUESTMENTS
- If you want to apply, go to the FAO Recruitment Website ( Employment in FAO ) and complete your online profile.
- Incomplete applications will not be taken into account. Only applications received through the contracting portal will be considered.
- We advise candidates to submit their application sufficiently in advance of the expiration of the term.
- If you need help, contact: [email protected] .
IN THE LOCALS OF FAO IT IS FORBIDDEN TO SMOKE