Professional digital image processing structuring
Job advertisement : May 3, 2023
Publication cancellation date : May 17, 2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FAO COLOMBIA
Job type : Temporary work
Requirement Type: NPP ( National Project Personnel )
Grade Level: N / A
Main location : Colombia-Bogota
Duration: 3 months trial period, renewable
Position Number: N / A
FAO seeks to ensure gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and its international consultants, in order to serve the Member States of the Organization in the best possible way in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of sex, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of under-represented or under-represented Member States and persons with disabilities with the necessary qualifications are encouraged to submit their applications.
- All persons working for FAO must comply with the highest standards of professional integrity and conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
FAO is the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, leading the international effort for a world free of hunger and malnutrition in which food and agriculture contribute to improving the living standards of all its inhabitants, especially the poorest, economically, socially and environmentally sustainable. We work to contribute to the fulfillment of Agenda 2030 and its global goals by promoting sustainable, inclusive and resilient food systems to achieve production, nutrition, an environment and a better life.
The vacancy is located in Bogotá with trips to the project’s areas of action. The position belongs to the area of Natural Resources and Governance.
Under the general supervision of the FAO Representative in Colombia, the Program Officer, the technical supervision of the senior specialist in natural resources and governance and the direct supervision of the national project coordinator.
Field of specialization
The digital image processing structuring professional is responsible for leading digital image processing for forest management, complying with FAO standards.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Contribute to the development of activities 1.1 “Strengthening of existing national forest monitoring of early warning reports in deforestation areas” and 1.3 “Support the application of rural environmental cadastres as a measure to monitor deforestation at the farm level” defined in the framework of the product “Strengthening of national and local capacities for monitoring and control”, of the project.
- Work in coordination with IDEAM’s Ecosystems and Environmental Information Subdirectorate or whoever is delegated by IDEAM from this unit.
- Generate a detailed work plan and schedule of activities that must be established in agreement with the leader of Digital Image Processing for Deforestation and Degradation (D&D) of the SMByC and the project coordinator, for the object to be developed.
- Carry out the digital pre-processing of the assigned scenes, in relation to the application of procedures for cloud masking and other atmospheric conditions.
- Compile the necessary information for the elaboration of the metadata corresponding to the generated products, in accordance with the Standards established by IDEAM.
- Support the process of standardization and organization of the data used as input (images) and generated (thematic layers) of the SMByC, for its availability on the servers in accordance with the IDEAM standards.
- Provide the definitive information generated in the formats defined for this purpose.
- Make periodic backup copies of the information according to the specifications defined by the project coordinator.
- Ensure the integrity and security of the information handled in the exercise of its activities.
- Generate and produce the necessary alerts when the processes or the storage structure are in critical stages.
- Support the processes of officialization of the information generated by the Forest and Carbon Monitoring System (SMByC) under the guidelines of the SIA group of IDEAM and the project coordinator.
- Prepare the cartographic information and reports necessary to timely respond to requests for information within the framework of the SMByC, which includes periodic monitoring reports and early warnings.
- Generate a proposal for the organization and purification of the cartographic information contained in servers to avoid duplication of information.
- Deliver monthly reports on the progress of the contract, as well as a final report on the activities carried out within the term of execution of the contract.
- Compile and contribute to the structuring of geographic databases for monitoring forest area and deforestation at property level, in areas in the process of granting rights of use provided by the National Land Agency (ANT), identifying elements to implement gender perspective, and in the periodicities established by the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development and the National Land Agency, especially that related to the area of the Amazon biome.
- Participate in work meetings, courses, presentations, and other socialization, training, or capacity transfer events to which they are designated, including the gender approach for monitoring project activities.
- Support the activities that arise from cooperation agreements with key partners, in relation to selection, download or processing of satellite images, information generation, reports, reports and graphic outputs.
- Carry out its activities, in accordance with the parameters and guidelines established by FAO.
- The consultant must consult, study and appropriate the PROTOCOL FOR THE REPORTING OF CASES OF SEXUAL EXPLOITATION AND ABUSE OF COMMUNITIES (delivered by Human Resources Management) and report immediately, in accordance with it, the cases that are known to them. FAO Colombia has zero tolerance for any practice of sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Promote the generation and dissemination of good practices in gender matters in accordance with the FAO gender equality policy.
- Write, document and present reports on the results of the execution of the planned activities.
- Any other work related to the topic in charge that is required by the coordination of the project, which are related to the nature of the position.
- Facilitate the documentation and systematization of strategic experiences of FAO.
- Promptly fill out the position delivery certificate at the time of withdrawal from the organization and in case of exercising supervisory functions, follow up on the correct delivery of the position of the personnel in charge.
CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUATED ACCORDING TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Professional in cadastral and geodetic engineering, forestry, systems, geography or related, desirable postgraduate degree in geographic information systems, geomatics, or related areas.
- Minimum general work experience of four (4) years in research work on geographic information, geographic information systems, remote sensing applied to monitoring natural resources.
- Specific experience of at least two (2) years related to the structuring and standardization of geographic information, thematic mapping officialization processes, participation in geographic data statistical operations.
- Practical knowledge of Spanish (level C) spoken and written.
- Colombian nationality.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results-based approach
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
- Experience working with multidisciplinary and multicultural groups.
- Management skills for articulation with regional, local and national actors, public and private.
- Ability to work in a team, good interpersonal relationships and assertive communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team and establish networks and alliances.
- Leadership, initiative, creativity, responsibility and flexibility.
- Recognized capacity for the elaboration and development of work plans.
- Ability to act at all times with extreme discretion regarding the documents, information and materials of the United Nations.
- Permanent attitude and behavior of cordiality, composure, respect and collaboration with all the people and organizations with whom he interacts.
- FAO does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing).
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help or have questions, please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the application submission deadline has expired will not be accepted.
- We inform you that FAO will only consider degrees or academic credentials obtained at an educational institution included in the World Database on Higher Education, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For all other questions visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/ .
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all, and integrity and transparency.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
- If you would like to apply, go to the FAO recruitment website ( Jobs at FAO) and complete your online profile.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
- We advise candidates to apply well in advance of the deadline.
- If you need help, contact: Careers@fao.org.
SMOKING IS PROHIBITED ON FAO PREMISES