The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. We work with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated and well supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism. UNV is administered by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and reports to the UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Executive Board.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Procurement Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Host Entity: UNDP
Duration: 6 months (with possibility of extension)
Number of Assignment: 1
Sustainable Development Goal: 17. Partnerships for the goals
Volunteer category: National UN Volunteer Specialist
Expected Start Date: 07/06/2022
Mission and Objectives
- UNDP is the United Nations largest agency with a mandate to eradicate poverty, through sustainable and inclusive human development. UNDP has been in Nigeria since the country became independent in 1960 providing capacity building and policy development support to the Federal Government of Nigeria in areas of Governance & Peace Building, Inclusive growth, and Sustainable Development.
- UNDP continues to support the government in the implementation of development interventions aimed at meeting medium to long term goals enshrined in National and Subnational development plans as well as the Sustainable Development Goals.
- The goal of UNDP is to improve the lives of the people of Nigeria, especially the poorest and most vulnerable, and to ensure a future that offers equality, dignity, and opportunity for all.
- UNDP works in partnership with the federal Government of Nigeria, development partners, UN agencies, civil society and local communities to help identify local solutions to meet global and national development challenges through a range of interventions that combine UNDP’s expertise and comparative advantage in the areas of Governance & Peace Building, Inclusive growth and Sustainable Development.
- Under the overall supervision of the Service Center Manager and direct supervision of the Procurement Specialist, the NUNV Procurement Officer will be responsible for the effective delivery of procurement services in order to obtain the best value for money for the UNDP Nigeria Service Centre.
- The NUNV Procurement Officer manages and undertake the procurement for the Service Center and any other Project/Programme as approved by the UNDP Nigeria Resident Representative.
- He/She will provide solutions to a wide spectrum of complex issues related to procurement.
- The NUNV Procurement Officer promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the Unit.
- Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the Area Coordinator or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UN Volunteer will:
Summary of key functions:
- Efficient management of procurement processes
- Elaboration, introduction and implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensures efficient management of procurement processes focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure quality in the preparation of all procurement documentation including organization of RFQ, ITB, RFP and IC Notices, receipt and evaluation of quotations, bids and proposals, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulation.
- Establishment and implementation of proper monitoring system and control of procurement processes;
- Preparation and submissions of procurement cases to the UNDP review Committees (CAP/RACP/ACP).
- Management of procurement contracts and perform functions of a Buyer in Atlas.
- Elaboration and implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase Orders (PO) are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems. Proper records keeping in line with Procurement policy.
- Management of the implementation of the procurement processes monitoring system and mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in procurement.
Ensures elaboration, introduction and implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development and management of the rosters of suppliers, elaboration of supplier selection and evaluation, quality and performance measurement mechanisms.
- Management of the e-procurement system.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of training for the operations/ projects staff on Procurement.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in Procurement.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- 27 – 80.
- Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
Required education level:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Procurement, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field.
- 3 years of experience in Procurement
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- CIPS II is compulsory and required.
Area(s) of expertise:
- Administration, Business management, Procurement and contracting
- English, Level: Fluent, Desirable
- Hausa, Level: Working knowledge, Desirable.
Competencies and values:
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards.
Living conditions and remarks:
- Maiduguri is the capital and the largest city of Borno State in North-Eastern Nigeria. Spoken languages are English (official), Hausa, Fulani, and others. The prevailing climate in Maiduguri is known as a local steppe climate with little rainfall during the year.
- Temperatures are generally between 25 and 38 °C. Driest month is January, and May is warmest one. Security environment in the North East continues to be a cause of concern due to ongoing armed conflict between security forces and insurgents. Despite some recent gains by security forces, Boko Haram insurgent group remains resilient and continues to resort to asymmetrical warfare resulting in collateral damage among civilian population.
- UN Security Level-3 is currently in place in Maiduguri, and it is non-family duty station. This implies that official and private road travel by staff is limited as per the MOSS and all official missions in this region should not begin before 07:00 and be in a secure location no later than 18:30.
- Security escort is not required for travel within the city. However, police escorts are required as per MOSS for travel by road for most of the directions outside Maiduguri city. Most of the areas of responsibilities are accessible by UNHAS helicopters.
- Manual security clearance as well as TRIP system clearance should be obtained from UNDSS for all travels by road/air within North-East of Nigeria.
- Traveling from Maiduguri to major cities (Abuja, Lagos, Yola, etc.) can be on several UN cleared commercial air carriers, as well as UNHAS.
- As this is a national UN Volunteer assignment, the UN Volunteer will be responsible for arranging his/her own housing and other living essentials.
Application Closing Date
15th June, 2022.
How to Apply
Intereted and qualified candiates should:
Click here to apply online
- United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme that welcomes applications from qualified professionals.
- We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, care protected characteristics.
- As part of their adherence to the values of UNV, all UN Volunteers commit themselves to combat any form of discrimination, and to promoting respect for human rights and individual dignity, without distinction of a person’s race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
Note on Covid-19 vaccination requirements:
- Selected candidates for certain occupational groups may be subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) in line with the applicable host entity policy.