Job Identification : 10956
Locations : Bissau, Guinea-Bissau
Posting Date : 05/31/2023, 10:00 AM
Apply Before : 06/08/2023, 03:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NPSA-6
Vacancy Type : National Personnel Service Agreement
Practice Area : Management
Education & Work Experience : High School certificate – 6 year(s) experience
Other Criteria : 3 years with University Degree of progressively responsible procurement or administrative experience
Required Languages : Proficiency in Portuguese is required – both written and oral. Working level knowledge in English is required
Desired Languages : French language is considered an asset.
Job Category : Administration/Operations/Support
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Present in the country since the signature of the Cooperation Agreement with the Government of Guinea-Bissau on 29 June 1975, immediately after its independence, UNDP CO in Guinea-Bissau has been the lead partner providing support to the Government in the areas of good governance, sustainable, inclusive and resilient development, working for a future that offers equality, dignity and opportunities for all.
Key Programme focus areas are: a) governance: constitutional review, rule of law and local governance structures and empowering women, youth and civil society; b) promoting inclusive economic growth: poverty reduction, decent work, food security, and the structural transformation of the economy through economic diversification, agricultural technology and value chain development and market support systems; c) climate change adaptation, disaster risk management and mitigation, preservation, and development of biodiversity; and d) health and social protection.
The country office has about 100 Personnel with different contract modalities where the Procurement unit supports the country office as well as other UN agencies in the country. Under the guidance of the Deputy Resident Representative (Operations) and direct supervision of the head of Procurement Unit, the procurement Associate will ensure execution of transparent and efficient procurement and travel services and processes in CO. The Procurement Associate promotes a client-focused, quality and results- oriented approach in the The Incumbent, in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO and UNDP HQs staff promotes a client-focused, quality and results- oriented approach for resolving complex procurement and travel related issues and information exchange.
Duties and Responsibilities
Description of Responsibilities :
The Procurement Associate will provide operational support in implementation of the project activities and will bear the responsibility for the design and efficient implementation of the procurement plan and strategy, ensuring compliance with UNDP procurement and travel policies and procedures for all procurements and travels throughout the duration of the project. The following key results are expected:
- Implementation of operational strategies.
- Implementation of procurement processes.
- Implementation of sourcing strategy.
- Control of CO Assets.
- Provision of travel and logistical services
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensures implementation of the operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control.
- CO Procurement business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement and Logistics in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
- Identifying the need for streamlining the procurement processes via LTAs and conducting due process for establishing LTAs.
Implements procurement processes for CO, NIM/DIM projects and at the request of other Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of procurement plans for the office and projects and their implementation monitoring.
- Implementation of procurement processes including preparation and conduct of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Preparation of Purchase orders and contracts in and outside Quantum, preparation of Recurring Purchase orders for contracting of services, suppliers’ registration in Quantum. . Buyers profile in Quantum.
- Preparation of submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP), Regional Advisory Committee on Procurement (RACP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP).
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems.
- Presentation of reports on procurement in the CO.
- Preparation of cost-recovery bills for the procurement services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
- Implementation of joint procurement processes for the UN Agencies in line with the UN reform.
- Resolves issues/problems related to delivered goods, including discrepancies between purchase orders and items/quantities shipped or received; prepares and signs Return to Vendor forms for unacceptable and/or damaged goods received;
- Maintains relevant internal filing and databases as per the up-to-date record management proactices; keeps track of any document contractual agreements, direct provisioning contracts, and other relevant records.
Ensures implementation of sourcing strategy focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Development and update of the rosters of suppliers, implementation of supplier selection and evaluation.
- Provide advice/guidance to programme/project colleagues on application of UNDP procurement policies and procedures for various implementation activities.
Ensures proper control of CO Assets focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Preparation of inventory and asset reports.
- Implementation of inventory and physical verification control in the CO and projects.
- Ensures organization of logistical and administrative services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of travel including purchase of tickets, DSA calculation; arrangement of shipments; conference facilities arrangements.
- Timely conducted DSA survey,
- Assessment of hotels and conference facilities, as required.
- Assisting in processing payments related to Operations and common services, in compliance with the UNDP Rules and regulations and policies.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Procurement and travel.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Procurement.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline.
LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements.
LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback.
Adapt with Agility:
LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible.
Act with Determination:
LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident.
Engage and Partner:
LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships.
Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Ability to identify and organize action around mitigating and proactively managing risks.
Collective Intelligence Design
Ability to bringing together diverse groups of people, data, information or ideas, and technology to design services or solutions.
Effective Decision Making
Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources.
Ability to extract, analyze and visualize procurement data to form meaningful insights and aid effective business decision making.
Ability to find, evaluate and engage suppliers of goods and services as well as individual consultants.
The ability to acquire goods, services or works from an outside external source.
Knowledge of contract management concepts, principles and methods, and ability to apply this to strategic and/or practical situations.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
Min. Education requirement:
- Secondary Education with specialized training in procurement is required or.
- University Degree in Business, Public Administration, or related field will be given due consideration
- Minimum 6 years with Secondary Education or 3 years with University Degree of progressively responsible procurement or administrative experience is required at the national or international level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc).
- Advance knowledge of automated procurement systems, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section:
- Certificate in Public Procurement (CIPS) would be an asset.
- Procurement and or administrative support experience in the UN or other international organizations would be an asset.
- Experience in the development projects in the international organizations would be an asset.
- Hands-on experience in using ERP system, such as Quantum (UNDP Specific Software).
- Proficiency in Portuguese is required – both written and oral.
- Working level knowledge in English is required
- French language is considered an asset.
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.