Principal Operations Officer- Regional Head of Operations
Job #: req22835
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Bogota,Colombia; Sao Paulo,Brazil
Required Language(s): English, Spanish
Preferred Language(s): Portuguese
Closing Date: 6/9/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org
Regional Heads of Operations (RHO) are multi-sectoral integrators who will function as high-level services brokers in support of Regional Directors as they aggregate and facilitate cross-cutting work across IFC Investment, Upstream and Advisory Services. Also, RHOs oversee routine reporting and compilation of operational data for internal consumption. IFC is seeking an RHO for the Latin America and the Caribbean Region (LAC) to be based in Sao Paulo, Brazil or Bogota, Colombia. The position will report to the two Regional Directors for LAC.
Duties and Accountabilities: 1) Regional Strategy
- Lead on strategic, cross cutting regional initiatives or programs, as required and defined (delegated on behalf of the Regional Director).
- Design regional strategic partnerships with donors.
- Coordinate and consolidate regular updates and reporting for corporate consumption.
- Serve as a key connector to the wider WBG and as a key member in the WBG RCM process; facilitate collaboration among the Bank, IFC and MIGA within the region to provide integrated solutions to clients.
- Work with the Regional Heads of Industry, Country Managers and Strategy teams to aggregate country demand and develop regional platforms and work programs, with a particular emphasis on thematic, multi-sectoral work that promotes integrated and innovative solutions in support of the growth strategy.
- Coordinate the consolidation of priorities as defined by the Country Strategies.
2) Facilitation of Advisory and Investment Projects:
- Advisory Projects
- Standardize governance (through participation in Concept Review Meetings/Implementation Plan and portfolio meetings) for IFC Advisory Services programs in the Industry and Cross Cutting Solutions departments.
- Promote overall alignment of donor-funded activities with regional and country strategies.
- Oversee the overall regional advisory program portfolio and aggregate deliverables / commitments for regional management team review.
- Ensure cross-unit coordination of Advisory and Upstream activities
- Oversee IFC Program leads in the region on projects linked to agreed Joint Implementation Plan areas.
- Develop an end-to-end perspective of investment activities by previewing pre-CRM stage projects, developing and sharing insights with the Regional Directors in cases where she/he will be co-Chairing the corresponding concept review discussion, and conducting ongoing monitoring of these projects in portfolio. In addition, the successful candidate will review investment activities to ensure they are coordinated with Upstream activities and align with Country strategy priorities.
- As needed, and as specifically authorized, act on behalf of RDs in reviewing and approving specific projects and initiatives in both advisory and investment operations, as determined by the Regional Directors. Planning & Donor Funding Coordinate the annual Country Driven Budgeting process for all units in the region to ensure consistency and compliance. Maintain oversight of the ongoing optimization of resource allocation in the region and assess new activities vis-à-vis strategic fit and relevance with the Country Driven Budgeting. Work closely with Partnerships to (i) review and support implementation of the regional fundraising strategy; (ii) ensure regional operational teams are coordinating with Partnerships on donor engagement including coordination of fundraising efforts and communication with donors; (iii) review fundraising proposals to ensure consistency and alignment with regional strategy; and (iv) ensure quality control over donor reporting for regional activities, including clearing of all reports going to donors for regional funds.
3) Regional Footprint and Infrastructure Administration
- Oversee the day-to-day administration of IFC’s Sao Paulo (or Bogota) office, including ACS support infrastructure, space management, security, and coordination with IBRD regarding joint space in the building.
- Coordinate IFC’s office footprint in the region for optimal resource deployment and representation. Including coordination of ACS capacity across offices. Facilitate information flow from Country Managers, Resident Representatives and Office Heads to the Regional Director and ensure consistent resolution of administrative issues.
- Coordinate and oversee regional support infrastructure through a pre-identified network of key contacts in the following areas: (i) Economic analysis and assessment of private sector development issues and regional risks (i.e. through the Country Framework Engagement, Development Impact, and IFC Research teams); (ii) Portfolio monitoring and pipeline reporting (i.e. through the AS Portfolio Management, Equity and Valuation, and Debt, Pricing and Portfolio Management teams); and the Finance & Budget team (i.e. for support in managing regional departmental “BB” budget, Trust Funds including their allocation to delivery units, and the regional FMTAAS allocation to ensure delivery of the agreed program).
4) Knowledge, Learning, and Solutions
- Facilitates knowledge generation and promotes knowledge sharing across IFC.
- Develops partnerships with local and regional knowledge institutions, think-tanks and NGOs to facilitate knowledge exchange.
- Actively participates in GP or IFC communities of practice as appropriate.
- In collaboration with Industry or Advisory Managers, coaches and mentors in-country staff working on the program (including providing feedback on performance appraisals) and participates in Industry Management meetings related to program implementation to capture discussions around key challenges with clients.
- Supports the positioning of IFC as a market maker and leader in the region.
- MBA, Master’s in Finance or similar degree and a minimum of 10 years relevant work experience.
- Outstanding and proven track record of performance in investment and advisory activities, including success in developing client relationships; ability to represent IFC externally, and to develop relationships with governments, media, clients, and other stakeholders.
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders on complex or sensitive projects, with proven ability to exercise sound business judgment, utilizing strong interpersonal and negotiation skills and ability to manage and resolve conflict.
- Ability to think strategically with robust analytical and problem-solving skills; to identify issues and propose proactive and creative solutions that meet the needs of client countries.
- Proven commitment to sustainable and inclusive development.
- High level of motivation to seek out new business and try out innovative ideas.
- Strong team leadership skills, and ability to work effectively in multicultural, matrix and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Capacity to deal with conflicting priorities and deliver high quality work on schedule.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.