Job position – Pharmacy Manager Work location – Maiduguri (with frequent field visits)
Reporting to – Medical Coordinator Supervision of – Warehouse Pharmacist and Pharmacy Assistants
General purpose of the position
Under the supervision of the Medical Coordinator, the Pharmacy Manager takes responsibility for defining, coordinating and monitoring all pharmacy related activities in the Mission, according to INTERSOS standards and values, with consideration of national and donor’s regulations, in order to ensure the quality and proper organisation of medical supply process, procedures and protocols, the proper management of the medical stock in the projects and, in collaboration with the medical team, the correct use of medicines and medical material.
Tasks and Main Responsibilities
- Ensures proper implementation of quality drugs supply system in line with INTERSOS standards, ensuring quality assurance: focal point for
- Ensures the record of all items received and issued in appropriate electronic or hard management tool/database and reporting on drug consumptions and medical equipment dispensed according to protocols, informing on unusual patterns as well as forecasting future needs, in order to rationalize the budget and to ensure availability.
- Assists in training of medical team (doctors, nurses, CHEW, Warehouse Pharmacist, Pharmacy Assistants) regarding dispensing of drugs and their side effects.
- Supports the MedCo in representing and defending INTERSOS interests before the Donors, Ministry of Health and other local authorities or local suppliers for any issue concerning pharmaceutical supply, in order to ensure stock procurement in the projects while complying with the national laws and donor’s regulations and following INTERSOS protocols. Collaborating in budgeting, forecasting and preparing drug and other medical material orders together with Medical and Logistic Coordinators.
- Supports the Medical Coordinator regarding the follow-up of EPREP planning and maintenance of medical emergency kits.
- Supports by participating in all drug and medical material supply processes and ensuring its overall efficiency and effectiveness. This involves regular technical visits to project sites to ensure appropriate follow up of activities and management of field pharmacies; collecting and analyzing stock indicators according to physical records and logistic across different project’s sites and together with the PMR and Medical Coordinator taking corrective decisions when necessary and providing technical pharmacy support regarding pharmaceutical information, medication use (protocols and rational drug use), management of side effects, adherence issues etc.
- Ensures the collection of data for monitoring and surveillance of optimal quantity and quality of medicine use. Supporting activities at service level for effective drug distribution and control, quality prescription (rational drug use), medicines reconciliation, antibiotic stewardship interventions such as restricted use antibiotic review, follow up of pharmaceutical care plans, patient counselling, good dispensing practices and safe medication practices.
- Monitors the procurement process and taking corrective measures when needed, ensuring regular communication with Medical, Logistics, HR and Finance departments regarding Medical Supply and Pharmacy Management. Supporting the Medical Coordinator in order to ensure local medical purchases are made from approved sources, subject to approval of Section Pharmacist.
- Being responsible for follow-up of loans/donations and management of expired medications according to INTERSOS procedures (and national legislation in case of expired drugs).
- Plans and supervises, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required.
- Participates in reporting according to INTERSOS guidelines (SitReps, medical statistical reports, etc.) and reporting on drug consumption and medical devices dispensed according to protocols, informing on unusual patterns.
- Ensures storage, stock management and supply processes, as well as hygiene and security procedures, tools, and protocols, implementing appropriate quality controls and records, in order to ensure good storage conditions (temperatures, humidity and light exposure) and availability of drugs and medical material, according national regulations and in cooperation with the logistics department.
- Ensures efficient supply to field’s pharmacies according to orders and stocks, and using cold chain when needed. Monitoring and analyzing orders of depending fields pharmacies/end-user units in order to avoid ruptures of stock or having expired drugs
- Any other related task assigned by the Medical Coordinator
- Essential, Bachelor Degree in Pharmacy (BPharm.).
- Desirable, Medical related studies (Nursing, Public Health, Health Education etc).
- Essential previous experience of at least 1 year in similar or relevant positions.
- High level computer literacy, especially excellent MS Excel / Word skills
- Essential computer literacy (Microsoft Office Suite, e-mail, internet, etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Excellent analytical and reporting skills;
- Leadership, people management and coaching skills;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Willing to work extra hours and available at the weekend for emergency cases;
- Capacity to work under pressure and willingness to work and live in a complex context;
How to apply
Interested candidates should complete this form and attach CV with the following format “Surname Position you applied for”. ONLY applicants whose competencies meet the requirement of the position will be contacted.
Application deadline: apply no later than 3rd June 2022 at 4:00 PM
INTERSOS do not ask for any form of payment at any stage of recruitment. Applications are processed according to the order of arrival. INTERSOS reserves the right to close the offer before the term initially expressed in the advert, if an applicant is accepted.