Abt Associates is an engine for social impact, fueled by caring, curiosity and cutting-edge research that moves people from vulnerability to security. Whether it’s welfare or weather disasters, the environment or economics, agriculture or HIV and AIDS, we address the world’s most pressing issues. Our work is diverse and so is our bold workforce. We never fail to ask “What if?” We identify patterns, we search for the best way.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nigeria Health Workforce Management (HWM) Consultant (Sokoto)
Job Identification: 101919
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job Schedule: Full time
- The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Health Workforce Management (HWM) activity supports establishing a cost-effective, well-trained, and motivated health workforce in targeted rural and remote areas of Bauchi, Sokoto, Kebbi, and Ebonyi states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). Banyan Global implements the project in collaboration with Abt Associates, the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI), and Solina Health.
- The project also collaborates with local experts, universities, training institutions, federal and state governments, and the private sector and provides support via targeted grants under contract (GUCs).
- The overarching purpose of the activity is to support the establishment of a cost‐effective, well-trained and motivated health workforce, particularly in targeted rural and remote areas in the focus states of Bauchi, Kebbi, Sokoto, Ebonyi, and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). This approach will help address the shortage of skilled healthcare workers within Nigeria’s primary health care (PHC) system.
- Abt Associates Inc. will lead the activity’s Intermediate Result (IR) area two with the objective of strengthening the human resources information system (HRIS) to keep track of recruitment, deployment and retention of health workers. Working with the Department of Health Planning, Research, & Statistics (DHPRS) of the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH), the Abt team will support efforts to strengthen the HRIS to provide data for decision-makers to support HRH planning, management and address inequities and inefficiencies.
- The activity will support ongoing efforts by collaborating with the FMOH’s DHPRS to link the supported priority states to the National Health Workforce Registry (NHWR) and build local capacity to use the information for decision-making.
Aim of the Consultancy
- Abt Associates seeks a Consultant to support activities aimed at strengthening HRIS in Sokoto State. The successful consultant will report to the Senior HRIS Advisor based in Abuja.
The consultant’s responsibilities will include:
- Serve as the activity’s HRIS focal point in the respective states
- Support the states to strengthen HRIS governance structures
- Conduct assessments to inform improvements in state practices in utilizing HRH information for evidence-based planning, coordination and management
- Support the state to develop and implement state-specific capacity improvement plans and lead capacity building sessions
- Monitor HRIS implementation progress, and share periodic reports
- Attend project meetings and workshops
- Advanced or Master’s Degree in Public Health, Project Management, Health Information, Data Management or other relevant fields with 3 – 5 years of experience
- Minimum 5 years experience with health information systems
- Demonstrable experience interacting with representatives from state ministries of health, private sector, civil society organizations, national health professional councils, and non-governmental organizations
- Ability to work in Sokoto State (no relocation costs will be provided)
- Proficiency with Microsoft suite
- Experience in data analytics as well as analyzing and presenting information
- Excellent oral, and written communication skills in English and ability to work well on a team
- Periodic (activity / weekly / monthly / quarterly) reports on progress against implementation activities
- Satisfactory capacity building of state stakeholders on HRH data management, use and operationalisation of the HRIS
- Strengthen state stakeholder capacity for HRH data analysis and development of annual health workforce profiles
Period of Performance:
- The anticipated period of performance for this assignment is July 1, 2022 – September 30, 2022, with possibility of extension.
Application Closing Date
17th June, 2022 (16:52)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online