The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Individual Consultancy – Research and Data Analysis Officer
Location: Awka, Anambra
Additional Category: Democratic Governance and Peacebuilding
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 25-Jul-2022
Duration of Initial Contract : 6 months
Expected Duration of Assignment : Initial 6 months with possibility for Extension
- The Anambra State Government has established a 15-person Committee on Truth, Justice, and Peace with a mandate of supporting the State to lay a firm foundation for a peaceful, unified and prosperous future.
- The Committee will execute its mandate through an inclusive stakeholder dialogues, consultative processes and participatory research as a basis for forging a common ground and shared approach to addressing the root causes of conflict.
- In playing its role, the Committee will also make clear recommendations to the State Government on the alternative pathways for peaceful resolution of disputes that could arise in the future, address grievances for inclusive and sustainable development.
- The 15 members of the Committee are comprised of eminent persons carefully selected from across the political, economic, private sector, cultural and religious spheres.
- To ensure, effective and timely execution of the Committee’s mandate, the Anambra State Government with support from UNDP will establish a Secretariat to serve as the administrative, technical and management arm of the committee.
- The Secretariat will be comprised of a lean core team of 5 staff. This team will be supported and mirrored for mutual learning and experience transfer by a team of 4 staff seconded from Government. This team will play the following key technical and supportive roles:
- Research and data analysis
- Logistics and Administration
- Communications and Stakeholder Engagement
- Information Management and Technology
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the overall guidance of the UNDP DRR (P) and supervision of the Crisis Prevention and Recovery Advisor the Research and Data Analysis Officer will be responsible for initiating key assessments, ensuring deep understanding of regional socio-economic issues and dynamics.
Summary of Key Duties
- Prepare background notes through desk review of the latest socioeconomic publications and analyses and Anambra and the region as a whole;
- Participate in key stakeholder engagements and sessions relevant to the mandate of the Committee and provide key policy recommendations and responses;
- Assist in preparing periodic and up to date briefs concerning socio-economic trends in the region
- Compilation and visualisation of key of data and information to inform Committee meetings and outreach events
- Participation in/assistance with the activities related to data collection, analysis and visualisation on socio-economic issues
Expected Outputs and Deliverables
Deliverable – 1:
- Content – Committee’s Research and Documentation Strategy
- Timing – 10 days after signing contract
Deliverable – 2:
- Content: Periodic background notes through desk review of the latest socioeconomic publications and analyses and Anambra and the region as a whole
- Timing – Monthly
Deliverable – 3:
- Content: Periodic and up to date analytical briefs, issue papers and position pieces concerning socio-economic trends in Anambra and the region
- Timing – Monthly
Deliverable – 4:
- Content: Compilation and visualisations of key of data and information to inform Committee meetings and outreach events
- Timing – Monthly
Deliverable – 5:
- Content: Stakeholder engagement reports and conceptualisation notes
- Timing – Monthly
Deliverable – 6:
- Content: Compiled Committee Research and Documentation Reports
- Timing – Monthly
Coordination and Supervision:
- The UNDP Anambra State Socio-Economic Analyst will be under the overall supervision of the UNDP Deputy Resident Representative (Programmes) in Nigeria and the direct supervision of the Crisis Prevention and Recovery. S/he will work with the close guidance and collaboration of the Conflict and Political Economy Specialist during the assignment.
- Master’s Degree in Political Sciences, Social Sciences, Law, International development, Public Administration, or related fields.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in undertaking action-oriented research on social, economic and political issues in Nigeria
- Ability to produce high quality and analytical reports and briefing notes (informed by research)
- Capacity to provide technical assistance to national counterparts, including through dialogue with high level political and administrative officers, including electoral administration, as well as donors and the international community.
- Previous experience in qualitative and quantitative data analysis and visualisation
- Strong writing and analytical skills
- Working experience in Anambra and South East region preferred
- Fluency in English and Ibgo (written and spoken) required.
- Additional local languages an asset
Technical / Functional Competencies
Results-Orientation and Development Effectiveness:
- Plans, prioritizes and produces quality results on time.
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting.
- Ability to lead implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programs and projects, mobilize resources.
- Ability to lead formulation and management of budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, and reporting.
Management and Leadership:
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Builds strong relationships with stakeholders, focuses on impact and results and responds positively to feedback.
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Sets clear performance goals and standards; executes responsibilities accordingly.
- Motivated and demonstrates a capacity to pursue personal development and learn.
Innovation and Judgment:
- Conceptualizes and analyses problems to identify key issues, underlying problems and how they relate.
- Contributes creative, practical ideas and approaches to deal with challenging situation.
- Strives for quality client-centered services (internal/external) when making decisions and taking action.
Job Knowledge and Expertise:
- Demonstrates substantive and technical knowledge to meet responsibilities and post requirements with excellence.
- Proves knowledge of development programming, conflict analysis, capacity assessment, stakeholder engagement and community mobilization
Payment Modalities and Specifications
- An individual contract will be issued by UNDP. The financial proposal must be expressed through a lumpsum (all inclusive). Payments will be linked to deliverables. The contract price is fixed regardless of changes in the cost components.
Recommended Presentation of Offer:
The following documents are requested:
- Duly accomplished Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability using the template provided by UNDP.
- Personal CV indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and at least three (3) professional references.
- Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment, and a methodology on how he/she will approach and complete the assignment.
- Financial Proposal that indicates the all-inclusive fixed total contract price, supported by a breakdown of costs, as per template provided.
Application Closing Date
11th July, 2022 (Midnight New York, USA)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here to download the Offeror’s Letter
- Individual consultants interested in applying for this position must complete their application using the Template for Offeror’s Letter to UNDP confirming interest and availability for the Individual Contractor (IC) assignment. The methodology, other documents and the Financial Proposal files MUST BE COMPLETELY SEPARATE (but submitted together as a zip file) If unable to submit zip file, kindly submit CV with Technical Proposal only. The financial proposal (Offeror’s Letter to UNDP confirming interest and availability for the Individual Contractor (IC) assignment) shall be encrypted with different passwords and clearly labelled. Financial Proposal without password will be disqualified.
- The password for opening the Financial Proposal should be provided only upon request of UNDP. UNDP will request password only from bidders whose Technical Proposal has been found to be technically responsive. Failure to provide correct password may result in the proposal being rejected.