FAO is committed to ensuring – gender, balanced geographic distribution and linguistic diversity – among its staff and the international consultants it employs, to best serve Member States in all regions.
- FAO is committed to ensuring the diversity of its workforce, ensuring balanced representation of women and men as well as nationalities, profiles and cultures.
- Women, nationals ( e ) s of unrepresented or underrepresented Member States and persons with disabilities with the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.
- Everyone working for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to respect the values of FAO.
- FAO, as the specialized agency of the United Nations, has adopted a zero tolerance policy with regard to behavior incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of power and discrimination.
- The references and background of all selected candidates will be subject to rigorous verification.
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
As part of its technical assistance which aims to contribute to the reduction of poverty and social inequalities including gender inequalities by promoting a blue economy, FAO supports the Ivorian government in the preparation of a reform and investment framework to further involve the potential in ocean resources, coastal and inland waters of Côte d’Ivoire to transform the national economy and diversify the pillars of growth, the creation of wealth and the emergence of jobs in conditions of reduction of environmental degradation and risks and the improvement of the sharing of wealth.
To this end, it is agreed to carry out a specific study which aims to : ( i ) identify the main drivers of the blue economy and develop a national investment plan for its promotion and ( ii ) carry out the detailed feasibility study of a priority promotion program of the blue economy including strengthening national public and private capacities.
The National Specialist in Tourism and Eco-Tourism will be placed ( e ) under the general responsibility of the FAO Representative in Côte d’Ivoire, supervision of the Assistant to the Program Officer and under the technical supervision of the FAO Program Coordinator in connection with the National Coordination of the project.
Area of specialization
As part of the AfDB Technical Assistance Program implemented by FAO in support of the government of Côte d’Ivoire, the tourism and ecotourism specialist should contribute to the preparation of the Unified Strategic Framework for the Blue Economy ( CaSUEB ), to the preparation of an Investment Plan for the EB ( PNIEB ). Under the technical supervision of the Program Coordinator, it will work in close cooperation with the National Project Coordination Unit and all the consultants coordinated by FAO in the framework of the conduct of Studies relating to these three outputs.
To this end, work under the technical supervision of the FAO Project Coordinator in close cooperation with stakeholders in the tourism sector, fisheries and environmental protection ( private and public ) in order to develop the links and niches of opportunities likely to be supported by strengthening fishing communities and fish sellers and in order to to contribute to the development of businesses and income opportunities contributing to a reduction in impacts on fishery resources, improvement of product quality, empowerment and securing the positions of women and fishermen in value chains.He will also have to identify the potentials and constraints that arise in the face of the development of the coastal and maritime tourism sectors ( bathing ) in order to propose within the framework of the Blue Economy Strategy the priority axes to be included in the CaSUEB and the investment projects most suited to the implementation of its opportunities. This is in view of the actions in favor of adaptation to risks and climate change and actions in favor of energy transition and protection of ocean and coastal ecosystems. This is in view of the actions in favor of adaptation to risks and climate change and actions in favor of energy transition and protection of ocean and coastal ecosystems. This is in view of the actions in favor of adaptation to risks and climate change and actions in favor of energy transition and protection of ocean and coastal ecosystems.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Draw up a detailed inventory of opportunities related to the seaside tourism and ecotourism sectors in connection with ocean and coastal ecosystems and resources. If possible supported by mapped and geo-referenced elements.
- Establish a detailed review of the strategies, programs and development plan for seaside, coastal and maritime tourism, highlighting the potentials and constraints associated with it.
- Take stock of decent jobs and capacities to take into account interests or people from coastal communities, through the game of improving their income in their own food sector, fishing, aquaculture, maritime transport, ecotourism, nauticalism…) or by the training game adapted to take into account the youngest members of these coastal communities trained in tourism or ecotourism professions.
- Help define the blue strategy axes in relation to these two sectors under the different aspects of occupation, trades, opportunity to create value and jobs.
- Analyze the ways and means of strengthening the links in contextual situations between the activities of these artisanal fishing communities, women fish sellers and tourism or ecotourism activities that can lead to a winning / winning stowage according to the criteria and expected from the blue economy ;
- Participate in exchanges with stakeholders from these different sectors and institutions linked to these sectors at local and national level by assessing within them the physical and intangible investment needs necessary for an inclusive blue economy.
- Formalize in the form of projects the associated reconciliations and pilot experiences according to several specific action frameworks with positive interactions articulated between fishing / tourism, fishing / ecotourism, fishing / local or territorial government markets.
- Identify and quantify the elements to be taken into account in the National Investment Plan for the Blue Economy which are part of the rapprochement with the economy of tourism and ecotourism.
- Contribute to intersectoral and multi-actor workshops and platforms
These activities will also allow the development of a framework for consolidating economic ties, social and business in support of the tourism sector as well as lines of work regarding the means of financing traditional activities, bringing them into line with good practices acting on reducing the loss of natural resources and minimizing environmental impacts. The Specialist should contribute to :
- Propose axes for strengthening the links between the market for artisanal fishery products and hotel chains for the promotion of local artisanal fishery products ( adoption of certain forms of processing), in order to contribute to reducing the volumes of imported products and to the development of short circuits with a reduced energy impact, a positive contribution to the CO2 balance, an improved value chain in quality ( responsible fishing label ), a secure and pooled investment capacity for craft activities between sectors in contractual form, improved access to resources, positive impacts in terms of benefits for women and fishing communities;
- Prepare a framework for strengthening fishing communities by developing cooperative projects within professional organizations to obtain means for the conversion of professional fishing to recreational fishing or sport through pooled pilot investments, likely to strengthen the income and resources of professional organizations, their involvement in the development of tourism and ecotourism. Jobs as well as on the conditions of exercise of sea trades ( safety at sea, insurance, evolution of fisherman’s status and of women processors or traders ) will be improved within a framework of cooperative investment likely to evolve then towards a strengthening of individual financing capacities for access to new trades fishing / tourism / ecotourism interface.
- Identifier les possibilités et proposer un cadre de rapprochement entre les activités liées à l’écotourisme et le développement des opportunités d’emplois pour les jeunes diplômés nationaux (dans les actions de conservation et protection en lien avec le tourisme bleue, espèces protégées d’intérêt touristique, zones littorales protégées ou aires marines protégées, salines…
Le travail devra tirer profit des autres programmes mis en œuvre par la FAO ou par l’ensemble des Partenaires Techniques et Financiers en appui au gouvernement de la Côte d’Ivoire et en lien avec les secteurs visés (tourisme, pêche, aquaculture, environnement, énergies renouvelables, changement climatique…).
LES CANDIDATURES SERONT EXAMINÉES EN REGARD DES CRITÈRES SUIVANTS :
Conditions minimales à remplir
- Formation diplômante reconnue.
- Professional experience of more than 5 in the tourism and ecotourism sectors or support to communities and having a knowledge of the context specific to Côte d’Ivoire with strong environmental sensitivity.
- Current knowledge of French with high editorial quality.
- Ivorian nationality or be resident in the country with a regular work permit.
Basic skills required by FAO
- Attention to results
- Have team spirit
- Meaning of communication
- Establishment of constructive relationships
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
Technical / functional skills
- Mastery and IT autonomy on communication and dissemination tools
- Strong organizational and networking autonomy
- Capacity to work in a team and strong capacity to write technical pleadings on fishing and aquaculture files falling within the framework of the principles and objectives of the EB
- Ability to quickly read economic reports and technical notes and to initiate an extension process
- Capacity and strong motivation for teamwork and exchanges with Professional Socio Organizations and civil society
- Functional autonomy for making appointments, preparation of meetings of an institutional nature or partners in the private sector, for the organization of mobility on the national territory.
Please note that all candidates must adhere to the values of FAO – commitment to the Organization, respect for everyone, integrity and transparency.
- FAO does not collect fees at any stage of recruitment ( application, interview, file processing ).
- Incomplete application files will not be examined. For any questions or requests for assistance, please contact Careers@fao.org : .
- Applications received after the closing date of the notice will not be accepted.
- Please note that FAO only takes into account university degrees and degrees issued by recognized institutions listed in the World Higher Education Database, the list updated by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. To access the list, please click here www.whed.net/
- For other questions, please consult the Employment web page at FAO: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/fr/
HOW TO POSTULATE To apply, please complete the online form on the FAO recruitment website, Jobs at FAO. Incomplete application files will not be examined. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to register their applications with a largely sufficient period of time before the deadline. To get help, write to: Careers@fao.org.
FAO IS A NON-FUMEUR AREA.