Job Identification : 10926
Locations : Dili, Timor-Leste
Posting Date : 05/31/2023, 08:09 AM
Apply Before : 06/14/2023, 08:09 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Grade : NOB
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Rotational/Non Rotational : Non-Rotational
Contract Duration : 1 Year with Possibility for extension
Education and Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 2 year(s) experience
Experience using office software packages and web-based management systems.
Required Languages : Fluency in English; working knowledge of Tetum, Portuguese and Bahasa is an added advantage
Working knowledge of Tetum, Portugues and Bahasa is an advantage
Vacancy Timeline : 2 Weeks
Job Category : Adolescent & Youth
The Programme Analyst analyses and assesses relevant political, social and economic trends, guiding and facilitating the delivery of UNFPA’s programmes.
You will report to the UNFPA Assistant Representative
[i] No expectancy of renewal in accordance with UN Staff Regulations 4.5
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Working within a large and complex Country Office (CO) environment, you will support the effective management of UNFPA activities in the areas of population and development, reproductive health and gender. Through substantive analysis and assessment of political, social and economic trends, you will contribute to project formulation and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and national development frameworks.
You will monitor results achieved during implementation, guiding the appropriate application of systems and procedures, and developing enhancements as required.
You would be responsible for:
- In collaboration with Government counterparts, NGOs and other partners, contributing to the design and implementation of the country programme and its component projects, aligning with Government priorities and UNFPA programme policies and procedures.
- Ensuring appropriate monitoring and oversight mechanisms and systems are established and implemented.
- Analyzing and interpreting the political, social and economic environment relevant to UNFPA activities, and identifying opportunities for UNFPA assistance and intervention.
- Analyzing policy papers, strategy documents and national development plans; preparing briefs and inputs for policy dialogue, technical assistance coordination, and development frameworks.
- Assessing implications of new policy developments and strategies on programme execution, and ensuring their integration.
- Establishing collaborative relationships with executing agencies, experts, government counterparts and other UN agencies to facilitate timely and efficient delivery of project inputs.
- Assisting in implementing knowledge management strategies to capture lessons learned and best practices, sharing these with management for future planning supporting training needs of project personnel
- Supporting the advocacy and resource mobilization strategy of the CO, by ensuring preparation of relevant documentation, i.e. project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor profiles, and participating in related meetings and public events.
Qualifications and Experience:
Advanced degree in social science, political science, population, demography and/or other related fields.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least two years’ professional experience in the field of adolescent and youth development programs, with a strong technical background in these areas. Managerial experience in a small team, a plus.
- Solid experience in designing and implementing adolescent and youth development programs in the government, civil society organization or a UN agency, particularly in terms of employability and employment, participation and empowerment.
- Knowledge and experience in managing government relationships that are critical for UNFPA to achieve its mandate in Timor-Leste
- Experience in managing interagency working groups, an advantage.
- Experience using office software packages and web-based management systems.
Fluency in English; working knowledge of Tetum, Portuguese and Bahasa is an added advantage.
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Communicating for impact
- Advocacy/ Advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/ building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Delivering results-based programmes
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilisation
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.