Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations specialising in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and under privileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Monitoring & Evaluation Manager
Scope of Work
- The M&E Manager shall be responsible for technical oversight in planning, coordination and supervision of M&E activities before, during and after SMC delivery for the PF/SMC programme in eight states (Bauchi, Borno, Kebbi, Kogi, Nasarawa, Oyo, Plateau and Sokoto) and the FCT, Abuja.
- S/he will provide expert technical inputs to state MC/Senior M&E Officers, their state and LGA counterparts in campaign personnel database development/finalization, data management, data quality assurance, LQAS, analysis, interpretation of findings, EoC reviews and writing of progress and scientific reports.
- Furthermore, this Manager would be an integral part of digitization efforts/direction of the PF/SMC programme by being an integral and active part of the country and international digitization subgroup.
- The M&E Manager while reporting to the Technical Specialist, would work with the Programme Director, Country Office M&E Manager, Senior/Zonal and State Programme Managers, Data Analysis Specialist and HMIS Officer towards the delivery of all MEAL activities at the national, state and LGA levels, plus in the sentinel sites.
Key Working Relationships
- The M&E Manager will work closely with the Programme Director to operationalize all MEAL components of the programme.
- S/he would be line managed by the PF/SMC Technical Specialist and will have dotted line management with the Country Office M&E Manager. The post holder will provide technical oversight to the Senior M&E Officers working in the programme states.
- S/he would work very closely with the Operational Research (OR) Specialist in the analysis of research findings and mainstreaming same into better programme outcomes.
- Technical quality assurance for the job will be provided by the Senior Country Technical Coordinator (SCTC); while the holder would be part of the MC/international M&E community of practice (CoP).
Management and planning (35%):
- Support the finalization/review of SMC programme M&E plans and frameworks as listed below:
- Log frames with appropriate programme indicators, targets and data collection methods.
- Tools and methods for M&E components of the annual SMC implementation.
- Routine monitoring systems, including databases, systems for data collection, maintenance and storage; and
- Templates and schedules for routine reports including quantitative and narrative reports (where necessary).
- Take the lead in planning M&E activities in the approved work plan and coordination of implementation ensuring high level of technical quality and work closely with the Technical Specialist to ensure that the M&E plan is aligned with the overall programme work plan and is within the budget allocated for M&E.
- Support State Senior M&E Officers in the implementation of M&E activities in approved programme work-plan.
- Ensure high quality data are available in useable format on a regular and timely basis for programmatic decision making by facilitating data collection and collation.
Data management, reporting, surveys, and dissemination (35%):
- Provide technical support for routine data collection and management including IT applications for data transfer where needed.
- Support the states in the development/finalization of the personnel database and composite national database for the PF/SMC programme.
- Support the conduct of successful monthly EoC reviews, LQAS and annual EoR survey.
- Plan and coordinate quarterly routine monitoring visits to project supported sites and conduct field visits to validate data and monitor the quality and completeness of collected data.
- Assist in analysis and presentations of project data at national level.
- Participate in project assessments, evaluations and design including development of survey protocols with support from country office and advisors.
- Participates in regular documentation of lessons learnt on various interventions by the project.
- Work with relevant UK/HQ and Country Office colleagues, NMEP and state stakeholders towards appropriate impact evaluation of the SMC programme.
Knowledge Management, Capacity Building and Learning (10%):
- Work with the Technical Specialist to develop training or capacity building plans related to M&E and implement them as necessary.
- Support M&E training planning and rollout at the state levels.
- Ensure that state M&E and programme teams regularly review and accordingly adjust M&E plans and tools in the light of changes and needs in the field context based on monitoring data and reflection sessions.
- Support learning-to-action events and reflection sessions to systematically analyze data for programmatic use for the state and for the national level, and to document and incorporate lessons learned into programme design and implementation.
- Conduct regular data review and analysis for feedback to states for program improvement, and for updates to national level (MC and government).
- Work closely with the PD and TS to support programme staff in key activities including development of a learning agenda, organizing regular learning events, supporting operations research, and reflecting, documentation, and communication of learning initiatives.
- Actively participate in the M&E community of practice (CoP).
- Support knowledge management systems (MC/External Relations/Communications) and practices to gather, document and share best practices with project team, MC country office, government and technical partners.
- Support state programme staff to engage key populations in M&E programme performance and to incorporate participatory methods into M&E systems in the states.
- Support the state M&E Specialists in the orientation of programme staff and partners on the basic principles and practices of beneficiary accountability in the states.
- Support the development and implementation of feedback and response channels to reflect the preferences of community members and beneficiaries.
- Support the states to ensure that beneficiary feedbacks are adequately documented, addressed, analyzed, and utilized by programme teams.
Networks and representations (10%):
- Develop and maintain relationships with NMEP and relevant Ministry of Health officials, so as to stay abreast of and involved in related SMC, HMIS and M&E developments.
- Represent MC at national level as designated by the Technical Specialist or other PF/SMC or MC senior management; and make presentations at technical meetings and events related to M&E.
Qualifications and experience:
- A Postgraduate Degree in Public Health (with focus on Epidemiology / Bio-Statistics) or a relevant social science discipline such as Demography or Statistics;
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a related role;
- 3 years’ previous experience in a supervisory role at middle management level;
- Hands-on knowledge and expertise of database management systems (Epi-info, DHIS2, LMIS, HMIS, STATA, SPSS) as well as data and statistical analysis;
- Previous experience in the Public Health sector and at the community level and on a malaria project;
- Experience in use of evidence to inform programming and policy;
- Significant experience in survey design and implementation; and
- Experience in capacity building/ transferring of skills.
- Experienced in applying qualitative methods of data collection and analysis; and
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Proficient in the development of data entry programmes, using statistical analysis software (Epi Info, EpiData, Excel, Access, Stata, SPSS) and management of project M&E systems;
- Excellent communications and presentation skills; and
- Excellent written and spoken English.
Application Closing Date
3rd July, 2022 at 23:59 BST.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This role is conditional of Malaria Consortium securing funding for this role.
- Due to the nature of this role we will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis and the role might be filled and closed before the closing date. Early applications are encouraged.
- To apply for this position you will need to have the right to work in Nigeria.