Migration Health Informatics Assistant
Manila (Global) Administrative Centre (MAC)
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Job classification : General Staff
Grade : G-6
Duty station : Manila (Global) Administrative Centre (MAC)
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Closing date : 19 May 2023
Duration of Assignment : One Year with possibility of extension
Salary : Php 746,790 per annum net of taxes
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall guidance of the Director of the Migration Health Department, the various units of the Health Assessment Programme Global Support Unit provide services to all missions and medical field operations worldwide. In particular, the Migration Health Informatics (MHI) unit is responsible for operational medical software applications, data repositories and statistical reporting.
Under the overall supervision of the Migration Health Informatics Manager and the direct supervision of the Senior Migration Health Informatics Officer and in close coordination with the Senior Health Systems Analyst, the successful candidate will support the unit in all functions currently carried out by the Senior Migration Health Informatics Officer. In particular, the successful candidate will help implementing migration health informatics and data management services, training, and support for field missions utilizing corporate software applications with medical components. The successful candidate will play a major role in first level medical applications, user support to field operations and communications with missions related to MHI data validation and reporting obligations. Lastly, the successful candidate will also assist in developing and maintaining the MHI documentation system, application requirements gathering, process and systems analysis for medical applications, training of the field staff, participate in testing of new software and support the team’s efforts in providing input to research reports and health studies.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Provide technical advice on the medical components and health assessment process to the ITC/Software development unit and participate with relevant ITC teams in the development of operationally sound software for specific migration health-related activities.
- Provide first level user support to MHD staff in field operations, missions, regional offices and HQ in all aspects of the usage of operational systems such as Migration Management Operational Systems Application (MiMOSA), UKTB and eMedical.
- Assist in the roll out of the on-going and new medical applications and components.
- Be the first line of communication with our network of health informatics focal points in the field missions and partner agencies.
- Assist in the implementation of activities related to provision of Teleradiology and other health informatics support, as needed by the field missions.
- Support MHI periodic data validation and quality control activities required for operational and statistical reporting.
Business Process and Systems Analysis
- Assist the Health Systems Analyst and MHI Officer in identifying, analyzing and documenting business requirements for the new functionalities, changes and improvements in migrant application systems. Ensure that related activities are done in close collaboration with field users and other subject matter experts.
- Prepare and maintain the updated business requirements documents for medical software, including process flows, standard operating procedures and use cases. Maintain and monitor issue tracking systems and follow-up on any pending issues.
Medical Software Quality Assurance and Support
- Participate in the functional and integration testing of medical softwares and other applications with medical components.
- Assist in the face-to-face and remote user acceptance testing among medical super users in the field.
- Prepare, execute and maintain the test scripts to validate software functionality against medical process and system requirements.
- Provide technical support to the field operations and missions in configuring and using the information systems.
- Create and maintain documentation for IOM medical software, online help documents, reference documents, training material, and research papers, internal and external reports related to the medical component of the MiMOSA database, the global database for the United Kingdom Tuberculosis Detection Programme (UKTBDP), Australian eHealth System and other data collection and management systems.
- Assist in the preparation, coordination and conducting of training programs and other activities related to internal and external medical software applications across missions implementing the health assessment programs.
- Develop and update training contents and materials for IOM medical software and MHI data applications.
- Support the face-to-face and remote trainings.
- University degree in Social Science, Health Science, Health Information Systems or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with (4) four years of relevant professional experience.
- Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with (6) six years of relevant professional experience.
- Specialized trainings in medical subjects, public health, or statistics an advantage.
- Experience in health informatics, including actual work with electronic health records and healthcare software systems development and implementation as business and quality control analyst, technical or medical writer and trainer.
- Thorough understanding in interpreting medical information management.
- Experience in the development and implementation of training courses on health information systems, using face-to-face, remote, or e-learning modalities.
- Ability to assimilate and convey technical material into clear, well-written documentation.
- Excellent content organization and documentation skills. Familiarity with documentation issues such as style template management, revision and version/change control, indexes, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office, statistical and database software packages.
- Proven background in health information systems.
For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
Inclusion & respect for diversity
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating the ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations.
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrate this in daily work and decision making.
- Challenges prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
Integrity & transparency
- Upholds and promotes the Standards of Conduct and Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the organization’s resources reliably and sustainably.
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter and willingness to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in self and others through daily work and activities.
- Adapts quickly to change and is decisive and versatile in face of uncertainty.
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems, and remains calm in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
- Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
- Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
- Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
- Listens and seeks to understand without bias, and responds appropriately.
- Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others’ views and ideas and respects their contribution.
Managing and sharing knowledge
- Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
- Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
- Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
- Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
- Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
- Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others is recognized.
- Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the team achieve its goals.
- Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
- Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
- Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs.
- Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts.
How to apply
Interested applicants may send their applications to email@example.com no later than 19 May 2023. VN Number and Position Title (VN 084/2023 – Migration Health Informatics Assistant ) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Applications must consist of a cover letter, a duly-accomplished IOM Personal History Form, and a résumé highlighting education and experience relative to the above qualifications.
IOM welcomes applicants from qualified individuals, irrespective of their race, religion, skin, color, nationality, age, disability status, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family structure, mental health status, or any other characteristic.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Kindly note that this position is subject to funding availability.