Professional specialized in economics for causes and agents of forest transformation
Job Announcement : 03/May/2023
Date of cancellation of publication : 17/May/2023, 21:59:00
Organizational Unit : FAO COLOMBIA
Type of position : Temporary work
Requisition Type: NPP (National Project Personnel)
Grade Level: N/A
Main location : Colombia-Bogota
Duration : 3 months trial period, renewable
Post Number : N/A
FAO strives for gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and international consultants, in order to best serve the Organization’s Member Nations in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of gender, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of underrepresented or unrepresented Member States and people with disabilities who possess the necessary qualifications are encouraged to apply.
- All people who work for FAO are held to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
FAO is the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, which leads the international effort for a world free from hunger and malnutrition in which food and agriculture contribute to improving the living standards of all its inhabitants. , especially the poorest, in a sustainable way from the economic, social and environmental point of view. We work to contribute to the fulfillment of the 2030 Agenda and its global goals by promoting sustainable, inclusive and resilient food systems to achieve better production, nutrition, environment and life.
The vacancy is located in Bogotá with trips to the project’s areas of action. The position belongs to the area of Natural Resources and Governance.
Under the general supervision of the FAO Representative in Colombia, the Program Officer, the technical supervision of the senior specialist in natural resources and governance and the direct supervision of the national project coordinator.
Field of specialization
The Professional specialized in economics for causes and agents of forest transformation is responsible for leading the economic component for the strategy of green municipalities, complying with FAO standards.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Contribute to the development of Activity 1.2 “Support the implementation of a strategy for Green Municipalities”, defined in the framework of the product “Strengthening of national and local capacities for monitoring and control”, of the project.
- Work in coordination with IDEAM’s Ecosystems and Environmental Information Subdirectorate or whoever is delegated by IDEAM from this unit.
- Prepare a detailed work plan and schedule of activities for the development of contract activities, agreed with the leader of the C&A Component of the SMByC and the project coordinator.
- Collect relevant economic and social information for the characterization and monitoring of the causes and agents of forest transformation during the contractual period.
- Carry out the analysis of the economic and social variables associated with the characterization and monitoring of the causes and agents of the transformation of the forest during the contractual period.
- Technically accompany the processes of analysis of the patterns and dynamics of the causes and agents of forest transformation at the national level and / or in prioritized areas.
- Build the methodological proposal and carry out analyzes of socioeconomic factors related to natural forest conservation for prioritized areas associated with local initiatives, following the guidelines of the Ideam and according to the needs of the GCF-Vision Amazon project for its prioritized areas.
- Support the development of a comparative socioeconomic analysis between municipalities with high deforestation and municipalities with a high percentage of natural forest in prioritized areas, as a contribution to the development of a green municipal strategy for the Colombian Amazon.
- Develop methodologies and carry out econometric analyzes to support the characterization of causes of deforestation and / or GHG emissions and the differential contribution of these drivers.
- Technically support the process of construction and / or evaluation of the national Forest Emissions Reference Level in relation to adjustment for national circumstances and according to the available information.
- Build the methodological proposal and carry out the cost-effectiveness analyzes of the implementation of at least two control measures for deforestation and/or other sources of emissions by acronym in English AFOLU ( Agriculture, Forestry and other land uses ) in prioritized areas, according to the available information and following the IDEAM guidelines, and according to the needs of the GCF-Visión Amazonia project for its prioritized areas.
- Support with socioeconomic technical inputs for the analysis of causes and agents aimed at the construction of the report of the annual deforestation figure for the year 2022 and other reports generated by the IDEAM Forest and Carbon Monitoring System, and those specifically required by the project within the framework of the construction of a strategy of green municipalities for the Colombian Amazon.
- Generate technical or scientific inputs required during the contractual period and aimed at generating publications, other material for disseminating the results of the work of the technical team or for publication on the technological platform or web service, following the guidelines of the agreement with IDEAM and the project’s communications strategy (FAO).
- The publications produced within the framework of the project must follow the procedure in the Publication Workflow System (PWS) to comply with the norm that indicates storing publications in the FAO document repository; This process is the responsibility of the authors of the documents and will be part of the delivered products.
- Technically accompany the modeling processes of the transformation of the forest by the team of Causes and Agents of the SMByC of IDEAM.
- Make the planning and implementation of workshops and other events for socialization, training, collection or exchange of information, designated by IDEAM in development of the contract.
- Submit monthly progress reports on the activities of the contract and the work plan.
- Participate in work meetings, courses, presentations, and other socialization, training, or capacity transfer events to which they are designated by IDEAM or by the project, including the gender approach for monitoring project activities.
- Ensure the integrity, security and confidentiality of the information handled in the exercise of its activities.
- Carry out its activities, in accordance with the parameters and guidelines established by FAO.
- The consultant must consult, study and appropriate the protocol for reporting cases of sexual exploitation and abuse of communities (delivered by Human Resources Management) and report immediately, in accordance with it, the cases that are known to them. FAO Colombia has zero tolerance for any practice of sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Promote the generation and dissemination of good practices in gender matters in accordance with the FAO gender equality policy.
- Write, document and present reports on the results of the execution of the planned activities.
- Any other work related to the topic in charge that is required by the coordination of the project, which are related to the nature of the position.
- Facilitate the documentation and systematization of strategic experiences of FAO.
- Promptly fill out the position delivery certificate at the time of withdrawal from the organization and in case of exercising supervisory functions, follow up on the correct delivery of the position of the personnel in charge.
CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUATED ACCORDING TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Professional in economics, essential postgraduate degree (desirable master’s degree) in environmental and related issues.
- Minimum five (5) years of general work experience and four (4) years of specific experience in natural resource-related cost-benefit analysis, natural resource-related opportunity cost analysis, environmental economic valuation, or econometric modeling of change in land use/cover.
- Practical knowledge of Spanish (level C) spoken and written.
- Colombian nationality.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results-based approach
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
- Knowledge and experience in geographic information systems; knowledge and/or experience in modeling land use/land cover change; forest use and management; work with rural communities.
- Ability to prepare concise reports in accordance with United Nations standards.
- Experience working with multidisciplinary and multicultural groups.
- Management skills for articulation with regional, local and national actors, public and private.
- Ability to work in a team, good interpersonal relationships and assertive communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team and establish networks and alliances.
- Leadership, initiative, creativity, responsibility and flexibility.
- Recognized capacity for the elaboration and development of work plans.
- Ability to act at all times with extreme discretion regarding the documents, information and materials of the United Nations.
- Permanent attitude and behavior of cordiality, composure, respect and collaboration with all the people and organizations with whom he interacts.
- FAO does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing).
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help or have questions, please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the application submission deadline has expired will not be accepted.
- We inform you that FAO will only consider degrees or academic credentials obtained at an educational institution included in the World Database on Higher Education, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For all other questions visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/ .
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all, and integrity and transparency.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
- If you would like to apply, go to the FAO recruitment website ( Jobs at FAO) and complete your online profile.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
- We advise candidates to apply well in advance of the deadline.
- If you need help, contact: Careers@fao.org.
SMOKING IS PROHIBITED ON FAO PREMISES