Laboratory technical professional
Job announcement : Aug 25/2023
Publication cancellation date : Sep 8, 2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit: FLBOL
Job type : Temporary work
Requirement Type: PSA ( Personal Service Agreements )
Grade Level: N / A
Main location : Home-Based
Duration: 4 months
Position Number: N / A
_ FAO seeks to ensure gender, geographic and linguistic diversity among its staff and its international consultants, in order to serve the Member States of the Organization in the best possible way in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving diversity in its workforce in terms of sex, nationality, origin and culture.
- Women, nationals of under-represented or under-represented Member States and persons with disabilities with the necessary qualifications are encouraged to submit their applications.
- All persons working for FAO must comply with the highest standards of professional integrity and conduct and uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a specialized agency of the United Nations, applies a zero tolerance policy for conduct incompatible with its statute, objectives and mandate, in particular sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All requests will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
FAO plays a key role in supporting governments, producers, traders and other stakeholders to strengthen food safety and contain antimicrobial resistance ( RAM ).
RAM activities at FAO are carried out within the framework of the FAO Action Plan on RAM 2021-2025, which identifies five key objectives to help focus efforts and accelerate progress in containing ADR from the food and agriculture sector: i ) Increase stakeholder awareness and participation, ii ) Strengthen monitoring and investigation tasks, iii ) Facilitate the adoption of good practices, iv ) Promote the responsible use of antimicrobials, v ) Strengthen governance and resource allocation in a sustainable way.
FAO contributes to the development and implementation of science-based guidance for the management of foodborne AMR.
The Laboratory Technical Professional reports directly to the responsible officer designated by the Organization.
Field of specialization
The Organization will hire a Professional ( a ) to provide their experience, skills and knowledge in developing specific activities. The possibility of extension is subject to satisfactory performance and depending on the resources and needs of the Organization. Based on the work plan and in agreement with the regional project coordinator, the work includes specific missions.
The purpose of the vacancy announcement is to identify qualified specialists with experience in quality assurance systems from test laboratories and laboratory techniques for the execution of antimicrobial susceptibility tests ( AST ).
The activities, schedule and work plan will be based on the FAO Action Plan on AMR 2021-2025 and the actions prioritized by the regional and national coordination of the project.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Coordinate, prepare and implement activities for capacity development in the execution of AST in an animal health and food safety laboratory.
- Coordinate, prepare and apply activities that allow the implementation of a quality management system in an animal health and food safety laboratory.
- The activities, schedule and work plan of the consultant will be based on the FAO Action Plan on AMR 2021-2025 and the actions prioritized by the regional and national coordination of the project.
CANDIDATES WILL BE EVALUATED ACCORDING TO THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- University degree in veterinary medicine, zootechnical engineer, food engineer or related sciences.
- At least 5 years of experience in management for testing laboratory quality assurance. Particularly in the application of ISO standards for laboratory quality assurance.
- At least 3 years of experience in diagnostic techniques for the identification of microorganisms in animal or food samples.
- Working knowledge of Spanish and intermediate knowledge of English.
- Bolivian nationality or resident in the country with a regular work permit.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results-based approach
- Establishing effective relationships
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
Technical / functional skills
- Knowledge of international methods for antimicrobial susceptibility testing ( CLSI, EUCAST ) and experience in applying antimicrobial susceptibility testing.
- Desirable experience as a testing laboratory quality management auditor.
- Knowledge of national regulations for the operation of laboratories.
- They provide experience in RAM and food safety work in the food and agriculture sector.
- Familiarity with the Codex Alimentarius.
- The candidates will be evaluated according to the profile and the functions to be developed.
- Candidates must reside in Bolivia.
- Candidates need a stable internet connection for remote work.
It is noted that all candidates should adhere to the Organization’s values of commitment to FAO, respect for all and integrity and transparency.
- FAO does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing).
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help or have questions, please contact: [email protected]
- Applications received after the application deadline has expired will not be accepted.
- Please be informed that FAO will only consider academic degrees or credentials obtained from an educational institution included in the Global Higher Education Database, which is a list maintained by the International Association of Universities ( IAU ) / UNESCO. The list can be consulted at: www.whed.net/
- For any other questions visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/es/.
HOW TO APPLY Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile. We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT