TITLE OF THE POST: IT Operations Assistant
CONTRACT TYPE: SC5 Contract Service
UNITE / DIVISION: IT
RENTAL RENTAL: Menaka
OPENING DATE: 14.06.2023
The United Nations World Food Program ( PAM ) is the largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger in the world. WFP’s mission is to help the world achieve zero hunger. WFP works around the world every day to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, especially women and children, can have access to the nutritious food they need.
Mali is currently the epicenter of instability in the Sahel. Marginalization and limited access to services and opportunities, combined with inter-community tensions, have contributed to the expansion of non-state armed groups, illicit trafficking and extremism. In recent years, insecurity has spread from the north of the sparsely populated country to its more densely populated center, which represents a significant part of agricultural production and more than 300,000 internally displaced persons have been registered. The socio-political situation remains very unstable during this transition. Malnutrition remains a major public health problem in Mali with the prevalence of acute malnutrition estimated at 10%, of which 6 out of 11 regions have a threshold above 10%.The security situation is characterized by recurrent crime ( robberies, intra and inter-community conflicts, robberies, assassinations ), the presence of uncontrolled armed groups, and the terrorist threat. While the joint forces ( MSA, the GATIA and the FAMAs ) are engaged in a fight against terrorism, in particular along the Mali-Niger and Mali-Burkina borders. Radical groups rely on persistent tensions and widespread frustration to gain influence and spread terror in the area through reprisals and asymmetric attacks against people considered to be close to the interposition forces and armed opposition groups. Added to this are inter-community conflicts. All of these events generate massive displacements of populations in the Menaka circle.Recurring food insecurity with several populations in phase 3-5 according to the results of the 2022 Harmonized Framework and the prevalence rates of MAG increased overall to 10.8% at the national level, showing a further deterioration compared to last year: Gao ( 16.1% ), Ménaka ( 14% ) and Kidal ( 5% ). According to the analysis of acute malnutrition in the CPI ( IPC AMN ), the nutritional situation of 28 of the 56 circles is classified in crisis ( phase 3 of the CPI ) and the circles of Gao, Ansongo, Diéma, Nioro, Anderamboukane and Tidermane are currently classified as emergency ( phase 4 of the IPC ). Nearly 1.5 million children under the age of five are expected to suffer from acute malnutrition between June 2022 and May 2023. This is 19% more than the cases planned for 2021.The need to get closer to vulnerable people in order to offer them quality assistance and on time, the Mali World Food Program opens an office in Menaka.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
– Hold a secondary education diploma in the fields of IT, telecommunications, or related fields
Experience : – Have at least five ( 5 ) years of relevant experience in a similar position – Capable of providing ad hoc guidance to a wide range of staff – Previous experience of an NGO, the UN, or an international organization would be an asset.
– Maitrise du français ( level C ). Intermediate knowledge of English would be an asset.
MAIN FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES ( indicative and non-exhaustive list )
- Conduct maintenance tasks, such as control, diagnosis and optimization of systems, to verify that they are functioning properly and can be used easily and efficiently.
- Ensure the maintenance of technologies in accordance with controls relating to data and access security, in particular by carrying out current repair, configuration and storage tasks, to ensure that the IT equipment that WFP staff need is available.
- Prepare files and systems, such as website content and directories, for inventory and archiving, to ensure that the information is accurate and up to date.
- Assign tasks to other colleagues, ensuring that work is done within agreed standards and deadlines, to contribute to effective service delivery.
- Answer various questions about technologies and systems to help WFP staff provide the services expected of them.
- With the support of senior colleagues, train end users in technologies and systems to use them effectively.
- Carry out routine network hardware and software facilities, including testing and listing problems, to help keep technologies running smoothly.
- Take responsibility for managing information files, including updating web pages and statistical databases, to ensure that information is up to date and well structured.
- Install and operate telecommunications systems and equipment and ensure their maintenance, in order to optimize services in accordance with the standard operating procedures in force.
- Assist in the development of standard documents, such as training materials and web content on behalf of senior officials, to ensure that staff members have access to all the information they need on IT services and products.
- Propose improvements to methods and processes to contribute to the continuous improvement of IT services.
- Where appropriate, apply the emergency response processes and procedures defined to help meet emergency food assistance needs.
4P MAIN ORGANIZATIONAL CAPACITIES
Understanding and communicating strategic objectives: Helping teammates to set out the strategic objectives of the WFP. Being a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to the team’s work processes to the supervisor Make the mission a source of inspiration for our team : Explain the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities with teammates. Publicizing our mission in daily actions: Explain how the responsibilities of the unit will be used for WFP’s mission.
Find ways to build people’s skills: Forms junior teammates on new skills and abilities. Creating an inclusive culture: Seek opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds. Develop and provide constructive feedback: Served as a reference coach for colleagues in the same work area. Create a spirit « I want » / « We will do »: Continue progress towards the objectives and share this information regularly with the supervisor.
Encourage innovation and creative solutions : Explore ways to be systematically more efficient and precise in its own areas of work and share new working methods with colleagues Focus on achieving results: Focus on achieving results and monitor trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency Make commitments and meet them : Takes responsibility for its own tasks and informs the supervisor as soon as possible of any delays in meeting deadlines or commitments Be decisive :Decides independently of the measures to be taken in the face of critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field
Connect and share between WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnership with other units to the supervisor. Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals Be politically agile and adaptable: Understands the value of WFP teams and external partners in achieving the goals and objectives of the ‘crew. Understand the value WFP brings to partners: Aligns own activities with supervisor priorities to meet the needs of internal and external partners
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
This position is a Service Contract (SC) for a period of 12 Months.
Salary and Benefits
- 2 working days of annual leave per month
- Maternity/paternity leave
- 10 holidays a year
- Medical insurance for staff and their direct dependents
CLOSING DATE: 27.06.2023
THE FEMININE CANDIDACIES ARE DEEPLY ENCOURAGED
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process, including the offer stage. Any claim for payment should be denied and reported to the relevant local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
WFP applies a zero-tolerance approach to behaviors such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of power and discrimination.
All selected candidates will have to adhere to WFP standards of conduct and will therefore be subject to a rigorous background check internally or by third parties. Selected applicants must also provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Any false statement regarding the information provided during the recruitment process may result in disqualification or dismissal.